Customer reviews

Berghaus Men's RG1 3 in 1 Jacket - Black/Carbon, X-Large
Size: X-Large|Colour: Black/Carbon|Change
Price:£133.60 - £155.19

on 15 August 2017
Fantastic waterproof coat. When worn separately the fleece fits perfect but the shell is a little big, probably to make room for the fleece when worn together.
on 25 January 2016
Warm, waterproof, versatile.
on 4 January 2015
Great except not enough pockets
on 22 September 2015
I must first start off by saying that although this is a great value coat, I personally experienced several manufacturing defects with my purchase, which resulted in Amazon having to send this item out to me three times until I received one of satisfactory quality. Issues included stitching in the wrong place, causing the zip flaps to misalign, and also creases in the material that I was simply unable to iron out - Again, around the zip flap area.

This jacket represents excellent value for money, especially if you can grab one when Amazon have them on offer around the £40 mark.
In terms of fitment, this fits as expected. I'm a medium, and a medium fits fine. If anything, when you remove the inner fleece the outer coat feels more on the large side than medium, so there's plenty of room for layers underneath. I did try a large, but it was simply too big, so my advice would be to order whatever size you would normally wear, and not to order a size up or down.

The fleece feels of a good quality, albeit it's not the thickest of fleeces that I've worn. The Berghaus badges on the fleece are sewn in, and not a transfer. Which takes me onto a negative point to the outer jacket - The Berghaus name and logo are a transfer, and not stitched. I worry about the durability of these transfers, but only time will tell. If the fleece has the logos stitched in, then why not follow suit with the jacket?

The jacket beads water effectively, and has so far kept me dry - I'll update this review should this change in due course.

Here is a summary of a few positive and negative points:

Pro's:
- Jacket fits as expected, and sizes are as described.
- Water resistance is good, with water beading off the jacket effectively.
- Good quality fleece, or at least as good as you can expect from a budget jacket from Berghaus.
- Cuffs can be adjusted to fit even the skinniest of wrists.
- Excellent value for money when purchasing around the £40-£50 mark.

Con's:
- I experienced some quality issues with my first couple of jackets, but I may have just been unlucky. Check the stitching.
- Badges on the outer jacket are transfers, and not stitched.
- Pockets are not lined - It would be nice if Berghaus had included hand warmers in the two main pocket.
- No inner pocket to keep items such as mobile phones safe/dry.

I hope that this review has given you an insight into the jacket, as well as my experiences so far. I'll aim to update this review should my opinions change within the first 12-24 month of ownership.
on 4 June 2014
Had and RG1 for a couple of years, but it is just the basic jacket, used for hillwalking and is smart enough for everyday use.

The basic jacket is warm enough to be used on the Scottish highlands for me - usually go walking between April and September, not one of these snow climbing people - and whilst it isn't the most breathable it's fine.
Keeps you dry in all but a complete torrent and drys quickly after a shower.

After losing a couple of stone over the last year decided time to get a new jacket for walking and spied this at under £60.
All the good points of the already excellent RG1 with the fleece thrown in for free, if you're already looking, stop and buy.
on 24 March 2014
Fantastic...comfortable and waterproof, just what I needed!Could do with a pair of blue waterproof trousers to complete my outdoor gear.
on 30 August 2015
These jackets are class had one of these for years would still wear it but the styling was the only setback, it was the one from high school I'm now 33 hence its now my work around the garden jacket.

But this one is plain and the price is great it should last me a few years and with the reasonable cost I would happily recycle more frequently given the circumstance.
on 6 October 2014
Cheap and great love the fleece it's so warm and the coat when it rains does not let water stick to it . It's honestly worth the money ...The only downfall is there is no peak for the hood on my other berghaus coat the peak keeps rain away from your face but other than that couldn't think of anything bad ..
on 15 November 2015
Delivered two day's after ordering and arrived just in time for a walk in the rain with the dogs. It's nice and warm with the fleece lining and the rain just flows off it. Nice winter coat for the five in the morning starts. I don't know about mountain climbing but it's ideal for what I'll use it for.
on 8 September 2015
Thanks HUKD'ers for pointing me to this when it was on offer at £50, an amazing jacket for this price. Not sure I personally would pay £100 full price for it but there we go. The fleece is easy to remove and lovely on its own in autumn. The outer shell is actually (shock) waterproof so I'm very pleased. Some comments about short arm length are not warranted in my opinion; I didn't find this. I'm 5'11 and shop for a Large normally, this fits perfectly.

See one answered question