Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£5.99

on 26 August 2013
It's odd how much the Studio Zoo process took over my life for five weeks earlier this summer.

It's even odder that nearly five weeks after the cameras turned off, Studio Zoo has once again taken over.

The album grasps you from the first lick of "Where To Start", a lick that like most Faulkner riffs, amazes the ears and makes a lot of people think, "How?". From there, what follows is a collection of incredible songs (personal favourites are hard to select at this stage) that show Newton Faulkner's incredible range of talent both instrumentally and vocally, as well as a very unique production sound that you would not guess had been recorded in a small home studio surrounded by webcams.

The inclusion of artists such as Mumford and Sons bassist Ted Dwane, X Factor competitor Janet Devlin and cellist India Bourne are incredible additions to an already immensly musical atmosphere.

I already wrote on Twitter, "Not only a great album but a great souvenir of five weeks of some great entertainment", a sentiment that sticks with me everytime I will listen I'm sure.
on 26 August 2013
This is just perfection! I've watched the live making of this studiozoo album and it has been wonderful to be a part of, and see how the music maestro known as Newton Faulkner has written, recorded, mixed and mastered this masterpiece. I have every one of Newton's albums, and everyone of them is timeless in its own right. I highly recommend the whole collection :-)
on 26 August 2013
I was fortunate enough to tune into Newton Faulkner's Studio Zoo live stream to watch the master at work while he produced this exceptional album. During the five weeks of recording I was only absent one day, so I can declare with complete honesty that this album MUST become part of your music collection.

Newton (and talented brother, Toby) have outdone themselves with this brilliant collection of songs...every single one a hit. The bar has been raised and I predict this album will be talked about for a long time to come. A classic in the making and an absolute must buy!
on 9 September 2013
I have a previous album from this talented guy but Studio Zoo is even better. I love his voice and the fact that I can hear all his lyrics without any 'guesswork' is quite unique these days. Well done Newton! The CD's arrived in the post just as I was dashing out so I eagerly popped it in my cars music system so I could listen as I made my journey. What a great journey! The first six tracks seemed quite melancholy - first listening impression. (I hadn't had the opportunity to listen the day before which was a shame. I was impressed with that feature of my purchase -even though I didn't have time to utilise it). I reached my destination at this point. When I got back into my car and track 7 'At the seams' started to play I felt quite uplifted. It's definately one of my favourite tracks, so far, as is 'Waiting on You' 'Keep Trying' and 'Can't give it away'. I have insisted my family listen to Studio Zoo and I also shared it with friends a couple of nights ago. All gave positive feedback. The more I listen to it the more I think 'This is a grower!' I really liked it but now I love it. He never disappoints. The acoustic guitar playing and percussion effects are really very good. Such talent. The lyrics conjure up such visual imagery too. A lovely couple of albums..
on 5 September 2013
I absolutely love Newton Faulkner's work and have seen him live which is an amazing experience...but...

This album does not consistently deliver; there are some excellent moments that make it worth the price and much more, but there are also tracks which lack the craftsmanship of his previous offerings.

I'm still a great fan and will be seeing him live next year - tickets purchased! - but I don't expect to want to listen to the whole album repeatedly - it has gems (which I'll leave you to find) amongst some less valuable items.
on 10 September 2013
I found Newton by accident last year and I bought 'Write It On Your Skin' as I loved the sound so I was excited to discover he had a new album out and I purchased 'Studio Zoo' on the strength of the previews. I love Plastic Hearts, it's my fav song at the mo but the whole album is great as far as I am concerned!! I love acoustic music and I feel that Newton Faulkner has a stroke of genius in his work. Please don't ever stop making music :-) xx
on 12 January 2015
Took a bit more time to get into this one than my instant love of "hand built by robots" & "rebuilt by humans", but it's really grown on me and has fast become one of my favourite albums :)
on 14 September 2013
This album is amazing! It's a real chill out album which is really relaxing. He's done it again and amazed me with another fantastic album. I saw some of Studio Zoo while he was creating it and it was great watching Newton create the songs and finally listen to the finished piece.
on 26 August 2013
It was a brave (some might say risky?) decision by Newton Faulkner to give everyone a 'fly on the wall' insight into the process that IS recording an album. But Newton, his brother Toby, sister (and manager) Lottie & photographer and graphic designer Emily Coxhead - collectively - made it all happen before our very eyes in such a way that they made it SEEM like they were old hands at this 'live streaming 24/7 from 4 webcams whilst creating an album' malarkey, fact is, they were dipping their toes into unknown waters! However, they pulled it off beautifully, and the resulting album is like an audio shap-shot of a balmy sun-drenched 5 week period that (when listened to) conjurers up that relaxing Summer vibe as the Autumnal season looms ever closer.

The album contains 13 beautifully lyrical, melodious, multi-layered pieces of work which are made even MORE beautiful by the additional musical input from the guests who popped into StudioZoo during the 5 week long project, to add their own magic to this body of work.

Primarily, people such as:
India Bourne - Classically trained Cellist & amazingly talented multi-instrumentalist (who you may have seen accompanying Ben Howard over the last few years)
Ted Dwane - one quarter of Mumford & Sons, and Double Bass player extraordinaire
Janet Devlin - a finalist on X Factor 2011
Ryan Keen - an amazing Devonian singer/songwriter who is about to release his OWN debut album 'Room For Light' on September 23rd 2013
Sam Brookes - another new singer/songwriter to listen out for
All brought something unique, sumptuous and special to the party.

This is Newton's 4th album and if the pre-orders and rapid sales - post-Midnight - of the downloadable version on the day the album was officially released (August 26th 2013) are anything to go by, THREE is really going to prove to be the magic number for this amazing singer/songwriter!

I highly recommend Studio Zoo to anyone with an ear for great music!!
on 4 September 2013
I loved the first album, second was so so, this one is pretty much the sdame for me. I know that when i start skipping tracks on my ipod when playing in the car. Too many skips and not enough full listens. SOme good numbers but too few to hold my attention.