Customer reviews

A Necessary Fiction
Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£3.49

on 16 October 2013
The great strength of A Necessary Fiction is it characters. We meet the central character Laura just as she loses her father and soon learn that she has a very bad relationship with her mother. She has been kept in ignorance about her father's true history and has lived a life dominated by her parents. She stumbles into independence during the early chapters of the book and the reader is drawn in, wanting to know how she will use her new-found freedom. The answer which Jane Emerssen delivers is satisfyingly complex. This is not a book of easy answers. The discoveries Laura makes about her family are disturbing and the decisions she takes about her own life are probably not always ones the reader will approve, but the great thing is the way the author makes us believe in those decisions. She creates a very believable world that I found myself wanting to return to more and more as the story progressed.

The other characters that inhabit that world are all well drawn. Laura's mother is wonderful: part of that long tradition of believably awful fictional women - think Austen's Mrs Norris, or Dickens' Miss Murdstone - who can turn simple domestic situations into sheer misery. Then there are the aunts who turn out not to be quite what they seem, and the men between whom Laura must choose. They all make for an entertaining - but slightly disturbing - read.
5 people found this helpful
on 18 October 2013
An absorbing book. I found it a good `read` with believable characters (including a dreadful mother) and a story which gripped from the first page to the last. It is more than a family story, with a mystery about the deceased father`s past which is slowly revealed as the story progresses and a final surprise in the last chapter.

I can tell I`m enjoying a book when I find myself slowing down over the last few chapters because I don`t want the book to end. That is precisely what happened with `A Necessary Fiction.` Housework was neglected as I became immersed in the story.

I recommend this book to anyone who enjoys an engrossing story.
3 people found this helpful
on 24 February 2016
oh I was so looking forward to this, a nice big book with a family history theme but what a disappointment, the great mystery was a damp squib, the characters were quite frankly boring, even the author seemed to get bored with them and threw in a bit of outdoor sex to liven things up a bit now and again, I persevered only because I very rarely do not finish a book but couldn't wait until it was over, now I have I am torn between slinging it in the bin or putting it with my office charity book collection, I will do the latter because I have never thrown a book away and hopefully someone else will enjoy it because sadly I did not
on 18 May 2015
A lovely story with interesting characters. Well written, but this book has a HUGE amount of typing errors in it! This spoilt my enjoyment, as the problem continued all the way through the story. Therefore I can only give it 3 stars. I am looking forward to reading Jane Emerssen's next book, which I hope will be proof-read to a higher standard before publication.
on 24 September 2014
Beautiful story, well told. Appealed to me as I'm researching family history, this is the type of story that birth,marriages & death certificates can't tell us, the human story behind the facts.
on 31 March 2015
Excellent read. Could not put it down until end.
on 29 January 2014
A vry good book .I will read it again after a few months and I know that I will enjoy it all over again.