Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Learn more Shop now Learn more Fire Kids Edition Shop Kindle Shop now Pre-order now Shop Men's Shop Women's

on 19 July 2014
I run a business where leadership, public speaking and frequent sales presentations are common. I have an analytical mind with a preference for clear, scientically supported information. As I turned the pages I was surprised by the sheer volume of useful, applicable and practical advice contained within this modest book. I would recommend to anyone.
John Neffinger and Matthew Kohut are convinced that certain people possess both strength and warmth and this combination helps to explain why they are so highly admired and why they have so much influence. Others are attracted to them because they have the ability and determination to get things done but also because they are loving, caring, and empathic. "For our purposes, warmth is what people feel when they recognize they share interests and concerns. It is a sense of being on the same team. If strength is about whether someone can carry out their intentions, warmth is about whether you will be happy with the result. When people project warmth, we like them." We care about them because they care about us.

Readers will appreciate Neffinger and Kohut's use of primary and secondary sources that broaden and deepen the context, the frame-of-reference, for they key ideas. For example, research by psychologists Martin Seligman and Christopher Peterson on how different cultural traditions around the world define character. They found that there are six moral virtues at the core of all of them, six forms of strength and the others of warmth: courage, temperance, wisdom, justice, humanity, and transcendence. (Page 23) Annotated "Notes" are provided on Pages 257-275. These are among the dozens of passages of special interest and value to me, also listed to indicate the scope of Neffinger and Kohut's coverage.

o Strength vs. Warmth (Pages 10-18)
o Strength + Warmth (18-23)
o Quick and Dirty Judgment (27-28)
o Ethnicity (43-52)
o Body Type, and, Sexual Orientation and Identity (66-70)
o Nonverbal Communication (76-111)
o Mirroring, and, Style (120-135)
o Strength + Warmth, Word by Word (160-168)
o Making It Happen (168-181)
o Into the Wild (183-184)
o Leadership (206-209)
o Online (226-230)
o Unspoken Signals (236-238)

As I worked m y way through the book, I began to formulate my own list of the attributes common among all the compelling people I have known. Not the most intelligent, nor the most physically attractive, charming, or generous. Rather, those who have a certain [begin italics] presence [end italics] that can sometimes be initially intimidating but soon becomes endearing. Presumably many of those who read this book will have their own list. That said, strength and warmth (not one but both) only have meaning if (HUGE "if") they are (a) authentic and (b) demonstrated by consistent behavior over time.

When concluding their book, Neffinger and Kohut observe, "The question of how to use strength and warmth in your own life begins with your intentions. Who do you want to be? What are you trying to achieve? Does the strength and warmth expressed through deeds align with what you project in your everyday social interactions? Do you use your strength in the service of others? Do you use your warmth to minimize painful conflicts when you can? Only you can answer for yourself, and there is nothing simple or straightforward about it. It takes courage (strength) to be rigorously honest about your intentions (warmth)."

I responded immediately to the first question, then hesitated and reflected on what I had learned throughout the narrative while correlating key points with my own circumstances. I re-read the five questions and began to jot down words and phrases in response to each. My conclusion is that there is compelling need for me to improve in all areas of my life. That is my goal and I am grateful to John Neffinger and Matthew Kohut for providing the information, insights, and counsel that I will need to achieve that objective.
on 4 May 2016
This book is based around two key factors that determine our personal impact. The beauty of the book is the simplicity of the model (which is far from simplistic). It provides a simple way of integrating and remembering many different practical insights. Whilst most of the examples given are in the business context, it provides lessons for all areas of life. A very useful book indeed!
on 5 July 2016
Great book, informative and impressive research yet easy to digest.
VINE VOICEon 5 February 2015
Useful through its practicality and applicability, this book offers real-world suggestions based on a number of criteria as opposed to the usual one size fits all approach common in such books. Here the authors examine a human trait (gender, race, height, neutral facial expression etc) and offer advise for every combination.
on 1 April 2016
I am intrigued by this topic, well put together and goes into detail, if you enjoy the why's and hows of human behaviour then this is a great book!
on 7 August 2014
Interesting points. I would recommend this book for anyone looking to further their career or looking to supervise or manage a team.
on 4 October 2016
Really good read. This will help anyone who is looking to improve their body language and personal presence
on 1 August 2016
Have only glanced through it, but I like what I've seen so far.
on 31 October 2013
An absolutely brilliant book on the warmth/competency framework, the anatomy of first impressions and how people see us. Read it. It is a great read, very down to earth, very useful and applicable.