Customer reviews

The House on Persimmon Road
Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£2.10

on 22 July 2017
I loved this story. It's a wonderful book with a start, a middle and a happy ending. I thoroughly enjoyed it.
on 28 September 2015
What a really good book.I loved it ! Imagine inheriting your mother in law after your husband divorces you and your kids and becomes a monk ! The ghost Lottie was brilliant and I felt I could imagine being in the South .
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 14 August 2013
The House on Persimmon Road. Jackie Weger

ARC supplied by author.

The fourth I've read from Jackie and another fabulous romance. A great stand alone novel, as are all the ones I've currently read from her. After the endless romances where readers have to wait months/years for a conclusion, getting left with those awful, horrible, hated cliffhangers it's such a treat to read a good story, and feel satisfied at the ending, instead of incredibly frustrated. I do like many of the current duo/trilogies but feel they are beginning to dominate the romance genre and that's a shame.
Anyway, this book we meet mum Justine and her family, mum and mum in law and the two children, Lottie, a ghost haunting the house they're leasing, and sexy neighbour tucker and his dad. Jackie's characters are always so well described I feel I know them. Justine, in her thirties (hurrah - another older lady, its not just teens that look for romance) is trying to have a new start after her husband divorced her to become a monk! Money is tight, the kids are unsettled by the changes to their lives, and she has mum and mum-in-law to deal with too. They bicker worse than the kids. Then there's sexy neighbour Tucker also in his thirties, his dad is another great character, and after an accident involving fire he lives in a home during the week, and with Tucker on weekends. Its a typical family mix that could be found on many streets, and a change from the perpetual millionaires/innocent young ladies, bad boy MMAs and high school/college romances that seem to be controlling the genre at the moment. There's a place for them of course, and I've read some cracking ones, but many of us want people we can personally identify with.
I felt for Justine, she was so caring even with the bickering older ladies, and trying to do her best for everybody. I think what she wanted for herself was getting lost in the needs of all the other people depending on her. Tucker was just perfect, typical (in my imagination anyway ) southern gentleman, he was attracted to her right from the start, but didn't want to involve himself with a ready made family, especially ones so full of drama. Yet somehow without him realising they all wormed their way into his heart and home. He then had the tough job of convincing Justine she could rely on him, that he'd be a help and support to her, not just abandon her like her husband did. That he wanted more than just sex from her, he wanted to be part of the family, to love her and be loved if only she could let herself go and let him in.
There's a one step forward two steps back feel about their romance, its hot and sensual but not graphically, its the magic way with words that authors such as Jackie have that create heat and eroticism without needing to be graphic in every scene. Oh - and heart shaped ones? They made me wonder how they worked too!!
Once again a real romance, a story to get engrossed in and feel you're there , over -looking the people, laughing (and I did - lots) and crying with them. A great mix of people and emotions to make a perfect romance once again.
Stars: yes - five of course :)
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 8 November 2013
The House on Persimmon Road by Jackie Weger
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Jackie Weger asked me if I would like to read and review this. And I jumped at the chance as I've seen lots of good things said about this author.
I was not disappointed at all. I can't wait to read more of her books!

I read a lot of books [as most reviewers do in a year] and this one stands out to me for the excellent talent that Jacke Weger has in writing. She is definitely in a class of best selling authors in my humble opinion. She writes fluently, understandably, makes it flow with pitch and power. I loved the little thoughts of things that bring a smile to a readers face, which it did me.

A husband who has left his wife for another woman, yep, hear about that all the time, affairs, yep, hear of that all the time, even a husband who leaves for another man! yep, heard of that, a husband who wants "space" and leaves the family home, yep, heard of that, but to leave to become a monk! Yep I can understand that, not something you hear of every day but very plausable and how the wife and children deal with it is amazing. She has her MIL and her own Mother with her, what fun that leads to, many a time I laughed, and sometimes I cried, this story is so good. I can't tell you anymore than this as it would spoil it for you. I loved the eerie presence, just loved it.

