• Verdi
  • Customer reviews

on 30 November 2014
Placi sings baritone arias well
on 3 April 2015
Was a little disappointed but it was great to hear done go as a baraton
on 31 October 2013
I bought this for my parents, as they love classical music, and Verdi in particular. They were very pleased with it, they liked the pieces selected for the CD, and thought Placido Domingo's voice sounded wonderful.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 20 October 2013
. . . but, let's face it, not great either. I can easily believe that, on the stage, with his well-developed histrionic gifts, Domingo can still be effective in the Verdi baritone roles, for the voice has still some warmth and beauty, but it has lost its distinctiveness and, under pressure, some of its firmness too. Perhaps it is remarkable singing for a man of 70+, but if we measure him against Cappuccilli or Bruson or Gobbi in their primes, then the limitations are apparent and the microphone is pretty merciless. The one unqualified success here, to my ears, is "Di Provenza il mar" -- beautifully voiced, and sung with an attention to dynamics that seems absent from the other selections, where the voice comes at you at never less than a pleasant mezzo-forte. I expected more particularly from the "Boccanegra" scene, but it's messy here, and the balancing doesn't help. Also, in general, too often the orchestra seems too recessed and the voice a bit too forward. It's far from a total disaster, but honestly, this program doesn't merit a CD to itself. Domingo was a wonderful tenor, and he has preserved his voice admirably, but this one is a bit sad.
8 people found this helpful
on 16 October 2013
Cracking album. Great addition to my CD collection. Fascinating to hear Domingo doing justice to Arias in a lower voice-register. Excellent all round.
on 29 September 2013
I have recently seen and heard Mr Domingo sing the lead, baritone, role in Verdi's Nabucco. It was a tremendous performance and, quite naturally I wanted to continue the experience of hearing one of the world's leading tenors sing the best of the baritone repertoire - it's a beautiful sound and one I shall never tire of hearing - more, please.
on 10 September 2013
Domingo, whether singing tenor or baritone, is one of the greats - certainly, in my view, the best we currently have on the opera scene.
on 7 October 2013
I bought this CD after hearing it reviewed on Classic FM. Whilst I don't like all the tracks equally, this is a CD which demonstrates Domingo's massive talent and highlights the singer's change of range.
on 12 October 2013
The smoothest of tenors sings Verdi - what is there not too like?? Now in my top ten choices on iPad!
on 19 September 2013
The intense selling hype in the media misled me into buying it I love classical music but not this one