on 3 January 2014
I was a bit unsure when I got this laptop going out of the box. Getting used to windows 8 was the first thing but after a day or two. It started to become easier so stick with it. The first issue was the unit seemed to run slow! So , first thing was to update windows 8 to v 8.1 which took a bit of time. This seemed to improve things. But still not right in my view. I then removed mc afee ( windows 8 has windows defender included which is free) . This made a big difference performance wise. Next I used the intel update manager to update drivers, especially the wireless driver. This brought the broadband use right up to where it should be. So now everything going fine. The touchscreen needs a bit of getting used to and responds well, but no where near an ipad.
So all in all good laptop for the price. But be prepared for some tweaking to get it really going.
on 6 November 2013
Great laptop, nice and easy to use, only downside that I didn't know or was written up is that the core i3 model doesn't come with a CD/DVD ROM drive, no big deal to me but others may find this as big downside
33 comments| 72 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 25 January 2014
W8 is a different (better) experience on a touchscreen machine. The 8.1 update takes ages on a rural connection.

Big 1TB HDD. Doesn't have a internal DVD drive but it is much cheaper to use an USB one on the rare occasion it is needed than pay for a similar spec with a DVD. Also is more flexible as can link up a bluray if needed.

Overall excellent value for money.
on 21 February 2014
Absolutely fantastic, 100% recommended to anyone who is looking for a high spec laptop. Very well designed and great build quality.
on 13 January 2014
This was an impulse buy for my wife as a Christmas gift because she had talked about getting her own computer sometime. I bought it in the Amazon Black Friday sale where you have to be quick if you think the item is popular and might sell out quickly, but the upside is a very keen price.

I must say I have been very impressed with this machine in all respects. My wife is not an accomplished computer-user, and has little interest in technology, but she does use an iPhone for email and social media. The brilliant thing about this computer is the excellent touchscreen which is the interface with which she is now familiar having used the iPhone for a number of months. Windows 8 is very different, but to me it's fun to have a challenge, and Mrs is more or less learning from scratch anyway. So far, thankfully, she seems to like her new box of tricks.

The computer is well designed, slim and very lightweight. It's fast and the 1 Terabyte drive should last a few years. Rachel commented that there's no CD/DVD ROM drive which is true, but for various reasons this is the trend nowadays and it's a simple matter to connect an external drive via USB. Mark reported problems with the touchpad but I have to say that I've not experienced this.

Overall a very competent machine which appeals to novice (Mrs) and more experienced user (self) alike. After three weeks' use I'm happy to recommend and award five stars. If we experience longer-term problems I'll re-post and let you know!
on 6 February 2014
. Have found it easy to adjust to the new format that my old laptop had and I am 78 years old. All in all very pleased with purchase.
on 16 January 2014
bought this as a quick replacement for my old laptop which one of my cats was sick over and I lost the keyboard, although my other laptop was top of the range Samsung and this is budget range on performance i have to say this is far better, it's speedy, boots up really quickly my other one took an age to boot up, and for my needs it's perfect, although a DVD drive would have been good, I bought one when I bought this machine and works ok although I haven't tried playing movies, just loading software I needed to and putting my fav music on here. , only downside for me is it doesn't have enough usb ports but a usb hub solved that problem, but all in all a good budget laptop would highly recommend to anyone looking for a budget touch screen laptop
on 28 January 2014
I needed a replacement for my six year old Acer and this one was recommended by my son but when he was setting it up for me even he was surprised at the value for money.
on 7 February 2014
Ordered this after returning a 11.6 inch notebook due to the wife not being able to read the text. Item took one working day to be delivered, (ordered friday, delivered monday) and I live in Spain.
Item was packed securely and exactly as stated.. First thing was to download all updates (79) of them and upgrade to 8.1, all of this took app 7 hours.!!!!!
Bluetooth had been working in windows 8 but was not there in 8.1, this was sorted by updating the drivers. I wanted to be able to send media to PC without wires, ( smart TV) was led to understand this notebook was not WiDi ready and would need HDMI cable or some sort of dongle to enable me to achieve this. Not so. Just download the WiDi software and follow the set up and bingo. I can now project my notebook to Pc easily.
I am still getting my head around 8.1, but am beginning to like it.
I would buy another without hesitation
A Ashton
on 21 February 2014
Did not like it at first as I am an old die hard and had found Windows 8 a bit of a pain to get used to on my newer PC. The addition of the touch screen has made all the difference. Its memory and HDD are great for working on images and short videos alike, the processor is more than fast enough to load a High Def image to full screen almost instantly. I have added an optical mouse as the on board touch pad seems a little erratic and actually seems to move slightly in use. For the price it is a more than adequate carry round machine and with the addition of a 1Tb external drive easily handles all my image storage and processing needs.