on 15 January 2015
These fan videos strung together make a compelling and often very moving narrative, not just about being a Bruce Springsteen fan, but what it means to have music central to your life and deep in your veins. The emotional connection Springsteen makes through his work and performances is rare - and that he makes such great music too makes that kind of fandom even more rare. There are some really "lump in the throat" moments - the middle aged couple dancing in the kitchen to Radio Nowhere, and the wife describing herself (straight out of a Nebraska song) as a "actress/waitress"; the truck driving girl chasing some mirage; the guy who keeps the grass cut at the stadium Bruce has just rocked; the Danish woman who says "he do not know me, but he is my friend". There are funny moments too, with the "Philly Elvis" who pulls his hamstring when finally realising a life's ambition to get on stage with Bruce, and the guy who wrote the "I've just been dumped" sign and is rewarded with a funny little Bruce speech and a big man hug. It's human, moving, and tremendously exciting - just like the man himself. And, some very lucky people get to actually meet him at the end, including the guy who doesn't actually like him but goes to all his concerts because his wife does (Bruce says, "oh, here's the guy who doesn't like the show"). Not just for fans, but for anyone who has ever loved anything from a distance - and that's everyone, surely?
I don't imagine for a second that anyone except a die hard Springsteen fan would buy this, so I imagine that it will have mostly great reviews! I really enjoyed it. It was humorous at times and sometimes moving. We had videos and comments mainly from American fans (as expected) but also from fans all over the world. It made me feel, that as a Springsteen fan, I was part of a huge, world-wide community. I was also quite surprised by how many of the fans were young, which is great. Its nice to know that there is a whole new generation of fans out there. There was also footage from various concerts, some recent, some long ago, which were great and which were new to me. This really was a film made by fans, for fans. It had an innocence to it which was quite charming. Altogether I really enjoyed it and I recommend it to all Springsteen fans.
on 14 January 2014
My husband is a huge Springsteen fan, so I pre-ordered this for him for Christmas. We have listened to it several times now and we love it. Another reason to love Springsteen! He is always awesome.
on 10 November 2014
Wonderful, Amazing, Powerful !!! - made me cry -----lots of times - (3 lots of 3 words - watch the DVD you will understand!). I just love Bruce Springsteen
on 31 July 2017
Incredible! A must see!
on 22 August 2013
I too saw this movie at the cinema. I was moved to tears by the fans love and loyalty to Bruce. I was so proud to be a Springsteen fan and to realise that many other people feel the way I do about him I can't wait to see it again and show my children I'm not the only nutter in the world. Maybe they will understand why I'm a Fan.
on 23 February 2014
I bought this for my hubby's Valentines. we watched it last night. It was dreadful, full of obsessed fans speaking utter rubbish. Don't get me wrong there were some bits that were good, and good musical clips, however I couldn't believe how sad some of the fans were. We both fell asleep so didn't get to the end of this.
on 26 January 2014
If you're a Springsteen follower, you'll see a part of yourself in just about all of the interviews here.
Springsteen concerts are not just rock gigs, but a gathering of the faithful. (And you'll have probably seen the DVD by now anyhow.)
If this makes no sense to you, it'll just take too long to explain.
on 14 August 2013
I saw Springsteen & I in the theater and walked away smiling. The documentary highlights fans from all walks of life telling their Springsteen story and how his music affected them. I sat in the theater and laughed and sang along with the other fans and at the end, clapped with them too. There are heartwarming stories, concert scenes, interviews and a few surprises I won't divulge here. It's a must-see for the Springsteen fan.
on 12 January 2014
This was a Christmas present for my Dad and he absolutely loved it! Would highly recommend to anyone who likes his music.