Format: Audio Download|Change
Price:£13.12

Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
For me, the test of a good book is one which reaches out, grabs you and does not let you go until you have finished reading. When I saw PRECIOUS THING listed on the latest Vine programme, I decided to order it because I was hoping for an easy, but engaging read. And, ultimately that is exactly what I found.

The story is narrated by Rachel. In her late twenties, she has become a successful career woman. Working as a journalist, she appears to have everything; a loving relationship, a nice flat and her work. But, when she attends a press conference to cover the story of a missing woman, she is shocked to find that the missing woman is her best friend. From there things start to fall apart, as she learns more and more truth behind a lifetime of lies.

McBeth's writing style is easy to become absorbed in. Although I will not claim that this book did not have some problems and parts of the story were easily guessed, you can't help but become tangled up with Rachel and what she has to say. Like many thrillers, one of the most recurring themes of the book is the question about how well any of us know those around us. Also, how do you define truth? Which version of events is the true version? So, although this is not exactly breaking new ground or highly original, at least McBeth manages to pull it off, the result being a story which keeps you intrigued.
on 9 August 2014
I had heard many good things about the book but I have to admit I did struggle through the first half - I enjoyed the second half more as I thought the author was doing something rather subtly brilliant with the characterisations - or maybe that was wishful thinking.

That said, hands in the air, this is not the sort of book I would normally read so I'm not the intended audience and I'm not sure I'd rush back to read the next one - but I can see it being enjoyed by many people and the style was very easy to read - perhaps too easy, it's brilliance may have washed right over my head...

In the end it just didn't challenge me enough.
on 10 October 2013
There are so many good,well-written psychological thrillers out there at the moment,that it's becoming a bit difficult to find one where the twists aren't easy to spot! This was an enjoyable and,at times intriguing read,but I was hoping for one or two more surprising revelations in the last chapters,and the ending was rather disappointing. The media presenter background reminded me a little of Sabine Durrant's "Under Your Skin". And why on earth is the front cover emblazoned with the words: "Don't believe a word she says..." Why reveal one of the plot elements like that? Very strange decision.
on 7 April 2014
Wow!
That’s all I can say about this book. It is absolutely fantastic.
Precious Thing tells the story of Rachel and Clara – lifelong friends and keepers of each other’s secrets. They met when Rachel was the new girl at school and since then have been inseparable. Rachel has got it all, she’s a big shot TV reporter, has a nice flat and of course a gorgeous boyfriend whilst Clara’s life is beginning to unravel. When Clara goes missing, Rachel ends up questioning everything she once thought about her friend. Can we really know everything about our best friend?
This book was just insanely good. I read it in just one afternoon, not able to put it down for one second. It hooks you in, sinks its claws into you and won’t let go even after you’ve turned the last page. Precious Thing explores so many intriguing themes, the main one being friendship, and each one is explored in such detail.
The friendship between Rachel and Clara was a suffocating one – it was a really intense relationship which made for compelling reading. Rachel was a really interesting protagonist and throughout the novel I was on her side, struggling to see why someone like Clara should even be considered a friend. Likewise, I disliked Clara and was rooting for her to be found out! The character development in this novel is, well, it’s remarkable. By the end of the book, the characters seem so far removed from the ones we met in the beginning – it was incredibly well written.
McBeth, for a debut author, has got the pacing down to a fine art. It can sometimes be difficult to get the pace of a thrilling novel right, it either ends up moving too quickly or has some peaks and troughs of pure thrills and then moments of dullness! What McBeth does in Precious Thing is flawless. I was clinging onto each word, rapidly turning the pages, not once feeling bored of what was going on.
It’s really hard to go into any more depth about characters and plot because this book is one that needs to be read to be understood and one that will be spoiled if I give any more details away.
I must say though that this is potentially the best crime/thriller debut I’ve read in a very long time. The twists and turns, the heart stopping moments, the unpredictable plot…it was all sublime.
I cannot wait to read the next novel from Colette because I am certain that she will become a very big name in the writing world before long.
A must read debut that will shock, thrill and excite you.
on 25 June 2014
I loved a lot of the descriptive writing in this novel but I didn't like the author's decision to address the novel to another character ('you walked into the room') which became very tedious. I found the main character unappealing, and her relationships with the other characters were unconvincing. My main problem was with the plot. The major twists were obvious from a long way off, and there was one frankly unnecessary twist that I found hard to believe. I would read another book by this author as this definitely had its good points and I'd like to see how she develops as a writer.
on 2 May 2015
This didn't draw me into the storyline one bit, it seemed to have the effect of plodding through mud but I did carry on with it. However, got to about 50% then I just started skimming over the pages to about 90% just to read what the ending would be, found the book all in all to be a bit of a slog, certainly not a page turner.

