Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change

Throughout a recording career of 25 years that has yielded fifteen studio albums and twenty five country number ones, Alan Jackson has always maintained a commitment to his neo tradionalist values and has resisted the lure of country pop that so many of his contemporaries have embraced.

So it is not surprising that he has recorded an album of bluegrass which is probably the most traditional of all country music forms recalling the influences of old time music and string bands upon the genre.

This is an album suffused with the essential ingredients of bluegrass - banjo, mandolin, dobro, bass, fiddle and acoustic guitar - but an album where Jackson has resisted the tradition of using his upper register to sing "high and lonesome". This gives the collection a warmer, richer sound than one might expect of a traditional bluegrass album. Nevertheless, it is undeniable that he sounds as though he was born to sing bluegrass.

Eight of the fifteen songs have come straight from Jackson's pen and another surprise is just how authentic they sound and as though they have been part of the bluegrass canon for ever. "Blue Ridge Mountain Song", "Appalachian Mountain Girl", "Mary" and "Blue Side Of Heaven" sound like bluegrass standards already.

There are seven covers including a cracking version of The Dillard's "There Is A Time" and the classic "Blue Moon Of Kentucky" by the father of bluegrass, Bill Monroe.

This is the sound of a man completely at ease with the music, whether writing it or playing it, and supported by a crack team of bluegrass session men. There is much to appreciate here either as an Alan Jackson fan or a bluegrass aficionado.
on 9 November 2013
great for in the car
on 20 May 2014
My buddy Charlie Ogburn knows I love bluegrass and he sent me this and I am ever so grateful he did. Behind every modern C&W star lies either a frustrated lounge singer or a frustrated bluegrass fan and Alan is in the latter category.

This is not the 1946 Bill Monroe band at its peak, no, but it is a fine, fine introduction to those straight country fans who wish to know where their music came from and are a might tired of all the electricity and who, like so many of us nowadays, thrill in the sound and seemingly inherent authenticity of acoustic mountain music.

With many name pickers on board Mr. Jackson comes up with some fine story songs and the world is, for about fifty minutes, a much better place. C'mon, make the leap, listen to some real music for once. These folks can flat-out PLAY!
Alan jackson's has one of those voices that is isntantly recognisable. It is distinctively warm and smooth,;not the usual vocie asociated with the high lonesome sound of bluegrass. What he does in this album is bring a 'country' voice' to bluegrass or bluegrass to country. The backing musicians are simply excellent. Guitars, banjos and fiddles played to a very high standard. he sings the way he usually sings. The bluegrass instrumentation adds a vibrancy and an energy to the Alan Jackson sound. It sounds great. There are plenty of very good original songs mixed in with a few covers. I could have done without another version of Blue Moon of kentucky as none come close to the origianl by Bill Monroe but it is fine. Some of the songs are superb and all are at least good. The bluegrass purists will probably deride this album because of the warmth of Alan jackson's voice and not the usual high lonesome sound but he makes the bluegrass music more accessible to those that find bluegrass harsh. Modern accoustic bluegrass country, call it what you like, it is very good. If you like Alan jackson, I think you will enjoy this. if you like modern bluegrass I think you will enjoy it. In fact if you enjoy just good music, I think you will enjoy it. A very worthy addition to the Jackson catalogue and a bit different at the same time. Highly enjoyable and highly recommnded.
on 22 October 2013
I think this the first Alan Jackson bluegrass album he has done but my word why hasn't he done one before . This is excellent I don't he ever releases a bad album but this one 5 stars . Don't think about buying it just do it you won't be disappointed .
on 16 April 2015
This CD was a gift for my parents. They are collectors of country and Western music and they especially love the music of Alan Jackson. It is not one of their favourite A.Jackson albums but as they said to me if you are a fan, this cd is a must for your collection. I personally have only flicked through the album and although I enjoyed thirty miles west album it was not for me. I have rated it 5 stars on the recommendation of both my Mum and Dad whom love Bluegrass music.
on 30 January 2014
I'm an Alan Jackson fan and I'm a follower of Bluegrass but this album disappoints. Songs are boring and repetitive.
Ever since Alan's collaboration with Alison Krauss on 'Like Red On A Rose' (his best) the quality of his albums has slid. He's past his best. I won't be playing this album much.
on 6 January 2014
There are some good new songs on here and as usual Alan Jackson provides us with an album worth buying, I am an Alan Jackson fan and also love bluegrass music, however, in my opinion his voice is not really suited to bluegrass music but still well worth a listen.
on 9 January 2014
I have almost all of Alan's albums,for me he can do no wrong.He hasn't made a bad record.
This album contains a mixture of up tempo numbers and ballads in his imitable style.
If you like C&W Music I think that you will love this, I know I do.
on 12 December 2013
A THOROUGHLY GREAT CD BY ALAN JACKSON BUT WOULD WE EXPECT ANYTHING ELSE. GREAT FROM START TO FINISH AND LEFT ME WANTING MORE.