Format: Vinyl|Change

on 12 November 2014
Ambient Bliss. I have so many collections of chillout and a great deal of them all sound of a similar style of course there are wonderful underground works and this is one of them. This cannot fail to inspire you of a time gone by where the raw use of certain production sounds haunted our ears and souls. Personally, I love this cd after a heavy night of dancing and when we get back we slip this on and travel to another place somewhere in the galaxy. It can take you anywhere you want to go. Who needs a fooking time machine? You have a space machine here.
on 16 November 1999
I first got this back in 1993, and i STILL play it - somehow, the Aphex Twin's brand of electronic music, especially on this album, has aquired an almost timeless quality. Everything on this album is excellent -Xtal, We are the music makers, Tha - on and on.... Buy it! You wont regret it.
on 19 February 2011
There are far more eloquent reviews here, but suffice it to say that this is one of the few albums that genuinely deserves to be classified as a classic. An essential purchase, in my opinion. Richard D James is a genius.
on 19 April 2012
20 years ago i bought this album and it blew me away; today i find it just as stunning. Quality like this never ages, never diminishes in relevance, never fails to move the listener. If i had to choose one disc over all others then this is it. Beautiful, deceptively simple, perfect in every way.
on 11 July 2008
one of the best albums I've ever bought. Don't know what else to say, Xtal, Ageispolis and Actium are amazing, no downsides to this album so what are you waiting for? Buy it now!
on 12 August 2002
...a great record in every way. I think in many ways this offering is superior to vol II, though the two records deffinitely take a different tone, this being being the light, perhaps, to the dark and menacing vol II. From the opening You are treated to lush soundscapes with uplifting synth stabs littered here and there, the album is much easier on the ear than some of warps other output, and should appeal to both people already initiated with the warp 'sound', and those who prefer are coming from the point of view of other ambient work, however as with much of the Richard James' work this is an electronic album, unlike many other ambient artists, who tend to mix electronica with acoustic and orchestral sounds, not that this is necessarily a bad thing. Also this album despite it's age has held up well (probably due to the aphex twin being well ahead of his time) and in short if your reading this, you should be moving rapidly towards the 'Buy' button, as this is one purchase you are almost guaranteed to be satisfied with.
on 12 September 2006
Was given the double vinyl as a christmas present from my brothers in law back in 1995(ish)- how cool is that. Blew my mind at the time, and I have never ever tired of it. I have bought everything Mr Twin has done since then, and nothing really comes close as a complete work - all his later stuff is imho a bit patchy, but then again, I reckon the boy Richard is a bit evil, I mean, some of his stuff is insanely unlistenable, while he is perfectly capable of creating serene moments of beauty.

The bottom line is that if you like echo-ey squelchy synth sounds with laid back groovey beats you will love this. There are a few monsters of dark fieceness on here, but his finest ambient trance pieces make it an essential buy.

Go for it, you know you want to.
on 3 September 2006
Classic means that it doesn't lose marks for being old, or for poor production quality. This album has 13 of the most carefully crafted music tracks I've ever heard to exist in the same album. As the title suggests, it's ambient work - and so is best listened to with your whole attention as it absorbs you into the intricacies. 5 stars can't even suggest what a special album this is.
on 9 July 2006
This album is so pure that it has a surreal and emotional effect when listened to. I cannot fault it and have listened to much electronic music and many other albums by aphex twin, non of which compare.
on 11 December 2014
I first heard some of Aphex Twin's work on a late night programme on Radio 3 but it took a while for the penny to drop ...

This CD was my rather belated way into the "IDM" and dance music scene in 1994 and the start of several years of dancing myself super-fit to "repetitive beats" at a handful of local venues.
Presumably a baker's dozen separately conceived tracks, but like several other of my "Desert Island Discs", I hear it as a coherent whole.

I mislaid the first copy, so have bought at least two and it's on several MP3 players and my work PC and with luck I will still be appreciating its uniqueness for decades to come.