The only good thing was I only paid 99p for it and I would not rush to read another book from this author.
VINE VOICEon 13 July 2013
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The plot to this book unfolds in the form of a letter from Rachel to her best friend Clara, who has mysteriously disappeared after an arrangement to meet up with some old school friends in Brighton. Right from the outset I didn't understand why Clara's disappearance was given such high profile news coverage, or what the reason was for the bond between Clara and Rachel. These and many other things were a puzzle of the wrong kind despite all the descriptive prose which I found overblown. In fact the whole book is rather over-written, perhaps in an attempt to disguise the somewhat dopey plot.

There are some clever ideas to the storyline but they weren't good enough to carry it off. The relationships between Clara, Rachel and mother Niamh turn out to be ludicrous, especially the coincidences that tie them together.

Even though I was initially intrigued by some elements of the plot, I became more and more irritated by the characters. In fact, it was a relief to get to the end of the book. Even the final twist left me feeling annoyed rather than shocked.

Despite the hype don't bother with this one.
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Author Colette McBeth has been a crime correspondent to the BBC and she now relies on this background to produce a sinister and suspenseful debut novel. `Precious Thing' is a darkly menacing psychological thriller about a TV journalist, Rachel, who is sent to cover a story concerning a missing person - and finds this is her old school-friend Clara. `Precious Thing' is skilfully written with wonderful words and lovely language that mask a tense and frightening plot, and without resorting to any real horror or violence it tells a gripping story. The relationship between Rachel and Clara is cleverly camouflaged, and Clara's fate is cunningly concealed - and what of Rachel's boyfriend? Narrative is in the first person by Rachel who explores concepts of love and hate, friendship and enmity, trust and betrayal, truth and falsehood, control and chaos, and choice and destiny. `Precious Thing' interweaves past and present, and also interweaves the personalities of Rachel and Clara - who is to be believed? - what is real? `Precious Thing' is a 5-star compelling page-turner as it gathers pace, keeps the reader engrossed, and leads to a stunning revelation. Read it.
on 6 April 2016
This book was not what I expected. It had great reviews but I can see where the 1 star reviewers were coming from. I did finish the book as I kept thinking it would draw me back in but I must admit I skim read final bits just to keep on top of events and get it finished. The events were highly unlikely and I correctly guessed plot early on. I was not a fan of the writing style. I guess the story highlights 'There are 2 sides to every story' to be honest I'm still unsure which of the friends account I believe. I like things neatly finished in a book with no unanswered questions, this book did not do this for me.
on 13 April 2014
When I had the opportunity to read and review this book I jumped at the chance after hearing so many great recommendations and the blurb sounded really promising.

The story is about Rachel and Clara, they have been the best of friends since school. One night Clara goes missing and Rachel must find her. Not only for her job as a news correspondent but as her best friend.

The story is written in the style of a long letter to Clara, this I found extremely hard to follow and did not enjoy this style of writing.I think if it had been written in a different style it may have been easier to follow and more enjoyable. It also jumped from memories in the past to the present, this was something I also found difficult with in the book as it would take me ages to work out if we were in the past or in the present.

I found the book to be a real slog, and it didn't flow very well. This is unfortunate as I haven't read a book that has made me feel like this for a very long time. I love psychological thrillers, however this didn't push the buttons for me.

Unfortunately I couldn't connect to any of the characters and cared for them very little, this is a shame as it made it harder for me to enjoy.

I was hoping for a real page turner when this turned up and I was so excited to read it, however I felt let down and left feeling flat.

I don't like to write a negative review on any book as the author has taken time to write it and it is their work and it's better than anything I could write! However this book just wasn't for me.

Saying this, this is only my opinion and as others out there have shown with their reviews, they have enjoyed the book very much.

I would like to thank the publisher for supplying me with this copy in exchange for a honest review.