on 19 August 2013
A few weeks ago, I read about solar-powered garden lanterns in a traditional mason jar and liked them right away. These solar jars are suitable for indoor and outdoor use. Once charged they can be turned on via a magnetic switch and light up for about five hours. The light is meant to be bright enough to read by. That was the clincher for me. I wanted some solar jars! I also liked the fact that the jars can be personalised. The actual jar is empty because the four LED lights and the solar cell are contained in the lid. So they can be filled with decorative items of the owner's choice.

As they weren't available in Britain at the time, I contacted the seller directly via their German website and ordered three jars, which were very promptly dispatched and arrived safely packaged within a few days. Despite the weather being dull when they arrived they did charge up and we were able to use them that same evening. When it got sufficiently dark, I got out my Kindle to see if you can really read by the light. Yes, you can! This is something I always missed before when sitting out late on a balmy summer night.

Friends and neighbours were just as taken with the solar jars as we were and we placed another joint order for 12 jars directly with the seller. And we've all realised that we should have ordered more as everyone who sees them wants one. Plus, they make really good presents.

So I've just ordered another one via Amazon UK taking advantage of the special introductory price and free P&P. I don't think it'll be my last one.

Not only do these solar jars offer an environmentally friendly way to light your garden or table setting, their production in South Africa has also given jobs to currently 25 people who were previously unemployed. In South Africa, the solar jars are also used for lighting in areas not connected to the electricity grid. (This information can be found on the German website.)
22 Comments| 39 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 14 March 2016
Right.... This Jar is a fantastic little idea that seems to harness solar energy and convert it to light, it looks very pretty + would defintely lighten up any Garden party + baby shower. However, the build quality leaves a lot to be desired. For examle, the mettal clasp that holds the magnet which is used to switch the light on and off is wonky, and a little off kilter - I ordered two of these and they both had the same problem.

Secondly, the rubber seal that is used to place the Solar Panel to the rim of the lid is also put there with little to no glue, which again causes issues if you're planning to take off the lid and place some sparkly beads or stones.

It's for these reasons I ended up sending them both back and got myself a refund.

It's a decent product but for the price + build quality, it could defintely be better.
on 20 July 2016
I absolutely love these - they look great on my balcony, and are surprisingly bright, without being too "glarey". I filled them with white pebbles and fake succulents, as I have a black thumb and find it impossible to keep plants alive. Really, really pleased.
review image
on 4 August 2016
Lovely jars, purchased a few after reading about them being hand made in africa :)

i have filled mine with colored sand and sea shells, they look very nice lit up on the outside decking table when we have guests, the lids are very sturdy, i did have one led light no last long but they are well made and for a good cause.
on 10 February 2016
This looks great with shells in the bottom. i hadn't realised that this light does not automatically come on at dusk. It has an on/switch. The bright light is great.
on 12 July 2016
This is great for the garden on a summer evening. I love the fact that you can fill it witch what ever you like. I currently have some pretty beach shells in mine. Gives out a lot of light which is nice. I like the story behind these also when you look them up on the net.
on 12 October 2016
A fantastic idea to bring overnight light to those without power supplies.Get creative and they'll work for you too. Excellent, in use in our garden where we have a lot of sunshine but no power supply. Night's are drawing in, but the lights come on, no problem.
on 22 May 2014
Just got this, it charged quickly and the light it gives out is fantastic. I love the little button you flip over to switch it on, and it's great that it can be hung up, too. I would buy loads of these if they weren't £20 each but they're great design so probably worth it but if they were £12 or so, I'd have bought half a dozen!
on 15 August 2016
I bought this product last April for the long summer nights..unfortunately one of the two does not work and since my time is up for a replacement as I have only just tried them I can't get a replacement...which is unfortunate..they are quite expensive look good but maybe the technology isn't up to scratch...they seem very intricate inside the lids and maybe prone to damage..
on 29 May 2017
This is a lovely solar-powered LED light jar. It works as per description, as long as you place it in a bright area it'll work. I had the jar beside a window on a cloudy day and it worked perfectly. On top of that, it also supports USB charging as a back-up. I'm very pleased with the purchase and prompt service.