Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£4.68

on 8 March 2017
A present, arrived on time, pleased with it.
on 6 March 2017
Reminded me of my time working with bodies my very first employed position. The hardships , responsibility, tiredness and rewards.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 27 April 2017
Leave the 'Rat Race' behind and make your own way - a wonderful tale of true grit in God's own country
on 25 April 2017
Beautiful book about the hardships of crofting.
on 28 March 2014
This is a wonderful book. Simply written, it describes in great detail everyday life on a small Highland croft. Of course the period it relates to seems very remote to us now, but the feelings and observations of the author seem to me still highly relevant today. I found her descriptions of landscapes and incidents memorable and her own reflections often very moving. The sort of book which lightens your heart and helps you put the trivia of daily life in our present materialistic world in its proper place. I will definitely return to this book when I want comfort and inspiration.
on 27 April 2017
Funny how so many of us dream of getting out of the 'Rat Race', I wonder sometimes how the rat race exists with so many of us dead set against it? Anyway this book offers comfort to those of us who one day will do it, like the Stewarts we'll stop the commute, stop chasing careers, stop grabbing at the next new fad and reflect on what we've actually achieved. Most of us will have made our way by working hard to bring success to others but oh how I long to be my own man, to strive for survival and to flourish by the fruits of my own labours, ooh I feel like I'm getting all poetic now, but Katherine Stewarts account of her own family's struggle shows the rewards on offer, quite simply genuine happiness and contentment. Sadly, even then in the 60's crofting was dying out and many of the friends they made in the early days passed away or moved on but I loved that sense of community, that sense of 'all for one', support, understanding but at the end of the day it doesn't take away from the warmth and reward of self achievement. I'm off down the allotment now to dig some spuds ands smoke my pipe...
on 26 June 2011
Katherine Stewart wrote in her book A Croft in the Hills, about three people (herself, her husband Jim and young daughter, Helen) taking to the hills 1,000 feet above Loch Ness to live "quiet lives, hill-top farming under a wide sky".

She writes with beautiful simplicity, as a woman that can turn hardship into something to be valued and the simple things we daily take for granted into treasures. We could all do with a good healthy dollop of her spirit - the world would be a much finer place for it.

"When you have lived for a few years in the bare uplands, where life has been precarious from the start, you learn, first, not to panic. Then you are ready to love wholeheartedly what need no longer be feared. You become so deeply involved in the true drama of cherishing life itself that mere attitudes and the pursuit of possessions are discarded as absurd. You discover that under snow there is bread, the secret bread, that sustains."
on 1 July 2009
This is a charming tale of a bygone age. A couple decide to give up life in the fast lane to try farming on a croft in Scotland. Life without running water and limited electricity is unimaginable now- but their life was so rewarding despite these tough living conditions. It brought back wonderful memories of my dad's stories about hill farming when he was a child. It really is an evocative tale.
on 10 August 2011
After having read this book, the first thing I wanted to do was get away to the Scottish Highlands and live the life of a crofter. Makes us realise that although it is hard to adjust to this type of life, it is probably one of the most rewarding. Leaving the rate race would suit me perfectly, so I thoroughly enjoyed reading someone's else's experience.
on 12 August 2010
This is a wonderful book, I found it difficult to put down yet I didn't want it to be over. Katherine Stewart shares the story of her and her families life on a croft in the North of Scotland. A life full of richness, warmth and companionship. She has the ability to make you feel like you are experiencing nature and the elements first hand. There was so many times during this book that I felt Katherine was sharing her wisdom of life. A wisdom that should be passed onto many generations to come. A book to enjoy and savour, it will leave its memory with you...just as any visit to the hills and lochs of North Scotland will.