on 26 December 2014
These will work at the level of attention paid to the antennae and timing of the data, these will work with the RFSwitch library for the Arduino and RaspberryPi with any old piece of wire, to use for communications look at a wiki on AM RF Aerials (17cm enamelled wire from an old Inductor to make a Spiral Square loop Transmitter, 30cm enamelled wire coiled round an empty piece of Ballpoint pen for receiver), the antennae are directional in the sense that the best Tx or Rx power will be got from 90 degrees to the plane of the coil. Read the Playground pages on serial comms and the RF Library for advice on timing of data packets........

For the Price they are a MUST have for any Maker Tinkerer...........
review image
23 people found this helpful
on 6 April 2017
I ordered 2 of these RX/TX pairs. I only actually wanted the transmitters, as the receivers are known not to be very good (buy a superheterodyne one instead). Anyway ... out of the two transmitters delivered, one was missing a 56K resistor (shown in the pic) and the other seems to have a dry joint on the transistor (shown on the left in the pic). This makes one useless all the time, and the other mostly useless unless I flex the board to make the contact. I've managed to fix one of the boards by replacing the missing surface mount resistor with a through hole version, but even so, not good, even considering the cheap price.
review image
3 people found this helpful
on 31 December 2016
These are (at the time of writing) very cheap and a quick way of transmitting to Arduino boards (although you don't need to use microcontrollers). I would recommend soldering on aerials though as it only transmits over a very short distance and uses ASK for modulation so I would also recommend using programs which encapsulates the data in a header with a CRC to make sure it's transmitted correctly. The transmitter and receiver are controlled by just one pin. Very easy to use.
on 15 September 2017
Got this pair, so I could get my Pi to transmit home automation signals. You do need to write the software yourself, the transmitter is simply an on/off signal that is control from the Pi's GPIO pins.
on 2 November 2015
You cant really go wrong for this price and it is so easy to use.

I used mine with an arduino uno and had it set up within 5 minutes. For the receiver it was just 3 connections and a download of a library (google code rc-switch). That gave me codes that the transmitter for an existing remote control was sending.

Another 5 minutes later I had swapped to the transmitter module and the arduino was taking the place of a remote control.

So simple and so quick.

I havent tested the maximum range but it it does consistently work from a distance of 6m (open area). I used the standard 5v provided by the arduino, howver the transmitter can work up to 12v. With a few extra components it could be driven at this voltage.
on 12 March 2015
Took ages to arrive 5-6 weeks. Didn't realise they were going to ship from China.
However they worked brilliantly. I used the receiver to determine the frequency of remote controlled power sockets and then programmed my Arduino to transmit those frequencies to switch mains devices on and off.
A much better solution to hard wiring devices into a relay.
Some people mentioned the range was weak and had to solder aerials to them, but mine worked from one end of the house to the other as they were.
Fantastic piece of kit when combined with remote control power sockets.
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 13 May 2014
Good value and very useful for remote control projects using mains radio sockets. Had no problem using it with the RCSwitch Library
for the arduino. Receiver picked up codes no problem, which I then could use for transmitter.Essential to add an aerial to each unit however so can't use it straight out of the packet.
3 people found this helpful
on 1 March 2016
handy for communicating between Arduino boards in places where running a cable is difficult. I found the range isn't that great but by increasing the voltage on the transmitter I could reliably transmit about 25m and through a couple of walls.
on 22 December 2016
The receiver was defective but at this price I was surprised to actually get the components!
It's the challenges and the fun in the hours of learning that counts!
I have purchased lots of components from this supplier and this is the first to be defective.
on 8 October 2017
Bought on behalf of my father. He informs me they were perfect.