I can't rave about this book and this authors style of writing enough, I hope I get to read more of her books.
on 27 July 2014
I would've been happy to pay for this story so compelling as it was. I found it a really easy read and there was nothing that I didn't like about it. I'm just sorry it had to end. I enjoyed the plot and liked the characters (with the exception of Lottie) who were so believable! I found the two grannies hilarious and then Tucker too when he came along. Justine moves to a new home in Alabama, along with her two young children, her mother and her ex mother-in-law, who are both widowed. She wishes to begin a new life following her (ex) husband leaving her and his family to become a monk. Lottie. I fell in love with her ( I would love a Lottie of my own!) Lottie is betwixt and between due to her skeleton having never been found. This story has everything. Hope, dreams, friendship, humour, and romance. I highly recommend it. I loved the ending and felt that Justine truly deserved some happiness. I look forward to reading more from this author.
on 3 December 2014
I don’t know why I feel so surprised upon reading this book. I should have known that an amazing writer like Jackie Weger would be the only one capable to write a ghost story that is about anything but the ghost! If I were to tell you that this is a tale about a family moving in a haunted house, you’d imagine chain dragging, spooky sightings and goosebumps, wouldn’t you now? And yet, this is a tender family tale that will have you laughing with the kind of humor you’d only expect from watching The Golden Girls!

Justine has recently been forced to become the head of her family. Her husband has selfishly abandoned her and their two small children to become a monk in some remote, exotic isle. Plagued by financial trouble, Justine decides to start a new life and moves into an old house in a rural location. As well as her two children, she brings along her mother and strangely enough, her mother-in-law too. The two elderly women are not the best of friends, making derisive and critical remarks about each other all day, while the children have their issues and insecurities too. In their midst of it all, Justine is wounded, uncertain and insecure, but somehow manages to play the role of referee and coordinator for them all. When love knocks gently on her door in the shape of her kindly neighbor Tucker Highsmith, Justine is irrevocably proven unsure on her feet, teetering between offending and flirting with this man who is severely drawn to her and has the gall to tell her so from the word go.

Jackie Weger has managed the impossible with Tucker; she’s had me fancying a man with facial hair. But that man is irresistible. Other than the fact that he’s incredibly confident, straightforward and honest, hating mind games—the way every woman wishes a man to be—he also has an affinity for cooking and aspires to writing a cookery book. I mean, how adorable is that?

Lottie is the resident ghost, and although the book is anything but a ghost story, she fits well in the mix, having her chance at interacting with Justine and her family in a delightful, ingenious way that the reader certainly won’t expect.

All in all, this is a delightful read, full of opportunities for laughter, chuckles and the inevitable sigh brought on by romantic, soppy lines. It will equally please the avid readers of humor, romance, family tales and ghost stories too. I will also say that I’ve read dozens of indie books and this is the only one I’ve read so far where I’ve found zero typos both in terms of spelling and punctuation. Well done, Jackie Weger!

Highly recommended!
on 22 October 2013
This book didn't let me down. It had all the ingredients needed for a thrilling romance.
The characters were memorable and gave me many laughs. The romance, well we all knew where it was heading, but it was a lovely journey to get there.
The best thing about this story was the author didn't let the supernatural element run away with the plot. It was... or should that be she was... always in the background and it wasn't until the end that the ghost played a huge part.
It was an delightful, easy read and I'd recommend this book if anyone is looking for a light romance.
on 30 September 2015
Is this a ghost story? Is it not a ghost story? Well, a bit of both. Justine moves into an old house after her husband leaves her to become a Buddhist monk. With her are her two young children, her mother and her mother in law, neither of whom are easy women to live with.
Luckily (and otherwise there wouldn't be a story!) there is a gorgeous hunk of a man living next door (I wish I had a neighbour like him).
The story of Lottie - the ghost? - unfolds slowly.
I am glad to say that there is a happy ending for everyone.
on 1 October 2015
I have to be honest and say that I only bought this eBook because it was free - it's not my usual reading category but I read it last night as I was awake with heartburn! The storyline was very imaginative, and the potential was there to do a lot with it. Sadly, Ms Weger didn't pull it off. There were too many loose ends and missed opportunities to explain things better for my liking and the characters didn't capture my empathy at all. An OK read and I'm sure lots of readers will disagree but that's my opinion.
on 28 September 2015
I put ‘The house on Persimmon Road’ in second place to my all time favourite ghost story, Charles Dickens’s ‘The Christmas Carol’ - the one about the haunting of Ebenezer Scrooge. You know the one I mean of course. Yet ‘The House on Persimmon Road’ has so many twists and turns, is also a page turner and has such a great ending, I really couldn't praise it enough. So don’t hesitate to get it for I'm sure you’ll like it too.