Format: Audio CD|Change

on 15 December 2005
Please ignore the slightly superficial comments from the other reviewers. This is, no doubt, one of the top 10 80s albums. It ranks up there with the best from Duran, Simple Minds et al. It has all the killer ingredients that made 80s pop so powerful. Namely, outstanding production with great depth and subtlety, cracking tunes, soaring vocals and great instrumentation (the slap bass is something special). How this album became overlooked at the time is beyond me.
It's clear that (Feels Like) Heaven (go on the brackets) is an all-time classic but do not think that the rest of the album disappoints. If you appreciate your 80s pop then there is no need to flick through a single track. Ghost of Love has a driving slap bass and super guitar riff, the title track is a soaring piece of emotional pop and Heart and Mind has the kind of high-hat work that Roger Taylor would be proud of.
Buy with confidence - this album deserves all the recognition it can get. It's up there with the Ward Brothers as the great lost album of the 80s.
on 2 April 2013
Anyone looking at this review probably already knows of Fiction Factory; or, at the very least, has heart (Feels Like) Heaven and wants to know more about the band. Well, there's enough on the internet about the band and their short career so I'm not going to waste space here going into it. Suffice to say, this is an excellent album from an underrated band!

Now, the important bit.

You may not know that this album has been release twice. Once as a 10 track CD (the one listed with picture here on Amazon); but there was also a 1993 12 Track version.

THAT version included the songs 'Rise and Fall' and 'I Who Know You'. Both are excellent tracks; and it is well worth tracking down the other version for those tracks. The barcode number for that version is: 5018665297326 and it CAN be found here on Amazon if you search using the code.

Enjoy!
on 24 September 2013
Excellent reissue of a lost classic. FF only had two albums and this one clearly sets the tone for what the band was about. A cross between early Simple Minds,Tears For Fears and The Associates. Cherry Red has done a decent job in the remastering process with all the b sides and remixes presented here immaculately. Anyone wondering about the loudness factor: there's none whatsoever . Buy it Now !
on 30 October 2013
Fiction Factory will go down as a one-hit-wonder band. Nothing new there - even great bands of longevity like Blue Oyster Cult suffer that fate to those unwilling to delve a little deeper.

And, yes, Heaven is the best track on this CD. But Panic, Ghost go Love and The Warped Wheel are near equal. Hit the Mark, The First Step and Tales of Tears are all very good songs. The Hanging Gardens (experimental), All or Nothing (the most dated) and Heart and Mind (the dullest) are the weakest on the original album, but are by no means poor.

Of the additional B sides, The Other Side of Grey and I Who Know You are really good, while Everyone But You (with the lovely bitter refrain "I dream of everyone but you - I leave you out!") is wonderful. Dreaming of Someone is pretty good too. The only true bum note is Old Game Blue Flame.

I listened to FF's follow-up album at the time but didn't care for it at all. Perhaps Fiction Factory should be referred to as a one-hit-album-wonder band.
on 11 May 2000
Fiction Factory, like so many things in life were only appreciated after they'd gone. I regularly hear Feels Like Heaven and Hate That Ghost of Love on Czech Radio ( I'm a Scot based in Prague ). This album is fine and competent but the high hopes you have of something excellent following the first track are all too soon dashed, it'll bring back a few memories to those who remember this band from their brief period of success.
on 2 October 2013
Catchy, funky basslines roll my backbone free,
Young Karloff voice of heaven turns the fire to sea
Remaster plaster in my ears stamped
SOLD SOLD SOLD (this should've been gold)

Mackenzie dances in his grave
to beats but lost in time
My verbiage from elation
No shame felt here - to not live is a crime

Heaven is a secret - Heaven is a lie!
Dance to it now unabashadly
Seize the moment
Seize every note

I've played this thing a thousand times
I know it all by rote.

....ok now that I've got that out of my system.....

'Heaven' is but one of many great, great songs on here. What a beautiful slab of well written, immaculately played, euphoria this is. To have the original ten tracks redone is sufficient but as per Cherry Pop the equivalent of an additional album is included here: each 12" remixed and followed by each of it's b-sides is set down in order of release.

Some of these b-sides are of 'A' side quality - 'Everyone but You','I Who Know You' and 'Dreaming of Someone' in particular. Living on the east coast of Canada I was never able to get my hands on the singles and had copied 'Everyone but You' and 'This Is' from Utube - I was elated but only discovered the final two here - I am doing somersaults and cartwheels!!!!! (the way Kevin sings 'ex-periments with facts' from 'I Who Know You' is orgasmic.

This is pure cheeseless zone - sharp and clever.

If I can remember back to '84 I think CBS were really busy promoting Bruce Springsteen and Alison Moyet ....zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Believe me if you are/were a fan of the better albums by ABC, Associates or 'Bringing Home the Ashes' by Wild Swans you really need to give this your ear...I just don't tire of it???

Sound is much improved.

Thank You to all thos at CherryPop.....Thank You, Thank You, Thank You.
on 10 January 2014
I used to have the brilliant feels like heaven on 7' and also the single ghost of love which didnt do anything really but I liked it and these two songs are probably my favourite two on album to be honest......rest of album on my first listen two listens are just fair average songs .....
on 11 March 2001
I highly recommend this CD. Fiction Factory was one of the groups in the 80s that had a hit or 2 and then dissappeared. This album includes their N0. 1 hit single Feels like heaven but the rest of the songs are just as good. A definite must for New Wave and 80s fans.
on 20 June 2000
This is one of my all time favourite albums of the 8O's. It is just a shame they are no longer around to brings such classics as feels like heaven and the album track Hanging garden. Come back lads we are lost without your music
on 12 July 2011
All I will say about this album is that it's good. For this price you will not be disappointed.

What I would like to say (that nobody else has) is that it has poor sound quality, possibly the worst I have heard from a CD. The high frequency content appears to have been lost, leaving a wooly and dry sound. I have a 45rpm of "Feels Like Heaven" and even with the scratches, it completely blows this copy out of the water. I've also got a CD-R copy of the same track (from an old compilation album) and it also blows this CD away. Lord knows which generation of master tape it was derived from.

A very needy case for remastering but being a flash-in-the-pan 80's group, I fear it will not be.