on 16 July 2008
This is an extremely useful and well-researched practical guide. Would recommend it to anyone thinking of doing any lime plastering/rendering - and this from a plasterer with 20 years' experience! Paul Fitzpatrick
on 6 June 2008
I found this book very useful in that it explains the processes involved and in great detail helping you understand what is happening on your wall. The illustrated techniques are also useful although don't replace good quality training. Some tools and techniques photos are not great. The range of plasters and renders covered is excellent and gives you lots of ideas. Overall, a great reference book that will help you one your way even if only to understand the language, tools and techniques enough to employ a contractor doing this type of work.
on 15 February 2013
I'm an amateur, and while keen and capable, I wasn't ready to tackle plastering, particularly not lime plastering, as all the books pretty much direct you to find an experienced plasterer who has worked with lime and has a decent reputation. I tried this, getting references from people and eventually selected one, they told me they had lime plastering experience and would relish the chance to work on the interesting challenges that my property presented.

To say the bare minimum, I was disappointed; Unready to take on, or wait for, another plasterer to come and price or start the job, I decided to just have a go myself. Now, I've read a bunch of other books on restoring buildings and so on, they are all interesting, and to some degree offer up the knowledge of what will or should happen during the plastering process, but they never really gave me enough detail...

Not so _this_ book, it answered all the questions I had, explained the processes involved in the various materials through the various stages, gave advice on what material suited which job, outlined the tools and work patterns for each material and included hints and tips from professionals in the business.

I'm reasonably capable, and using this book to fill in the blanks and offer advice on tools, I have ended up with an amazing finish, in fact better than the original professional plasterers, who were skilled with pink plaster, but failed dismally with the lime plaster. There's definitely more to know and more care involved in applying and caring for the lime during the early stages in order that it doesn't fail, this book had it all.

There's even a whole second half of this book that I currently can't use as I am not using earth-based materials, but it looks just as good. If you want to understand the natural finishes in your building, this is invaluable, if you are considering having a go yourself, even better.
on 11 June 2014
Being a plasterer for many years i was brought up removing old (lime) plaster, taking down lathed ceilings and replacing them with gypsum because that was the correct thing to do right... Absolutely NOT.

One of the biggest causes of damp is actually humans, no not because we breathe or make lots of airborne moisture, its what we put on the walls, the floors and the ceilings. We go to our favourite DIY store and slap that nice paint on the wall, what do we have? A room that is tightly sealed and a house that cannot breathe.

It takes quite a while to "get it" that you need to allow a house to breathe and that most of the components you are using simply don't allow this to happen. I have been programmed throughout the years that the best way to illiminate damp for instance is by slapping lots of sand and cement mortar on to chemically injected walls. If I had known what I know now I would never have done these things... and I have done many in my time.

Read the book understand what materials you need to use to that will illiminate the mould, the damp, the chemical injection etc.

Buy the book its good!
on 21 August 2013
I didn't realise my husband had ordered this on my account (tsk, tsk) but have to say it must be rather brilliant as I've had all sorts of new finishes thrown at the house since it arrived.
on 10 November 2013
A good companion volume to the RIBA Old House Handbook. Plenty of step by step instructions and loads of recipes to follow to achieve good results with natural materials.
on 16 January 2014
Full of information its a great buy. Learned a lot from it so far well presented, easy instructions and real must for anyone interested in lime and clay based plasters.
on 19 January 2014
Very informative and inspirational. It covered every area of natural building method that I was interested in finding out about - essential reading and part of library
on 30 June 2014
A very useful introduction to the relevance, composition and use of a range of natural materials, and a useful addition to my technical library.
on 8 January 2013
i got this for my husband as he is a plasterer and his customers are all really impressed with this product