Format: Audio CD|Change

on 9 October 2013
I'm a big Rush fan and was hoping for something special here. In reality you would have to play this and the original back to back to notice anything significant in the remix. Still a good album but a missed opportunity to pull one out of the bag.
on 12 September 2014
Purchased as a gift for a RUSH fan, no complaints so far.
on 11 October 2013
I've just put the CD on for the first time and it sounds like the start of the opening drum beat has been trimmed. I've just checked the mp3 download and the track starts about 6 CD frames in [bear in mind that the mp3 format tops and tails audio tracks with a few extra frames] when you should leave at least 12 CD frames at the start of a track, particularly the opening track on a disc. This means that if you click on "previous track" on your CD player while it's playing you don't hear part of the first drum beat. This is an elementary error and is probably the fault of the mastering room.
I would welcome a response from anyone who can show me how utterly wrong I am in this matter.

As for the music, I can only echo the other reviews I've seen here though I have listened to the original mix more than most of the other reviewers because I enjoyed the sense of irresistible force that the original mix had given to the album.
Four stars, then, because it is a very good album but it would have been five if the album had been mastered by someone who knew what they were doing.

PS I have now checked the CD track and can confirm that there is no silence at all before the first drum beat. It's all there, but there are some of you, depending on how your player operates, who will never hear all of it.

PPS I have now inspected all of the tracks and I can confirm that all of them have been trimmed too tightly at the beginning. They all begin within the first three CD frames so don't listen to the album on shuffle play!
44 comments| One person found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 5 December 2013
First off I am a massive Rush fan. Vapor Trails is one of my favourite Rush albums. It is, unlike the other albums of this particular era, raw. Rush are a very technical band with technical fans. Vapor trails is raw, energetic, almost 'live' in its sound, this is it's beauty in the Rush canon. If you're a Rush fan you know the context in which this album was born and the original reflected that raw emotion. This remix is not emotion it is the 'mind' of a technician hearing flaws. Avoid it if you care for feelings, buy it if you like everything clean and neat.
Sometimes a bit of chaos is a good thing. If Rush want to tamper with their albums I would suggest beefing up Presto which is like a skeleton compared to the live versions.
on 10 October 2013
My Previous review of original was that it was a good album but so intense almost musically unlistenable.
This time round a far better album bringing the album to life with clarity in all areas.
A great Rush Album that was originally made under difficult circumstances so respect to band going back to this take the pride in their work to do it justice.
Great Album-Great Band
on 10 October 2013
I enjoyed this CD, I know that remixing sometimes upsets the purists but as with most things change alters the dynamic. I think that if a band wants to alter, clean or enhance their work then as long as they are explicit about it its ok? I really like the classic 'Rush' track 'Earthshine' I can listen and listen to this for ages. This is a good Rush album not their best but I am biased towards their earlier work.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 28 January 2014
Great re-working - it was like listening to a whole new album. Well worthwhile getting for that experience alone. Thanks
on 22 March 2015
I have been wanting to listen to this album for years but the original recording sounded horrible. Now the veil has been lifted and all is well at last.
on 7 April 2015
Personally, I don't think this was their best album but nonetheless a couple of memorable numbers. Good price and excellent delivery time.
on 25 October 2014
A much grittier sound which really does improve the quality of the songs. I prefer this over the original release.