TOP 500 REVIEWERon 27 July 2015
Free Four is one in a set of five short (and in this case phenomenally short) novellas associated with the Divergent trilogy. It's important to know that this particular novella is actually a chapter from Divergent but rewritten from Four's perspective instead from Tris, so I would recommend you definitely read Divergent before you give this a whirl.in relation to the remaining four novellas though, it doesn't appear to matter which order you read them in as they all stand alone.

So it has to be recognised that Veronica Roth writes really well, and this is no exception. I won't lie, I did wonder if I'd like Four's voice as a narrator as much as I did Tris, but I did - perhaps more so! Four tells us his point of view during a poignant scene from Divergent - the knife throwing scene. Of all the chapters she could have chosen, I am so glad she picked this one. I remember reading this chapter in Divergent, thinking 'Why is Four doing this?', and now I know!

Fans of Divergent will enjoy this little extract, but just keep in mind that it is short; even for a novella. Many readers have commented on it's length so just to give you an idea of quite how short it is; my kindle said 27 percent read when the extract finished and the remaining 73 percent was the first chapter of Divergent (which is especially stupid given you'd have to have read Divergent to really understand what's going on in this novella!). A really good, interesting read nevertheless. It's also pretty funny!
VINE VOICEon 21 May 2017
Veronica Roth admits that she was asked by her publisher to rewrite a scene from Divergent (Divergent, Book 1) from another character's point of view, as a marketing ploy. So I was curious, but didn't have particularly high hopes for this. I was pleasantly surprised.

This short story manages to give new depth and insight into Four's character. He comes across as a less passive character than he does from the first book.

But be warned: the actual story is only 6 pages long - the rest is made up of excerpts from other books.
|0Comment|Report abuse
More preview and review than new material. I am glad this was for free or I would probably take another star off. I am a fan of Veronica Roth's writing, and I appreciate her admitting that she releases this story was to plug her second book Insurgent. There is not really anything new in this book, and the worst part is 4 comes across as a love struck teenager, hiding from Eric. Also the explaination of his actions is already given in the Divergent book, I am sure she could hav chosen another passage to be written from is perceptive. The next 75% of this download is a chapters from Divergent, and Insurgent.
2 people found this helpful
on 3 March 2015
I waited to read this after the series, and I'm glad I did because of how it all ended.

Reading Four's POV of the knife throwing scene was fun, but it makes me want more. I'd love to read his POV over most of the first book.

I know there are other books out there from his POV, and I can't wait to get them in my hands and read them. I think they'll truly round off the series for me.

The fact that Roth can write a 13 page scene already writte, just from another POV proves how well she knows her characters.

I am so cross with myself for waiting to read these books, but I'm also glad I read them after the major hype had died down.
on 2 March 2016
Even though it is a very short read I felt like I gained a insight into Four's perspective during the knife throwing scene. It was interesting to read the scene from another point of view after reading it from Tris' point of view in Divergent.
However I have given it four stars as it is misleading as the free four story itself is very short and then the rest of the pages revert back to Divergent chapters - I personally do not think there is any need for this.
on 21 October 2016
I really wish I had enjoyed this one more. I wanted to enjoy this one more.

Unfortunately I find it really hard to enjoy tales such as these. When scenes are told from another character’s perspective I want them to add a lot more to the character, to help me understand them better. However, such was not the case with this one.

It was an okay read, it just didn’t add as much as I would have liked.
on 1 February 2014
I've just finished Veronica Roth's 'Divergent' and thought it might be nice to read about the knife-throwing scene from Four's perspective. I thought that as it's 270 odd pages, the author must have gone into it in a lot more depth.

Nope.

The part about the knife-throwing scene is only about 17 pages long. The rest of this 'book' is the first few chapters of Divergent. Even to call this a 'marketing ploy' to get people into the series makes no sense to me- if you haven't read Divergent, then why would you want to read one scene out of context from a book you hadn't read? Only those who have read the book Divergent would be interested in the scene from Four's perspective, so why then give them the first few chapters of Divergent again? To pad it out..

I know it's only 49p now, but even so, I can get a whole (decent) book for free. Really poor show- this is the kind of thing that should be given for free to loyal fans of the series to let them know how much they're valued. Instead it turns them away leaving them feeling a bit ripped-off.
on 2 September 2014
Interesting - and, one wonders, did this short story, written at the time of book 2, impact on the style of book 3?
But, as a download, I'd've been a bit peeved had I paid for this - the story accounts for less than a third of the content, with chapters of the second book included to pad things out.
But, a pivotal moment in book 1 seen from the point of view of Tobias - interesting, but not essential.
on 15 August 2014
I love the Divergent Series and to have the opportunity to see things from Fours side is fantastic. I wish more authoris would acknowledge that whilst a story is really good there are things about the other characters that readers would really love to know more about. Four is a fascinating character and his stories have been just as enjoyable as the originals (even though you already know the outcomes)
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 24 May 2014
This was free so it was downloaded out of curiosity. It's an interesting addition to the range if you have enjoyed the original novel but hardly necessary. It could easily have been incorporated into the original story had the author not chosen to write in the first person singular - I suspect many of these 'shorts' would have been better used in the novels if a good editor had been involved in the series.