Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£7.99

on 3 September 2013
I loved the first WL album and having seen their brilliant support slot for Muse at Wembley I was a little disappointed with the last album. It wasn't a bad album by any means but didn't quite have the hooks ever-present on To Lose My Life. However this album represents a return to the song-writing quality of the first album and the songs feel less forced than on Ritual. Hopefully WL will be around for some time to come as there a very few bands around at present writing songs of such stadium-filling quality and with three very good albums in their canon they should have built up the sort of fan-base they deserve.
on 14 December 2013
I really enjoyed the epic gloominess of White Lies first 2 albums and this third is very much in the same vein, although a little less gloomy, a little less epic and overall their weakest album so far in my opinion.

After eagerly awaiting the release of Big TV and giving it a first listen I found myself quite enjoying the first track and spending the rest of the album waiting for another to top it, right up until the end where I was left feeling confused and disappointed.

I avoided writing off the album before giving it some time to sink in. However on repeated listening; whilst there are a few tracks I dig, particularly the title track Big TV and Mother Tongue, a lot of the rest of the album continues to become non-distinct background music as I try to re-listen to it.

One of the tracks I also actively dislike. "First Time Caller" is an irritating mellowed out pop song, complete with catchy-in-a-bad-way lyrics that overuse well worn expressions like it's a Katy Perry single.

So definitely not love-at-first-listen and not much of a grower either, but still better than "a poke in the eye with a sharp stick" - hopefully not an upcoming track from White Lies 4th album.
on 30 September 2013
I was worried that White Lies had reached a plateau after their slightly flat second album, but I need not have been. This is yet another step forward, with not a weak track in sight. The more I play it the more impressive it gets. For me it is the best album of 2013 so far (though it will probably also be nominated for "Worst album cover of the year").
VINE VOICEon 25 October 2013
How these guys have matured! I have their previous albums and they are good but this is just a huge step upwards. I wasn't expecting it to be as good as it was, I know that may sound harsh but its more a reflection of the quality on this album.

What is most noticeable is the growth in maturity of the lyrics, they are at a new level and its good again to see such thought being put into meaninful lyrics in an age of 'oooohhhhhs', 'aaaahhhhhhs' and constant wailing.

They also have let go of some of their more 'outwardly miserable' features. I don't mean this in a bad way. But if you look at some of the titles of their songs on their previous albums and compare them to this, you will see what I mean. Thats not to say they have become all happy clappy. No, but they are putting across their message in a much more grown up way.

It starts off with 'Big TV', a great song, not the best on here in my view but very close and probably the best way to get things going.

'First Time Caller' is a really good pop song where the lyrics fit perfectly and you will find yourself singing along, despite your best efforts!

My favourite track is 'Mother Tongue', the guitars, drums and everything just chime together to form such a great song and one I play often.

Thus far, this is my standout album of the year. There maybe a better one to come, but I doubt it. For consistency, quality and a 'proper' pop/rock album to be able to listen to anywhere, this stands head and shoulders above the rest.

The deluxe version is fantastic by the way, a great book with great notes by the band.
on 15 November 2014
This album was initially something I could take or leave. Compared to their first album I'd have to be honest and say I found it a little underwhelming so on the shelf it went..
Fast-forward 6 months and I fancied something new in the car and decided to give this another go. I'm so glad I did, this album is the quintessential 'grower', the more I've played it the more I've grown to love it to the extent that, now, it's never out of the car stereo for long. Favourite tracks are Big TV, There Goes My Love again, Mother Tongue and Getting Even.

Probably my most played CD over the last 12 months and I listen to a lot of music.
on 12 August 2013
'BIG TV' is the third studio album by indie-Rock band White Lies.

'BIG TV' follows the story of two young lovers as they make an aspirational move to a big city. Whilst this consistently strong album could be their best record yet, there remains nothing particularly different about 'BIG TV' - if anything it may flirt with the more melodious side but it is unquestionably White Lies.

You can hear the collective sigh of relief on the opening track 'Big TV' that towers above the rest of the album - taking nothing away from the balance of the record, this epic title track reaches heights that none of the other tracks quite approach; this is perhaps made even sweeter following the resounding failure of a rival post-punk revivalists recent love-infused offering. Singles 'There Goes Our Love Again' and 'Getting Even' are equally epic and although the album is filled up with a couple of needless 'space' interludes the majority of the record oozes class. There is a direct simplicity to this album that remains simultaneously epic and harmonious. Harry McVeigh's baritone voice cascades high above.

This will not disappoint their followers. Comparisons to Echo & The Bunnymen,Joy Division and Interpol pleasingly persist.

Listen to: 'Big TV', 'Be Your Man', 'Goldmine'
on 8 April 2014
ths is one of my favourite albums ever. White Lies albums keep getting better with every new one. similar style to the two previous albums, but they have evolved to have more going on in the songs, many layers of musical styles and arrangement.
on 19 May 2014
If you haven't listened to the White Lies before....I urge you to do it. Don't be expecting bouncy, tear-up-the-place type of music, because you won't get it. They make songs, songs with great lyrics. They've got some absolute belting tunes on this album as well, to follow on from their other two crackers. This is a bit more uplifting than the second, and maybe a bit more poppy. It works though. Getting Even, Big TV and Mother Tongue are, in my opinion, classics. Buy it and bloody well listen to it...okay!!?
on 16 September 2013
I got into White Lies extremely quickly after hearing 'Farewell To The Fairground' and the first album is just supreme, unfortunately 'Ritual' dipped a little bit, but the new album is extremely atmospheric especially 'There Goes Our Love Again' with the beautiful synth strings, it really is a complete album and the song 'First Time Caller' is arguably one of the best songs they have ever written. I couldn't give this album anything less than 5*
on 26 September 2013
What an album!!! Loved the first album and have been smitten ever since. However, I was disappointed with Ritual, the second album, and there was some trepidation in buying this one thinking they were gonna be another fantastic one album wonder, but boy oh boy this album just grows & grows on you with every listen. This is already in my Top Ten albums of all time and I'm 43 with hundreds of albums!! Buy it!