on 12 December 2014
A show well deserving of a blu ray release. Crisp, clean visuals combined with very nice animation and colour schemes. Very atmospheric and very chilling at times. The English voice acting is the finest cast Funimation has to offer including Greg Ayres and Monica Rial in the leading roles. I did buy this on DVD when it first came out and then I treated myself to the blu ray version a year later as I had no idea a UK region one existed.

It's tricky talking about this anime without giving too much away but the main plot revolves around a cursed class in a Japanese high school. Since the year a student died under mysterious circumstances in said class, certain conditions have to be met in order to appease the curse they left behind. Sit back and get sucked into the mystery as our heroes unravel the truth before time runs out and more of their classmates are claimed by "another".
on 19 February 2015
This is a very good anime.
Fantastic atmosphere, a convincing Red Herring, an intriguing story (which gets unfair and unfavourable comparisons to another horror series), a solid animation budget, a fantastic score, interesting discussions and a bundle of shout-outs.
I have to criticise the English dub for lacking... passion; to borrow a popular phrase, it felt "phoned in". I also have a minor complaint about a (very) minor element of the plot. I can't go into detail, it would spoil. Put simply, to keep the mystery of the series in the dark, one character acts in a certain way which in hindsight seems unusual. This is either an over-sight and an out-of-character moment, or adds a layer to this character which was never outright stated. I'm going to be optimistic and assume the latter.
The ending is mildly divisive. It's a difficult series to end, and settles for a finale which is safer and certainly more action packed than it's earlier episodes. While some criticise this - and I'll admit it had a few problems - I think it was still a very good anime that ended strong, but not as strong as it had the potential to be.

I'm a huge fan of this anime; I have a lot of bias toward it and I could easily gush about Another for hours. if I were to go on my personal, subjective opinion I would give this 5/5 stars. However objectively I think I should give it 4 stars.
on 20 November 2016
The characters in this series... well, actually, they were fairly hard to tell apart at times, because there were a lot of characters and by the time I knew who was who, the series was half over.

There were some atmospheric parts, but unfortunately these countered by parts that were funny for the wrong reasons - sometimes, even in scene establishing shots. At one point in the first episode, three students were in the protagonist's hospital room, and they were standing composed, but then introduced themselves. I repeat the "standing composed part" - apparently they entered his room, but said nothing until they were standing in a formal position - or, for all I know, they may have stared at him for minutes before remembering why they were there.
on 28 December 2013
WARNING : 13th OVA episode is NOT amongst the DVD's extras as it was originally reported to be.

An excellent Anime series that has a terrific look and great music score.

On the story front, it's actually better to go into it knowing as little as possible. It starts as an apparent ghost story but winds up going off in an altogether unexpected direction, winding up a strange hybrid of an Agatha Christie novel and a Final Destination Movie.

This is my second favourite horror anime of recent years (after Shiki) and it's definitely worth getting.
55 Comments| 5 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 18 June 2017
This is a great show, intelligently written and emotive. The whole story was not at all what I was expecting and there were several twists in the narrative that took me completely by surprise. A good show for those who liked shows such as Shiki, Flowers of Evil or Corpse Party; but Another is possibly a little more "accessible" than those other titles.

If you are not big on anime but enjoy shows like Twin Peaks then perhaps you should also give Another a try; you may be pleasantly surprised.
on 1 March 2014
Another was a series that frustrated and delighted me in equal measures. The show has an overriding tone of creepiness and has a great sense of atmosphere. Watching the mystery of Class 3-3 slowly reveal itself was an experience that kept me on the edge of the seat and had me second-guessing how the "evil" manifested itself right to the conclusion. Unfortunately for Another, it seemed to pull all of its best tricks in the first half of the series, the opening six episodes are all stellar in terms of pacing and twists that the second half just can't compete with. That doesn't detract too greatly from the series, since the second half is still enjoyable albeit disappointing given the incredible opening. The show's strengths are the way that it delivers scares, preferring to frighten the viewer with a pervading sense of impending doom instead of just resorting to continuous cheap jump scares. There's a fair amount of gore in the show in the form of the Final Destination-esque death scenes that serve to remind you just how dire the situation is that Class 3-3 finds itself in.

Overall, Another is thoroughly entertaining show that just falls short of a five-star rating because of a few problems with writing and pacing.
on 7 August 2016
A spate of deaths in a class in a Japanese school mean the children ostracise one of their number to ward off the curse. There's an investigation and as tensions grow and the pupils turn on one anther a showdown is inevitable. There's almost no character development other than the standard tropes of the genre. The ending wasn't really a surprise as the anime kind of gave you a big clue early on. Good job I was paying attention. Voice acting is OK, it's not exceptional and the animation is fine. All in all it's a good watch.
on 16 October 2014
I adore this anime! This has got to be my favorite! I had waited for ages for it to be released as I watched it online. It was worth the wait! If you like anime and supernatural genres then this will be perfect for you! I seriously recommend!!
At first this anime will appear quite slow as if it isn't going anywhere, but it does become more interesting as it goes on. Unfortunately this is only short as an ongoing series would have been even more impressive. I guess there is only so much they can do without people getting bored, so one series is enough.
I am a huge fan of Deathnote due to its supernatural feel to it along with dusk maiden on amnesia. Another tops my list of favorites though as the suspense and gore are brilliant!
on 4 April 2018
This is a great anime, the story moves well, the characters are well developed, it can be a bit gruesome in places, so probably not suitable for younger children, but I enjoyed it very much and there is a twist in the tale at the end which brings it to a satisfying conclusion.
on 18 December 2016
A ghost story with a difference, this anime series is nothing if not intriguing. A transfer student is put into a class with a terrible secret. It all seems to centre on a mysterious classmate with an eyepatch. Watch out for the twist at the end!