Customer reviews

A Song Across Wires
Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£7.99

on 5 September 2013
Word of warning, the MP3 download tracks are all shortened edit versions that only run for 3-4 minutes each.
The full extended MP3 tracks are an exclusive to Beatport.

Luckily for me, I paid the extra £2.50 to have the physical CD as well as the MP3 versions.
The physical CD contains the full length unedited tracks (8 minutes plus) so this is the option to go for.

All in all, another excellent bt album full of uplifting tunes. Not overly keen on the dubstep tracks but as they've got bt's signature glitch touch, I quite enjoyed them.
on 2 September 2013
Having pre-ordered this a month in advance, I listened to ASAW first using the Amazon player before the CD arrived. The single non-mixed versions are too short and sound more like jingles, compared to the CD full length mixes which are much better in my opinion.

This long awaited album offers songs that uses complex and clever layering of BT's trademark mixing techniques and samples, fusing micro-rhythms together in such a melodic and clever way. There are many catchy tunes on this album, and no doubt will have you playing it daily. The one that's sticking on my mind is the track with Korean vocals by Bada - now to get the translations from somewhere.

Buy it if you like to feel uplifted by upbeat music or like electronic music in general.
on 3 June 2015
Excellent
on 30 December 2013
Have been a BT since the very start, and this album has it all, chilled tunes, trance and dubstep.
I have already listened to it more than any album of 2013, which takes some doing in the short period of time that i have owned it.

Hoping he doesn't quit any time soon
on 16 August 2013
Having just had my first listen through A Song Across Wires, I am filled and uplifted with a feeling of auditory euphoria that has become a familiar companion to me as a long-time fan of BT's work. It's a beautiful album full of driving beats and danceable tunes, but bringing in a greater sense of the complexity and refinement that BT's recent down-tempo albums such as 'This Binary Universe' and 'If the Stars are Eternal So Are You and I' have explored. The composition is mind-boggling and original, intelligent and unique, and best reviewed by people with a greater sense of what they're talking about musically than I, but it all comes together to form something that feels pure and simple. After one listen, this album is immediately fighting for the position of 'my favourite BT album ever,' and believe me, his previous works set an incredibly high bar.
on 15 September 2013
I'm at a loss as to these great 5 star reviews I'm seeing. Has anyone here actually listened to BT's early work? IMA and ESCM are true, genre-defining classics that have stood the test of time. To compare this over-produced, samey, cheese-laden drivel to those albums is simply laughable.

Since the turn of the century, BT's work has largely been a pale shadow. "This Binary Universe" and the recent "If the Stars Are Eternal, So Are You and I" are really wonderful projects that I urge every fan of IMA and ESCM to buy. They are on a completely different level to "A Song Across Wires". Whilst they are delicate sonic journeys that whisk you away to another world, this is more "bash you around the head with a load of awful dub-step, soaring trance and vocal cheese". And I don't hate dubstep, there's some great dubstep out there - none of it is on this album.

It's painful to listen to at times. There's slick production (which is nothing to be lauded these days - it's the minimum you expect) and there's over-doing it for the sake of it i.e. showing off. Just a decent tune would be enough for my ears, none of these ear-bleeding sound clashes, over-complicated glitches and horrible, commercial sounding synths. Yes, BT has been headed down this path for a while now, with "Emotional Technology" and "These Hopeful Machines" and this is along those lines. But I am one of the many original fans who bought IMA way back in the 90s and was inspired by what he produced there. If you seriously think that this is on a par with those days, well, I am just speechless.

Reading this back, I sound like a miserable old grump! But as I say, I loved "If the Stars Are Eternal, So Are You and I", which has everything; subtlety, beauty, beats, melody and real depth to it. This effort has none of that. It's dull, it has zero soul and it feels like a complete sell-out from one of the great electronic producers. I think BT must realise his fans are polarised now and is releasing a mix of styles to suit both camps, which is something at least. I'm firmly in the other camp though - this is rubbish.
22 Comments| 12 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
VINE VOICEon 19 September 2013
BT doing most excellent impressions of the new kids on the block. Is he Skrillex? Is he Nero? Is he Chicane?

Who cares, this is just superb and easily the best mix I've heard in a while. Will be playing this for months to come! but of course, this amazing stuff will be missed by the masses in favour of airplay stuff. Soooo sad!