on 24 April 2017
I'm about 75% of the way through the book but I cannot rate it too highly enough. I've always been a great fan of King Alfred (the Great) and it is thanks to him that we have the England we have today. The book shows with many clearly written examples how we have progressed from those early days 1150 years ago to where we are now, not only in England but in the rest of the Anglosphere.
Congratulations Daniel.
on 24 October 2016
I enjoyed how Hannah unashamedly puts the exceptionalism case forward but there are points that I felt were tenuous and questions I would have liked to have put to him. Overall a jolly good read though and a decent overview of history. Nice to see a politician who is a thinking man and unafraid to make his beliefs clear.
on 13 April 2017
This book brings together many of my personal beliefs, that I thought were disjointed and prejudiced, and added much more to create a coheremt political philosophy. Daniel Hannan has shown that our innate distrust of excessive power, love of free speech, intolerance of beaurocracy and freedom to trade and innovate can be satisfied and exploited by devolving power from EU and the UK central government.

This book is an important clarion call for change.
One person found this helpful
on 14 March 2017
Outstanding. I found it enlightening and fascinating in equal measure. It explains why, although we are part of Europe we have a fundamentally different outlook to Europeans and why Americans are fiercely independent. Read it and you'll understand why the world is where it is right now.
3 people found this helpful
on 29 January 2017
Daniel Hannan puts forward a thesis based upon the commonality of freedoms enjoyed by countries in the "Anglosphere". It is about the kind of freedoms which most people in the English-speaking world take for granted, and Hannan traces the development of those freedoms from Anglo-Saxon times to the present day. His writing shows how important the study of history is to the understanding of the democratic freedoms we enjoy to-day. The title sounds boring, but this book is one of the most important I have read. It is also very relevant to to-day's "Brexi"t debate.
on 20 September 2017
Well written, clear ideas and an author who seems both well read and informed and not dogmatic in his opinions. I found it informative and a good read.
on 26 April 2017
Anyone interested in freedom and the importance of elevating the individual above the state will find this compelling tome indispensible.
on 20 November 2016
well worth a read.. not for the man whom wrote it.. but for the way its put together... very good works.. wtg DH Lots of follow ups.. ifn ya inclind....
on 27 April 2017
Daniel Hannan tells us we should remember who we are and know our history. Absolutely right!
on 19 June 2017
An inspiring history of the atmosphere and defence of freedom.

This book should be read by all citizens who wish for a happy and prosperous future for all.
One person found this helpful