on 30 January 2013
As a lifelong non-cook who never felt confident cooking, I saw Richard demonstrating at a show. Impressed with his casual but interesting approach to cooking, where pretty much anything goes, I bought his book. It's been great. You are encouraged to try things and make stuff up yourself with whatever happens to be in the house. Nothing is "wrong" there is nothing to measure yourself against and therefore there is no feeling of failure. It's just encouraging. Worth the purchase price for Richard's flat bread recipe alone, I've made loads.
on 7 December 2012
I like this book, but having said that I think it is intended more for less experience home keepers than myself.
I have been living thriftily for most of my married life and now in retirement.
It is a very useful book that tells what can be done to save food waste and usually the recipes are tastier than super market ready meals for a fraction of the cost.
I would recommend it to anybody struggling to make ends meet but who still likes their food.
on 7 March 2015
I bought this after seeing the chef on tv showing ideas for food that you might think is past its best. I love the concept in terms of economy and reducing waste and the dishes were fresh and imaginative. Anyway when I got it I showed it to friend and they really liked it so I passed it on and intend to get another copy from myself.
on 20 April 2014
Even if you are into being frugal-icious and not wasting a scrap, there's a good range of novel ways to make leftovers into a delicious snack or meal.
I liked the conversational style, straightforward advice about how long to keep things and how best to store them, and the creative meal making ideas. It really is a good way of seeing the potential in turning a spoonful or two of leftovers into the main event for the next meal. Save money while reducing waste, what's not to like?
on 15 February 2013
Bought after seeing Richard Fox at an event and used straight out of the box. Keeps a focus on value and avoiding waste whilst still making exciting things. Looking forward to cooking more from the book
on 29 November 2015
Great ideas for leftover foods
on 26 May 2013
My daughter and I loved this book. Both keen cooks and determined to be economical with good ingredients and no watstage.
on 1 June 2014
Excellent book for the nervous cook. Common sense advice on safe food storage, how to make it keep longer and how to use up what is safe to use.
on 14 August 2013
This book is a gem. Although I'm already a savvy food shopper and cook, I've learnt a lot from this book.
I saw Richard recently at an exhibition and was so impressed that I've now bought both of his books. Well worth buying!
on 28 April 2013
I found the recipes very easy to follow and the list of ingredients are not too long, most of them to be found in the kitchen cupboard. I would recommend this book to my friends.
The only down side of the book is that some of the pages have come loose from the spine.