Style Name: DVD/CD burner w/ labelflash|Change
Price:£16.33 - £39.99

on 24 August 2014
The picture was a bit of a giveaway for me knowing it would come as is (without anything).
For some i can assume they would be disappointed to open the box and only find the drive.

My case is a Cooler Master and does not require screws to fit a rom but if you do,
you can buy 50 for a few pound on amazon and i'm sure you can get less screws for pennies on other sites.

Is it real?
one reviewer says it does not show Pioneer on the front so they were unsure if it was real or not?
I can confirm that if you right click your drive then click properties,hardware it should come up something like this......PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-221L ATA Device.

I have been backing up my 1tb external so 8.5gb discs have been at the ready and it's safe to say i have not had any problems or errors so far.

Anybody with problems will always assume it's the drive and not even account the discs been used or the programs.
The discs i have been using have been ARITA and AonePLUS+.
The program been used is Ashampoo Burning Studio.

The drive didn't come with a program?
Again,
something i expected and i probably would have used my own anyway.
Everybody likes to use their own brand of software so for a large portion of user, this would not be a issue.

If you are new to all this then i would get some free trials or ask around to see what other people use and see which names crop up the most.

At £12.61 with free delivery, it really is not going to break the bank.
I think some people expect a £100 dvdrw for pocket change and moan when it does not do what they want but that aside, i have not had any problems so i would call it more of a steal.

Why is it so cheap?
It's barebones which means it comes with NOTHING.

Lets try to simplify it.......

It would cost more if it came with programs and packaging that you didn't want compared to if it came on it's own which is better for people who want to just slot it inside a pc and carry on with their own programs.

dvdrw's are pretty cheap these days with bluray been the next step and eventually could become standard (but not for a long time).

I would recommend this product.
on 9 January 2015
I needed a DVD burner with LabelFlash for my new Windows 7 Acer computer, and this fits the bill perfectly. It's the same make as the old drive, and exactly the same size, so it was easy to fit. But it wasn't easy to find information on LabelFlash compatible software though! There's no documentation with the drive, and no helpful information on the Pioneer website (http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Computer/Computer+Drives/DVR-221LBK).

The IndexMaker software provided by Yamaha is available on the LabelFlash website, but it's very basic, and not compatible with Windows 7. Roxio Creator NXT no longer seems to support LabelFlash, only LightScribe. The only programme I found to work with both Windows 7 and LabelFlash, was Nero CoverDesigner Essentials, which is part of Nero 9 Essentials. It offers a rather basic label designer, with a picture of a disc, and tools to position and resize JPEGs over the template. There is also a simple text editor, but this doesn't seem to have the ability to wrap text at all. This might possibly be improved if I upgraded to Nero 2015 Classic, but I'm not sure it's worth it just to give more label-printing options. Printing my first LabelFlash label (on the label side) with a JPEG and some text took about 15-20 minutes, and I have to say it looks pretty nice. Of course, it's a monochrome blue & silver image, so not fantastically detailed or contrasty, but pleasing to look at and easily legible. One useful feature might be a preview function to get an idea of what the finished article will look like before printing.

The disc drive specs (read/write speeds, disc compatibility etc) are pretty much the same as my old one (a Pioneer DVR-219RS) , but I did notice that it seems to be much quieter, which is a bonus. I'm very pleased with my new drive, although it took a fair amount of work to find the best software to use the LabelFlash functionality. The drive is being offered at a good price by the seller.
on 10 May 2014
I purchased this to replace an old Sony unit that had started being picky about which DVDs it would play and seemed to have forgotten that it was capable of writing discs too. I was going to get a Samsung unit which was a bit cheaper, but there were limited delivery options which bumped up the price. I got this with free delivery and it arrived within a week.

I've used the unit extensively and it works perfectly. Not only that but, unlike some reviewers, I've found it very quiet whether it's reading or recording. Highly recommended, but do note that it's completely bare-bones - no cables, mounting bolts or manual.
on 13 January 2016
It appears to be a real Pioneer drive. I have only used it in CD read mode, so far, and it has proved reliable. The drawback is that the LED is inset into the black plastic bezel and one has to view it head on to see whether it is working. Seems very good for the price.
on 29 June 2014
Many drives these days run pretty quietly, but this comes at the cost of performance. This drive spins up to full speed in useful scenarios (so say installing software from disc is quicker), yet is still as quiet as the others when doing something low-speed such as DVD playback. I've bought at least ten of this model of drive so far, no problems with disc types or failures.
on 31 October 2015
I've always had pioneer drives and I wanted another for my new build. But what a let down. When reading/burning discs it sounds like it's about to take off. I had to download an optical drive speed limiter to sort it out.
It's now 3 days out of warranty and the drive keeps burning WAY to fast even though I set it to 6x in Nero. Lots of disc errors. This may be a one off, but it'll have to go.
on 20 March 2014
the pioneer dvr-221blk is a very good dvd writer i am very happy with the build quality and performance i have used pioneer products for many years and this one proves to be on par with everything i have had from pioneer
on 27 June 2014
I'm using this as an external drive to rip DVDs to m4v using Handbrake 0.9.9 on a MBP 2.6GHz i5. It takes 15 mins to rip a 90-100 minute full length feature film. Much faster than the old Mac Superdrive. Great quality. Constantly reliable and looks like its built to work in a war zone. Fabulous drive at an unbelievably low price.
on 28 July 2014
Had to buy this as when I 'upgraded' to WIndows 8 my old Samsung DVD writer was no longer recognised for some unknown reason (it still showed up in BIOS). Anyway, this arrived, cheap so no complaints, slotted in and worked first time. Hasn't given me any problems but I don't use the drive much these days anyway.
on 25 January 2016
At £13, this was a steal. It fits well, looks well, and performs well and relatively silently for the price. Reads and writes CDs as it should, which I expected from Pioneer, I'm happy.
I really like how this was boxed, consumer components can be boxed ridiculously, this didn't take up half the recycling bin!

LabelFlash is ignorable to say the least, unless you have a glut of LabelFlash DVDs to utilise, I wouldn't be including it whilst weighing up my purchace.