I have pondered five stars or four stars. I have listened often to this CD. I have passed through 'This is not right', to 'Is this right?' to 'This is right!' It certainly is one of the quickest performances of this work. It is not ponderous in any way. It is fleet-footed, nimble, lively and exciting. The MDR Leipzig Radio Choir are on familiar territory and acquit themselves very well. The sopranos certainly have some lovely moments and there is excellent work among the tenors in their leads. Stephen Genz(baritone) does good work in the 3rd and 6th sections and Anna Lucia Richter (soprano) has astonishingly lovely tone in her singing of ' And ye now therefore have sorrow.' One of the tremendous advantages of the pace of this performance is that the lines and sense are preserved and the structure can be taken in. Moments in the initial and final sections can be referred to each other. To my mind, this very human kind of a requiem is what Brahms may have had in mind rather than somewhat weightier 'church type' pronouncements. One thing- I find myself singing over and meditating on the second section 'For all flesh is as grass.' Brahms wrote a fine work.
on 24 May 2014
Marin Alsop opines that the German Requiem is not a dirge, and creates a lively and enjoyable interpretation.

The recording level on this production is unusually low, so that one has to turn the volume up quite a lot to hear it. Unfortunately, the sound quality is very poor, sounding extremely muffled. It is just about tolerable when played over loudspeakers, but over headphones the technical problems really get in the way.

This is the first time I have bought a recording from Naxos, and I think it will be the last too. Not to be recommended.
on 28 January 2016
It starts off a little slow with full vocal effort but moves into a bit of percussion where Brahms (and Alsop) really sell it. (Excuse me if that's a bad word, used to be a rock fan). Anyway, it's a lovely piece of music with excellent choral singing and you can tell the singers really want you to enjoy it.
on 25 October 2013
I like Marin Allsop [and have been conducted by her]. Musically this is a good interpretation. But unfortunately it is a very poor recording. I don't know the technical terms - it just seems very distant and I have to have the volume turned very high which just seems to make it flat. Not a good buy!
on 12 September 2014
Inspiring music. Brahms made a wonderful selection from the bible to set to music. He must be a believer in god
on 14 November 2014
Excellent clear recording. Marin Alsop superb. CD arrived swiftly through the post . N o complaints.
on 7 August 2013
A superb performance of this Requiem - I loved it. It was also a very good price for such a new recording.
on 10 January 2016
Beautiful love Marine Alsop take on Brahms
on 9 October 2013
Brilliantly conducted by Marin Alsop. This is a magnificent recording. I have played it repeatedly..I have already recommended it to a number of friends.
on 12 September 2014