Customer reviews

Vapor Trails (Remixed)
Format: Audio CD|Change

VINE VOICEon 14 March 2017
Akin to shining a coloured light on the Mona Lisa it's the same painting just looks altered. What we have here is the same album under a new light. Although far from my favourite Rush album I liked the original VT - dark almost claustrophobic and angry, like the band testing their chains after too long a confinement and finding them not to their liking and the resulting noise expressing that angst. The remix though has brought out many newer aspects and nullified some, it is certainly easier on the old ears but it has meanwhile somewhat tamed that fierce maelstrom. I look at the remix as a good companion to the original mix which I'm afraid I still prefer.
on 18 August 2017
Long time Rush fan, and despite the remix, it's still their weekest album.
on 29 May 2017
Great item
on 12 May 2017
Not a great recording
on 3 November 2013
Brilliant from first to last track, not just a remix a complete refresh of an album I already liked. This is a quality item, each song has parts in it that you just didn't hear on the original. If you're a Rush fan buy it, you'll not be disappointed
on 26 January 2014
I suppose it travelled a long way..I'd more or less given up hope of seeing this after nearly a month from order to delivery...I know we're supposed to allow up to 28 days etc etc but I've never actually waited more than a week or so in my years of Amazonning. So when this little beauty arrived it was like Christmas had come again, in its newly redesigned mini-gatefold style card sleeve looking good and tempting me to rip off the cellophane and stick it in the CD player immediately and without ceremony. What a revelation!....as promised the production is clear and assertive and the murkiness of the original VT album is gone. One Little Victory batters your ears from Neil's thrilling opening blast, as it always has, but there is something fresher and more direct, more visceral and muscular than we have heard previously. I won't go through every song, but one over arching comment is that I actually now feel like I know every song on this reborn masterpiece. Previously,despite having listened to it quite a lot, I would have struggled to identify many of the songs on here if pressed due to a slightly muggy and samey quality, the remixed version has woken up the album and given each track it's powerful identity back. To all intents and purposes, a new Rush album, which is always cause for celebration. Essential!
on 3 November 2013
What more can you say about one of the best bands in the world? Rush are master musicians, great songwriters and their live shows are fantastic!!!
on 24 December 2013
I have had the original 2002 recording for many years, but haven't played it much due to the quality of the mix. I found it very tiring to listen to, and favoured their previous album "Test for Echo", which is a shame because there are some great songs on the cd. So when I heared they'd re-mixed the album for 2013 I simply had to buy it, and it is constantly in one of my cd players. If you're a fan of early Rush records before that synth keyboard sound you will not be disappointed with this.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 13 March 2017
After some troubling times with drummer Neil Peart, Geddy and Alex of Rush pushed forward with their first album in six years, Vapor Trails. This album brought Rush back into the spot light after a long time away but not without some issues.

Fans of Rush from back in the day will remember the hype surrounding the return of the Canadian threesome. The band were creating a lot of noise with news of a tour and an album to boot. The end result was a little under whelming to say the least.

Now, before you go sharpening your pitch forks, there is a good reason for saying such a thing. The original 2002 pressing of Vapor Trails was so badly produced that the album suffered horrific sound problems with heavy compression and sound distortion. It got so bad that a few years ago the band themselves went back and remixed the entire record. The final result being an album that is finally worth having for any Rush fan.

Vapor Trails is a little different stylistically for Rush. The song writing is extremely personal in places and the sound was extremely stripped back and quite gritty in places. The guitars blast loud and heavy with no real blazing guitar solos from Alex Lifeson in sight. An interesting choice if I do say so. Neil's drums are fully acoustic and pack a serious wallop. The biggest change is the lack of keyboard work from bass player and vocalist Geddy Lee. That smooth synthesiser sound is clearly missing leaving the music sounding a lot more harsh and in your face in comparison to previous albums. Vocally, Geddy still sounds like his usual self with the only exception being his voice has clearly lowered. He does hit some high notes every now and again but they are not as natural or consistent as they use to be. His performance is still really strong, just a little different to what we were use to up until this point.

In terms of songwriting, this isn't Rush's best material but the material is not bad, just a little less memorable. Saying that, songs like the brutal opener One Little Victory, the deeply personal Ghost Rider, Vapor Trails and the closing Out of the Cradle are all stand out songs that fans of the band will love.

Looking back on it now, the original release is a truly horrible sounding record. It is a cheap product to pick up these days but I couldn't warn you more. Buy the remix instead and enjoy a finely produced album for what it is. Nothing particularly ground breaking, just a good time with no alcohol required.

Published by Steven Lornie of Demonszone
on 14 November 2013
When I heard that this album was coming out I was delighted. The original mix had left me feeling a little disappointed - the sound too wooly in some ways. The material was strong, it was just let down by a bad mix. This album has corrected the original mix and revealed a truly great Rush album. Clarity runs through the whole album - the instruments and vocals so much brighter. Several tracks stand out - One Little Victory, Vapor Trails and Ghost Rider being the best. The original Vapor Trails was a fine album, this remix is significantly better.