Customer reviews

Format: Vinyl|Change

on 5 May 2017
Aphex Twin Aphex Twin Aphex Twin Aphex Twin Aphex Twin Aphex Twin Aphex Twin Aphex Twin.
This is one for the record books. classic
on 15 December 2013
Richard does what Richard does best: he makes music you know could not have come from anyone else. Some tracks show their age in terms of technology, but they will always have a resurgence when the nostalgia value blows the dust off again. Otherwise RDJ shows himself as the genius composer he is.
on 22 August 2017
Excellent
on 27 March 2017
An absolute classic album
on 19 July 2017
Great record!
But the cover was a little damaged in each corner :(
on 4 September 2013
I couldn't believe my luck when I saw this on Amazon. The option to Pre-Order a brand new repress of Selected Ambient works 85-92! This is one of Aphex Twin's most acclaimed albums and it is a brilliant vinyl to collect while you have the chance. It is a MUST HAVE for any Aphex Twin fan. The songs feature a range of beautiful analogue/synth sounds that are both relaxing and at times exciting. The high quality standard of the tracks continues throughout, as some people disagree with when talking about Selected Ambient Works Volume 2. My personal favourites on this album include Xtal, Heliosphan and Green Calx. It is brilliant that this has been repressed and makes me ask, will Aphex Twin come out of his shell again soon and release more of his eagerly awaited albums? Some sources suggest he has 6-10 albums ready to release but this cannot be for sure. If you want to get more vinyls of his, be sure to get "Richard D. James" and "...I care because you do". Maybe even give Windowlicker and Come to daddy a try while they are on Amazon at a reasonable price!

If I had to criticise anything about the product I'd say that the packaging material is a LITTLE flimsy. However the original artwork makes up for it :)
77 Comments| 9 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 23 September 2013
A great classic and very good vinyl reissue. I got it at work and the colleagues got puzzled asking me why the vinyl had the same logo they saw for years on my t-shirt ;)
on 17 January 2011
I first came across Selected Ambient Works when rooting through a box of random tapes I found under the bed in my first student houseshare. It was a grim October and I was living in a house on the cliffs of Rottingdean near Brighton, miles from campus and my friends, and I was feeling rather lonely. When I played this album, it was like my mind was being hugged and bought a pint.
From the opening synths and gentle boom of Xtal, Ambient Works is a cosy duvet on a bleak February morning, a Mars Bar after swimming, a snow-covered hill on a sunny day - full of soothing melodies and quiet spaces.
Now, 13 years later, I still put it on when I can't sleep, or when I feel cold or sad, and it greets me like an old friend. I played the tape til it broke and had to buy the CD. I was very much a rock fan when I came across this album, but it introduced me to a side of electronica I hadn't previously been aware of - the after-party, the come down, the morning after, the walk in the park with your headphones on.
Apparently it was massively influential and I suppose that is one reason for picking up this piece of history. But a far greater reason is the timeless beauty of the music. Buy it, love it forever.
77 Comments| 79 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 23 December 2015
ONE OF MY MUSICAL HEROS Having started loving music when I was about 5 i quickly grew to appreciate many things. I left school hit the rave era in 89 and was obsessed with beat based music. It wasn't until years later that I discovered Aphex Twin and I have learned to truly appreciate this guy. Thinking that many of his works were way back before I used to go partying it has given me a deeper appreciation still for him. Not only that but, being a person who loves chilled music and chilled music that is trippy and twisted this was perfect for me. This shows a true artist who understands the moody and moving sounds of electronic music presented in an intelligent way for those after hours sessions. Let me tell you I have had many of those and only wishI had this cd back then. But, really you will learn of a remarkable producer who has gone on to create many amazing tracks and albums and who (for me) is up there with my favourite DJs and Producers. This is a must but if you understand and appreciate electronic ambient chillout at its finest.
on 12 November 2014
Ambient Bliss. I have so many collections of chillout and a great deal of them all sound of a similar style of course there are wonderful underground works and this is one of them. This cannot fail to inspire you of a time gone by where the raw use of certain production sounds haunted our ears and souls. Personally, I love this cd after a heavy night of dancing and when we get back we slip this on and travel to another place somewhere in the galaxy. It can take you anywhere you want to go. Who needs a fooking time machine? You have a space machine here.