on 9 June 2005
When I bought this book, I wondered how I was going to finish it...But once I started, it caught my interest, and I read it from cover to cover. It talks about the history of our hair starting from Afrika, then moving on to the US, and how products were made to remove our kinks, and the thinking behind that...This book made me be even more resolved to keep my hair as God intended it to be...napptural...For anyone wondering about keeping their hair natural, I recommend this book...And for those who want to know the history of our hair, this is the book to buy...
on 28 December 2009
From the moment I picked up this book my attention was held and I found myself reading it at every opportunity I got. As well as giving a history of black hair, it also deals with how the various adverts for straight hair insidiously brainwashed black people over the years. Although raised in Britain, I was able to identify with all those people who regularly 'fried' and then went on to chemically damage their hair in the pursuit of a eurocentric ideal of beauty. It was sad to read how many black people had and still do buy into the 'good hair equals straight hair' school of thought. I decided to go natural some years ago and this book just reinforced my resolve to continue to prove by example that natural black hair is beautiful. A good read!
on 4 May 2010
I bought this book shortly after going natural as I wanted to learn more about the history of black hair. I'd read a few articles about the controversy surrounding afro-textured hair in America, but never fully understood it until I read this book. It changed the way I saw my own hair as well as some of the common attitudes towards natural hair in the black community (including in the UK). Some may argue its just hair but from a historical perspective, it definitely goes much deeper than that.
on 1 September 2013
So I bought this book over a year ago whilst I was doing my university dissertation but never really got round to sitting down and reading it in full. Now a year later, I'm sat here researching into black hair for a friend who is about to start her 'BIG CHOP/Natural Journey' So what better book to start with than this one.

Its full and rich with black hair history, from the shores of west Africa, to America, the book details the struggles and journey black hair and black people have gone through in its search for emancipation and to control the meaning of our hair.
The book equally brings to light what was new information for me on some of the founders of the black hair care industry with Madam Cj Walker and others and how their contributions to the community was more than just hair related. The book argues topics of eurocentric perceptions of beauty within the media and contrasts them against the opinions of black people in a a new age which opens you up to develop self opinion around what black people really think about their own hair.

The book is well written and highly informative, although at times it does feel like a drag, it does highlight and argue black hair politics from a socio/political/economical standpoint which opens up your thought process, helps you better your understanding around black hair.
on 14 April 2014
best book i have ever read , well written and very interested, will be very interested in a follow up
on 16 January 2015
Sooooooo independent, I learnt a lot more than I expected who knew there was more to our hair that meats the eye we take it for granted. We should be proud of our hair if your not already, and make managing it work and most importantly Love it and own it after all its ours.
on 17 July 2015
The book is really good as a start into gaining knowledge and understanding in african American hair and culture
on 7 July 2014
A little heavy going but an informative read all the same
on 10 June 2015
Great read informed my dissertation on Afro hair.