on 28 September 2013
It might seem a bit strange for me to say that this album contains some of the best guitar playing I have EVER heard, yet I have only given it 3 stars.

Having grown up listening to Duane, Dickey, Lowell George, Bonnie Raitt and persons of that ilk I am ready to concede that Derek Trucks is among the all-time greats. He "carries the torch" so to speak and it's probable that the best of his career is still in front of him. Some of the guitar breaks on this album are astonishing.

But then this isn't a Derek trucks album, it's a Tedeschi/Trucks album and here the difficulty lies. I respect Trucks too much to say anything negative at this point but what I WILL say, is that these are HUGE songs, and really need a singer with the projection and soul of an Otis Redding, Janis Joplin, or Joe Cocker. It would take a really great singer to "put these songs across".

Unfortunately what we have here is a very "straight" "middle of the road" type of Americana album. Hardly surprising, I suppose. But I guarantee that you will tire of this album very quickly.
on 6 September 2014
The Tedeschi Trucks band was merely a name to me, often cited favourable in reviews, prior to hearing them preform live this summer. I'd have to say that even before they had completed their first number I was instantly converted and irrespective of whatever oeuvre you want to place their music in whether it is blues, jazz, rock, soul or even C&W, the results are extremely impressive.

I've now snapped up all three of their albums. The live double-CD may be a bit flabby in parts yet it is the album which truly captures the full potential on this band as well as given the musicians more room to stretch out and solo. In the studio the results are more concise and this second studio offering doesn't quite have the immediate impact of the original "Revelator" disc which was choc-a-block with great tunes. The opening title track was initially demonstrative of the rest of the album in that it was good but didn't quite back the punch of the other two albums. Ploughing my way through the CD for the first time nothing really stuck out until the penultimate "The Storm" which is a punchy blues with Truck letting rip on his guitar to that his allegiance to the music of the great John Coltrane is immediately apparent.
That said, this album is a real grower. It does get better with repeated listening and ultimately you realise that it isn't too far from hitting the highs of the previous recordings. The second track "Do I look worried" is terrific and I love the funkiness of "misunderstood." "Part of me" is a very good pop song which could have easily have strayed from some 1960's Soul review. Tedeschi's vocal's are a bit draw in the work of these recordings, but on this track she shares the duties with another singer who sounds a bit like Curtis Mayfield.

This disc probably sides more towards the soul and rock fields with the solos largely taken by Trucks amazing guitar. I suppose fans will have their particular favourites amongst the three records that have been released to date. However, there isn't really a great deal between them all and I am just pleased that there is a band as tight as this which can cover so many basses in a highly effective manner without compromising their own identity. All three discs are recommended.
on 10 September 2013
I came to this album after seeing the largely excellent reviews - and came without the baggage or much knowledge of what these artists have done before.
I had worried that it would that it would be too samey (As some blues/country albums tend to be for casual listeners) but this album has enough variety and sheer quality to overcome narrow genre definitions of blues & americana - throwing in handfuls of funk and groove to keep things interesting.

Tedeschi's voice is captivating and she manages to alter her tone very well to fit the mood of the different songs. Truck's guitars are simply sublime and, again going against type, he playing serves the song rather than the song acting as a platform to show off his chops. The rest of the band are rock solid, playing with subtlety and vigour with equal panache.

Without picking through the song list too much I'd highlight "Made Up Mind", "Do I Look Worried", "All That I Need" and "The Storm" as the albums highlights.
Only one, the somewhat repetitive Sweet and Low has waned in interest after a few listenings.

All in all, this is real music played by musicians that care about their art and it's such a joy to discover them that I can't recommend it highly enough.
on 19 January 2014
All very well played. but where is Mike Mattison? I know it's the Tedeschi Trucks Band but please Derek and Susan- wise up. Does he only get on the tour bus because he wrote some of your most loved show stoppers? And we'll never know why Tod Smallie (and Yonrico in particular) gave up on such a successful venture to explore their own visions in music...
Don't get me wrong- live (Shepherds Bush Empire and more recently The Royal Albert Hall) TTB are absolutely stunning, that's no understatement, but come home from the gig in euphoria and which albums belly flop onto the old turn table? That's right- "Already Free" or "Song lines" etc. I've tried forcing "Revellator" and "Made Up Mind" down my throat in the car, but I can't get away from it. It's great music, bloody well played, but I miss MM big time. Back to wearing out "Already Free" then.
Despite what I've written, I know I'll be back for more with the next album and that sums it all up really, don't you think?
Three stars because you just can't get away from the sheer wealth of talent and material, but only 3 also because I miss the old outfit.
on 2 September 2013
Trucks & Tedeschi meet and we have blues meets the big band sound with a little bit of country thrown in for good measure. All the tracks on this album (CD) are exceptional there is some soulful singing 'Idle Wind' and more up-tempo tracks such as 'The Storm' and 'All that I need' but the best is the title track. This cd is very well produced and has been worth the wait. An exceptional cd!
on 7 March 2014
I am reviewing the vinyl edition, and whilst I am very pleased with overall packaging and sound quality it is disappointing that the album is spread across 4 sides, as It means constantly getting up to turn the LP over. It should have been on two or even three-Columbia have a precedent for this-Johnny Winter: Second Winter. Great album of soulful blues though
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 29 June 2014
TTB is a recent discovery of mine and I am so glad that I have discovered them. They are brilliant, alone and together. Trucks' guitar playing is simply out of this world. I have never experienced something so unassuming, graceful, faultless and brilliant at the same time. I loved every single piece. Well done!!!!
on 9 December 2014
One of my all time favourite albums - the talent within this band is just ridiculous! Pretty sure one of these songs will play at my funeral as its songs have become a huge part of my life :) Get this album you will not be disappointed!
on 21 October 2013
Another good album continuing on from Revelator with some really good songs and excellent guitar work as we've come to expect from Derek Trucks. Susan's voice is good for most of their songs but where is the excellent Mike Mattison's vocals? Some of these songs are crying out for his talent. By the end of the album I was beginning to resent Susan's monopoly of the vocals as her voice isn't as strong as someone thinks it is and some of the songs just need a man's tone to get the best out of them.
on 21 August 2013
An album of completely new songs, no covers on "Made Up Mind", unusual because they do them so well.
This offering is up there with their best. if not the best so far.
I have all of the Derek Trucks Band cd's also all of Susan Tedeschi cd's plus The Allman brothers Band cd's.
Now we have the Tedeschi/Trucks Band, the quality and diversity of the music just gets better and better.