on 27 September 2013
Like everyone who has bought/will buy this latest instalment from Veronica Roth, I am a big fan of the Divergent series. It is my ultimate favourite dystopian story - held in much higher regards than the brilliant creation that is The Hunger Games trilogy or Stephen King's little beauty, The Running Man - so, with the mysterious four being my favourite character in my favourite book of all time, this item was a must have for me. I paid the £1.99, which i must say is a little steep for only 30 pages of story, and ran myself a bath, determined to make a night of it, but a little over 45mins later I have to admit that Veronica Roth had left me feeling slightly disappointed and, if I'm honest, a bit ripped off. Don't get me wrong, Veronica Roth's writing is faultless as usual and her wording and descriptions drag you right in to the fictional world she created just like they always do, but this little instalment offers nothing to the reader - it is nothing more than Four, who sounds too much like Tris to me to really be a different character all together, telling the story of how he made the choice to leave Abnegation and join the Dauntless. I love Divergent and I love Four too, but I already knew he chose to leave Abnegation for Dauntless because his father abused him as that was made quite clear during the first two instalments of the Divergent trilogy and I can't help but feel that he has been slightly ruined for me by this. Think about it girls, the slight mystery and intrigue surrounding Four and his past life are what makes Four stand out to us, and if the next three instalments of his story take all that away so we know why he does all the things he does, will he still be the Four we have spent two whole books trying to figure out? No, I don't think he will, so I am giving them a miss for now, but I have no doubt I will be buying them, for less than £1.99 I hope, when I have devoured Allegiant.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 27 July 2015
The Transfer is the first novella in a set of five similar novellas related to the Divergent trilogy. The Transfer tells the story of how Four, one of the main characters from the trilogy, transfers from Abnegation to Dauntless.

I think it's important to point out that, although this could be read as a prequel to Divergent to give you a taster of the Divergent world, it would definitely be more enjoyable to those readers already familiar with the characters and the world Roth has built for us. Additionally, as far as I can tell, it doesn't seem to matter which order you read any of the short stories as they don't seem to link up but rather are small extracts relevant to a character's own story or chapters of Divergent from another point of view.

I really enjoyed this. It is very short, but it's exciting to get an insight through Four's eyes into his relationship with his father, his Aptitude test and his change of factions. What I liked the most though, and I think all fans of these novels will love this too, were the little links made between Tris and her family and Four growing up - for example, seeing Tris in the street. I know it seems so small but it's all cleverly woven through and I enjoyed spotting the links throughout. If you liked Divergent, you'll definitely like this.
on 10 February 2014
I am a huge fan of the Divergent series, although I have yet to read the third book, Allegiant, even with all the uproar it has created. Nevertheless, I was curious about Four/Tobias, so decided to download this short story to find out about him and his backstory.

I started to read and was intrigued with Tobias's point of view. However, I found this story slightly disappointing; most of this information had already been explained in Divergent. Nevertheless, I got to see sixteen year old Tobias's thoughts and feelings first hand. He is a wonderful character, full of his own insecurities and doubts, but he makes the bravest decision one can make: to change his life and escape his father's abuse. I admired him for his courage. I am glad that I read this story though, as I fell in love with Four/Tobias in Divergent, and this book made me love him more - scars and all! Characters without flaws are two dimensional and uninteresting, in my opinion. No one is perfect in real life, so why should characters be in books?

Veronica Roth is one of my favourite authors. I love her writing style, which flows beautifully. I will definitely be reading more of her books in the future.

I recommend this book if you love the Divergent series or Dystopian fiction. - Lynn Worton
on 12 January 2017
How Tobias Eaton became Four and his transition from Abnegation to Dauntless, Tobias's beginnings from home to choosing Dauntless as his new faction
on 4 August 2016
More from the Divergent series and so good to hear how things started out for Tobias. Really good to get more background and find out what he's like inside
on 22 May 2014
I have just read the Divergent book and did not want to start the 2nd book yet so got this as a filler. It follows in the same vein as the Divergent story and gives you the background to Four's story. Can't wait to get the other short stories in this series. Going to wait for the compilation book of them.
on 13 April 2016
Its word for word a section from another of her books. I wasn't impressed at paying £2 to read the same thing
on 17 May 2014
Having bought the trilogy of books and loved them, I was eager to read this and it was a joy to hear and feel how other characters delt with events. I'm looking forward to the next story from different view points.
on 24 June 2014
I really enjoyed this, it gave us more of insight of how Tobais works and the inner workings of his head. We only got to see a small part in Allegiant, so these are really good to read. I really hate Markus.
on 24 June 2014
Tobias Eaton, son of the Abnegation Leader Marcus Eaton is escaping...
This story is brilliant, as a reader of the original Divergent Trilogy, getting to know Tobias two years before Tris Prior is to transfer to Dauntless is fascinating. It also explains a lot about Tobias that as a reader, it had only been hinted at.