on 4 May 2014
In the distant past I have read some of the basic technical books 'for Dummies' and not found them particularly helpful. I also found the 'American feeble jokey' style in which they were written very irritating. So when I had to choose which book to download onto my Kindle in order to come to terms with my new Windows 8.1 computer, I almost rejected this option without further consideration. However, some good reviews persuaded me to use the 'Look inside' feature and it seemed to be written in a much more acceptable form, so I bought it and it is really a great help. Without it I would have been completely bemused by 8.1 after being a Window XP user at a fairly basic level.
I have certainly not fully mastered 8.1(which seems much less intuitive than XP) yet or even finished the book, but feel I can safely recommend it to other 'Seniors'. If I had one criticism, it relates to the order in which some of the advice is given. Having transferred all the data from my old computer onto the new one, I didn't know where to find my files and this doesn't seem to be dealt with until the penultimate chapter. However, clicking on the chapter list at the beginning of the book does take you straight to the page selected, which is helpful.
Whether it is any better or worse than the other options on the Amazon list, I don't know but, overall, but I think most low-tech users like me will find it very useful.
27 people found this helpful
on 10 March 2014
Delivered in good time. Indispensable if you're new to Windows 8.1. Many things explained in plain language that you would struggle to find out about elsewhere. Saved us a lot of time in getting the new laptop fully functional for what we want. I think younger than seniors would find it useful too.
13 people found this helpful
on 12 November 2014
Not too impressed as my husband hasn't been able to find out anything new that he needed to know after upgrading to 8.1. Probably should have bought the original version instead of "For Seniors". For us, this book really earns the title "For Dummies" rather than "For Seniors". He's found out all he needs to know now by searching help topics online. This book will probably just gather dust on the bookshelf. To be fair, if you are new to computing, I'm sure the book will be very useful, just bear in mind, if you are already fairly computer literate, I wouldn't bother with this version.
2 people found this helpful
on 30 July 2014
Coping with Windows 8.1 for the first time can be a very testing time. The book deals reasonably well with the basics, but it does cover ground which if the reader has experience with Windows 7 etc., gives a feeling of duplication.
I wish the book devoted more space to computer back ups and file saving, which would be invaluable to counteract inevitable errors made during the learning process.
Windows 8.1 isn't universally accepted as 'user friendly', this book goes part way to improving the friendship.
5 people found this helpful
on 11 November 2014
I have just bought a new computer with 8.1 after many years using XP. Was very hesitant about the change but, this book has helped in lots of ways. Easy to read instructions and diagrams. Easy to understand with not too much 'jargon'.
8 people found this helpful
on 5 May 2015
not bad, but not entirely accurate in the 'for dummies' part of the title. Does not explain everything in words of one syllable, and gives explanations for doing things, which are not the basics needed to master the system.
on 21 March 2015
Just wait the older age group needs! It's really easy to follow with pictures all the way through showing you what you should be looking at and not in mumbo jumbo in clear understood instructions.
on 24 July 2017
on 6 September 2014
well written in place's but lots of the book is about e/mails, accounts and storage and not enough about every day tasks like getting round windows and installing programs ... regards Paul
on 17 December 2014
I purchased this for my friend who is 81 years of age and has never had a computer before. She found it very helpful and I think she is doing marvellous.
4 people found this helpful