on 17 May 2016
THIS BOOK CONTAINS A MASSIVE HARRY DRESDEN SPOILER

The description to the book reveals a huge spoiler for anyone who hasn't finished the series. If you're ever considering reading the Dresden files then skip this part entirely, as both the page long editorial and short story itself aren't meant to be read until you have finished the series.

I'm staggered that this wasn't mentioned. How hard would it have been to have included a line saying 'Spoiler ahead- do not read unless you have finished the Dresden files series.'?

Other than that the stories in this book are very good, I've enjoyed most of them and skipped those that I did not enjoy.
on 17 November 2015
I brought this as there were two stories I really wanted to read, one by Sharon Penman and one by Diana Gabaldon. I wasn't sure about the other stories as I was unfamiliar with the authors, but I really enjoyed all the stories. This is a fabulous collection, the stories were all very well written, and certainly left me wanting to read more by all the authors.
on 8 September 2016
Sorry but this collection isn't worth the time or trouble.

Apart from about 4 stories, many are just boring, strange or both. Oftentimes they are about women doing man-like things or getting men to do things for them, thus making them not that dangerous.

Slogging through all that gets you to a sort of potted history of a war taking place in Westeros's history.It's interesting, but not worth ploughing through most of the rest.
on 2 July 2015
Being an anthology obviously not every story will appeal to every reader, but after thoroughly loving almost every story in the similar 'Rogues' collection and being a huge fan of stories featuring interesting women, I was surprised by how frequently disappointed I was by this collection. The stories I liked, I loved - 'Some Desperado' was a great opener, and 'Raisa Stepanova', 'Bombshells', 'Neighbors', 'Shadows for Silence in the Forests of Hell', and 'The Girl in the Mirror' really stood out to me. I would have given this five stars if all the stories were as good, but I still say it's worth four stars for how good it can be.

There were a few stories that properly disappointed me, being less about 'dangerous women' and more about the men who wanted to have sex with said women, the tired old 'femme fatale' trope that I hoped this book would avoid - 'Wrestling Jesus' and 'I Know How to Pick 'Em' were particularly bad for this. 'Wrestling Jesus' bored me, frankly, and 'I Know How to Pick 'Em' made me put my Kindle down in disgust after finishing it. There's a persistent theme of sexual violence through a lot of the stories that bothered me.
on 9 September 2017
All the stories in this book are quite fabulous. I've met some new authors I want to read more of.
on 17 January 2016
As with any anthology, there are some more favourable stories than others but a great collection. Something for everyone and it has introduced me to some new authors whose other books I will definitely be checking out. Some of the stories definitely left me wanting more.
on 25 October 2014
Great anthology - I bought it for DIana Gabaldon but found all the other authors novellas highly enjoyable
on 12 May 2015
Like all these collections, filled with good stories written by familiar talented writers. loved it.
on 14 October 2016
I haven't finished the whole collection yet but there are some great stories - and some brilliant - from a wide variety of genres...highly recommend!
on 11 September 2014
A large tome, with a lot of good stories to read. Not one to take on the train due to the size, but well worth a read.