Format: Audio CD|Change

on 21 October 2013
A great return to form for my favourite band. Their last release "Crash Love" was something of a misstep in my opinion, taking on this new fashionista radio rock sound with elements from Davey and Jades side project Blaqk Audio. This latest release casts that aside for this deliciously dark and brooding new wave/ melodic punk sound that fits very comfortably with AFI. Davey's "shouts" make a return on a few tracks, the lyrics are bitter and resentful, the music is loud and in your face. Probably their strongest release track for track since Sing the Sorrow.

Nice work lads. More of this please!
on 26 July 2014
As an AFI fan. Of course I would buy their new record. This is a very varied record but the main overlying theme is that of a depressing one. I didn;t really get the "zing" that I did with Crashlove. You can sense that Davey and the guys went through some serious stuff because it definitely reflects in the music.
on 9 December 2013
A band for whom change was woven into their very fabric. From almost hardcore beginnings into pop punk then gothic punk all the way to the electro pop punk of `Sing the Sorrow' and sadly for me this is where I stopped listening but to be honest I thought they had stopped playing. So when I found Burials at my local HMV I decided I had to give it a go all the while I was wondering just what style they were onto these days, because the way they were changing it wouldn't have surprised me to hear free form jazz when I played the cd. To be honest I was a bit shocked to find that they were only onto gothic rock, which was a perhaps too obvious move after `The Art of Drowning' and `Sing the Sorrow'.

None of that really matters because when all is said and done this is a really good album which blossoms in front of your eyes and reminds you just how good a band AFI are and you end up kicking yourself for letting them slip below your radar for so long.

If there are any problems with Burials it is that it feels a bit over polished, there is a distinct lack of rough edges, which perhaps lessens its emotional punch.

Check out `I Hope you Suffer', `Heart Stops' and `Greater than 84'
on 2 June 2014
So I'm going to review this because the other reviews are atrocious.

With burials AFI have produced an album which has a very similar tone to sing the sorrow while at the same time having a much more mature, polished, and in some respects electronic sound. This is both good and bad. We all know AFI can write songs, so there's no problem there. the sweeping melodies and rousing emotive choruses are plentiful.

So if this album has a flaw it's that, while they have played all the strong cards they were holding during the sing the sorrow era, this record lacks something they had then, something difficult to put ones finger on, energy, urgency, I can't quite figure it out. In order to produce a brooding, darker, more gothic and atmospheric sound, some of the tracks do lack the urgency that was so ceaselessly self-reinforcing throughout that aforementioned record. Burials also has flawless and slinky production values which take the edge off somewhat. On top of this, the record is scattered with noticeably light sounding tracks. It is perhaps these that detract from the whole.

But in many ways those production values and electronic additions have added to the sound, and were probably recquiresd in order for the band to move forward. They aspire to a big sound, and these additions are what it takes to get it. (think Frank Delgado from the Deftones). One certainty is that this is a vast improvement on the mostly forgettable post-offspring college rock of Crash Love. A while the tone of Burials is similar to STS, I would argue the songwriting and production bring it closer to decemberunderground, it has the same pop sensibility in terms of song structure and dynamic. But pleasingly, it is a darker record.

So, all the darkly epic AFI stuff is here, it sounds lush and big, and in general holds together pretty well. It doesn't batter the door down the way STS did, but it presses almost all of the right buttons. It gets four stars, but its a stong four stars, because no-one does this stuff as well as they do.
on 16 October 2015
a darker sidestep in terms of sound, certainly commercial in terms of catchiness but this for me is a fine album, flicking between dark and light and succeeding for sure. I am more than impressed.
on 5 May 2014
The more I listen to this album the more songs I love! The digital booklet is OK, it could have been laid out better but overall it's good. Fantastic album, fantastic band :)
on 27 December 2013
Ok so if you like AFI you will like this, although there is a bit of a repetitiveness about the tracks and so far not one has stood out to me.
on 4 April 2016
Darker sound than previous albums. Arrived quickly and happy with cd
on 25 October 2013
Just bought the new album and after listening it for a few times it is growing on me. The first couple of songs and the last one are slow numbers but the rest are more upbeat. Love 17 crimes.
on 17 November 2013
A great comeback.I miss the agressivity of decemberunderground,Sing the sorrow,the art of DROWING..... but songs like I HOPE YOU SUFFER,GREATER THAN 84,THE CONDUCTOR.....save this situation.