on 11 August 2014
This adapter is accurately made, robust, well-finished, and supplied with suitable screws. If you want to mount a 2.5" drive in a conventional drive bay and connect cables directly to the drive it will probably be very good - 5 stars. But if (like me) you want to mount the drive in a caddy belonging to a chassis with front-access drive bays it's useless, because the adapter DOESN'T give the drive the form factor of a standard 3.5" drive: the electrical connections on the drive+adapter combination are in a completely different place, so it won't fit a drive bay with a fixed socket. 0 stars this time! It would be perfectly possible to make an adapter to give a 2.5" drive a standard 3.5" form factor, and then it would work in any kind of chassis; I can't imagine why Quantek don't.
9 people found this helpful
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 14 August 2015
While technically it does exactly what it says on the tin (2.5" to 3.5" mounting plate for hard disks and solid state disks) for some unknowable reason the holes to mount it in a 3.5" hard disk bay are tapped with what I assume is the same M3 thread that is used to mount the SSD to the plate, instead of for the 6-32 screws that are normally used for this purpose (3.5" drive bays are universally 6-32!!). This makes it difficult to use this if for example you have a case with rubber washers between the hard disk mounts and the hard disk bays (like an Antec P180b, for example) and hence the case provides longer 6-32 screws to use with the hard disk that will not fit the M3 holes!

tl;dr: Don't buy this if you have to use screws that your case provided because there's no guarantee they'll fit. Otherwise it's fine.
4 people found this helpful
on 28 January 2017
Beware can only be mounted through the sides (sort of rack mount arrangement). Admittedly most PCs support this but a lot of small enclosures don't. If you look at a 3.5 inch disk there are 2 sets of holes that can be used. 2 on each side and 4 into the top of the drive (the bottom of a drive is all circuit board). So this permits you to side mount it or top mount it. One or other will work. This bracket means you don't have the same choice
on 18 April 2016
Bracket is made of sturdy metal and comes with a full set of screws to mount the drive and the bracket itself in the 3.5" slot.

However, it positions the SSD in the middle of the bracket, so the SATA connector is in a different place than where it would be on a 3.5" drive. This was a problem on my PC (Alienware X51) which has a fixed SATA connector. I had to bypass that and use an extra SATA cable but it's a bit messy.

If you have this kind of setup too I'd recommend another solution. It works fine and is very cheap if you just have loose SATA cables like most home-built PC.
on 19 October 2016
I bought this when upgrading my Asus Zen AiO Pro Z240ic from the pedestrian Toshiba drive that spoils the specification to an SSD. As it happens, I didn't need it but the tray looks OK and is cheap enough to be purchased for the spares box. As others have noted, it is only supplied with old fashioned screws - modern systems and drives are tending to use a smaller size now and this tray would get an extra star if it cam with a choice of screw sizes.
on 4 August 2015
Comes with all screws that you need to fit a 2.5" drive into a 3.5" bay, the bracket is fairly substantial and coated in a good quality paint. The star off is due to the fact you need to ensure you only just engage threads for the 2.5" drive before tightening down, even when holding up to the drive could see there was an ever so slight alignment issue, putting all four screws in first ensure it could be secured fully.

This was used for a SSD drive so the build was more than substantial for task. Would I buy another if I needed to? aye I would.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 1 January 2015
Bought a few of these, generally to mount 2.5" SSD drives in 3.5" bays. All of my PCs are HP, ranging from a Z820 to a Pavilion HPE... and I haven't had any show-stopping problems securely mounting a drive using this adapter bracket in any of them. Having said that, I'm using SSDs... which don't (IMO) necessarily need to be mounted truly horizontally/vertically and with every screw fixing hole available utilised. "As long as it doesn't rattle in the cargo hold, I'm sure it'll be fine..."

Comes with both 'drive-to-adaptor' and 'adaptor-to-chassis' mounting screws.

Recommended.
on 18 April 2014
I bought this product in order to fit my new SSD that I purchased to upgrade my computer. I received 8 screws in total, 4 one model and 4 another model. I fit the SSD just fine, however I wasn't able to screw in the plate to my computer with the other 4 screws provided since neither of them are long enough which is a disappointment.

Another thing that bugged me is that when I tried to screw in the plate to the computer, (with the screws provided by the case makers) the screw did not fit into the hole because the hole on the plate wasn't large enough, so beware of that too. Luckily the case has a locking mechanism that also locks the thing in place so I could manage without the screw.
on 14 December 2015
Absolutely no problem with this. Prime delivery had it with me next day, the included screws were exactly the right ones - 4x small black screws to attach the SSD to the cradle, and 4x silver screws to secure the cradle into a standard 3.5" drive bay in a desktop/tower case. The cut-out in the rear of the cradle made insertion of the power and data cables really easy.
Would recommend if you're fitting an SSD into a desktop/tower case which uses screws to secure the drives.
on 19 May 2015
Works well enough, plenty of screws provided for both securing the SSD and the bracket to the case. I concur with what other reviewers have said about it not being 100% suited to a 3.5" bay designed for front access, but IMO if you're securing an SSD, then two parallel screws shouldn't be a problem (in the Coolermaster Elite 342 case the bracket is a snug fit into any of the available 3.5" bays, plus two screws and it isn't going anywhere), as an SSD doesn't have the same vulnerabilities as a HDD wrt shock / vibration.