Customer reviews

Format: DVD|Change

on 18 June 2017
This is a great show, intelligently written and emotive. The whole story was not at all what I was expecting and there were several twists in the narrative that took me completely by surprise. A good show for those who liked shows such as Shiki, Flowers of Evil or Corpse Party; but Another is possibly a little more "accessible" than those other titles.

If you are not big on anime but enjoy shows like Twin Peaks then perhaps you should also give Another a try; you may be pleasantly surprised.
on 14 June 2017
Love this anime :D prompt delivery also contributed to the 5 stars :)
on 30 November 2013
Another is a decent horror/mystery anime which at times can be eerily creepy, suspenseful and has each episode leaving you wanting more just so you can find out what is going on.

In 1972 a popular student of Yomiyama North middle school's class 3-3 dies suddenly partway through the school year, and the students and teachers are so devastated by the loss they act as though she is still alive, which leads to a strange presence in on the graduation photo. From then on there is a mysterious phenomenon that somehow leads the students of class 3-3 and their relatives to die, more often than not in weird and gruesome ways.
In spring 1998 Koichi transfers from Tokyo into class 3-3, and meets a girl called Mei who is a student that everyone else seemingly ignores, and thus Koichi becomes ensnared into the gruesome mystery.

The style of the show is excellent with odd images flashing up momentarily, so that you are not even certain if you saw what flashed up, and an excellent music score that helps to emphasise the oddness and creepiness of the show, all of which helps to keep the viewer slightly off balanced as the series progresses.
At times I had chills and goosebumps down my arms as a particularly odd scene would occur and my mind was trying to work things out.

This is not a jump out and scare you horror series, it is a psychological horror, and a very good one as your mind builds up the anticipation of possible death. The series put me in mind of Twin Peeks, in the way that all the characters were slightly odd, and in its ability to build up good levels of creepiness and mystery. At other times I was reminded of Final Destination.
Some of the deaths are very gruesome and a couple are "flinch worthy", as well as bloody, but it does not go over the top, and your focus is more on the students reactions as they become more and more traumatised and trapped within their circumstances, and that is where the real horror lies. Not in the deaths but the students fearing that they might be next.

This show is definitely worth watching, I watched this by myself and mostly in the dark which helped with the creepy factor, but even episodes that I watched in broad daylight still left me feeling a little spooked. I found for maximum effect if you watched this series one episode at a time and then refuse to talk to others about it, not only did it make this great series last longer, but also helped me better emphasise with the students situation, one student in particular.

It is an excellent series, and I would love another season (rumour mill is suggesting there will be). It was close to being 5/5 for me, and if I could I would give it a strong 4.5/5 and I might re-watch it soon and see if I upgrade it to 5/5.
77 Comments| 9 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 19 February 2015
This is a very good anime.
Fantastic atmosphere, a convincing Red Herring, an intriguing story (which gets unfair and unfavourable comparisons to another horror series), a solid animation budget, a fantastic score, interesting discussions and a bundle of shout-outs.
I have to criticise the English dub for lacking... passion; to borrow a popular phrase, it felt "phoned in". I also have a minor complaint about a (very) minor element of the plot. I can't go into detail, it would spoil. Put simply, to keep the mystery of the series in the dark, one character acts in a certain way which in hindsight seems unusual. This is either an over-sight and an out-of-character moment, or adds a layer to this character which was never outright stated. I'm going to be optimistic and assume the latter.
The ending is mildly divisive. It's a difficult series to end, and settles for a finale which is safer and certainly more action packed than it's earlier episodes. While some criticise this - and I'll admit it had a few problems - I think it was still a very good anime that ended strong, but not as strong as it had the potential to be.

I'm a huge fan of this anime; I have a lot of bias toward it and I could easily gush about Another for hours. if I were to go on my personal, subjective opinion I would give this 5/5 stars. However objectively I think I should give it 4 stars.
on 28 December 2013
WARNING : 13th OVA episode is NOT amongst the DVD's extras as it was originally reported to be.

An excellent Anime series that has a terrific look and great music score.

On the story front, it's actually better to go into it knowing as little as possible. It starts as an apparent ghost story but winds up going off in an altogether unexpected direction, winding up a strange hybrid of an Agatha Christie novel and a Final Destination Movie.

This is my second favourite horror anime of recent years (after Shiki) and it's definitely worth getting.
55 Comments| 5 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 12 December 2014
A show well deserving of a blu ray release. Crisp, clean visuals combined with very nice animation and colour schemes. Very atmospheric and very chilling at times. The English voice acting is the finest cast Funimation has to offer including Greg Ayres and Monica Rial in the leading roles. I did buy this on DVD when it first came out and then I treated myself to the blu ray version a year later as I had no idea a UK region one existed.

It's tricky talking about this anime without giving too much away but the main plot revolves around a cursed class in a Japanese high school. Since the year a student died under mysterious circumstances in said class, certain conditions have to be met in order to appease the curse they left behind. Sit back and get sucked into the mystery as our heroes unravel the truth before time runs out and more of their classmates are claimed by "another".
on 1 March 2014
Another was a series that frustrated and delighted me in equal measures. The show has an overriding tone of creepiness and has a great sense of atmosphere. Watching the mystery of Class 3-3 slowly reveal itself was an experience that kept me on the edge of the seat and had me second-guessing how the "evil" manifested itself right to the conclusion. Unfortunately for Another, it seemed to pull all of its best tricks in the first half of the series, the opening six episodes are all stellar in terms of pacing and twists that the second half just can't compete with. That doesn't detract too greatly from the series, since the second half is still enjoyable albeit disappointing given the incredible opening. The show's strengths are the way that it delivers scares, preferring to frighten the viewer with a pervading sense of impending doom instead of just resorting to continuous cheap jump scares. There's a fair amount of gore in the show in the form of the Final Destination-esque death scenes that serve to remind you just how dire the situation is that Class 3-3 finds itself in.

Overall, Another is thoroughly entertaining show that just falls short of a five-star rating because of a few problems with writing and pacing.
on 20 November 2016
The characters in this series... well, actually, they were fairly hard to tell apart at times, because there were a lot of characters and by the time I knew who was who, the series was half over.

There were some atmospheric parts, but unfortunately these countered by parts that were funny for the wrong reasons - sometimes, even in scene establishing shots. At one point in the first episode, three students were in the protagonist's hospital room, and they were standing composed, but then introduced themselves. I repeat the "standing composed part" - apparently they entered his room, but said nothing until they were standing in a formal position - or, for all I know, they may have stared at him for minutes before remembering why they were there.
on 16 October 2014
I adore this anime! This has got to be my favorite! I had waited for ages for it to be released as I watched it online. It was worth the wait! If you like anime and supernatural genres then this will be perfect for you! I seriously recommend!!
At first this anime will appear quite slow as if it isn't going anywhere, but it does become more interesting as it goes on. Unfortunately this is only short as an ongoing series would have been even more impressive. I guess there is only so much they can do without people getting bored, so one series is enough.
I am a huge fan of Deathnote due to its supernatural feel to it along with dusk maiden on amnesia. Another tops my list of favorites though as the suspense and gore are brilliant!
on 7 August 2016
A spate of deaths in a class in a Japanese school mean the children ostracise one of their number to ward off the curse. There's an investigation and as tensions grow and the pupils turn on one anther a showdown is inevitable. There's almost no character development other than the standard tropes of the genre. The ending wasn't really a surprise as the anime kind of gave you a big clue early on. Good job I was paying attention. Voice acting is OK, it's not exceptional and the animation is fine. All in all it's a good watch.