on 22 November 2015
It is always interesting to learn about a person who wrote something that inspired one of the most delightful films ever when it comes to children's classic, in this case P L Travers. I quite enjoyed this, found it heavy going at times, but on the whole was pleased to have read it.
on 14 June 2015
Interesting up to a point but not written in a very engaging style. Obvious that a great deal of research went into preparation of this biography and it rings true, but I finished reading it with a sigh of relief.
on 7 January 2017
Still reading it
on 1 December 2015
Really wanted to learn more about PL Travers so stuck with the book but I found it a slow difficult read
on 26 February 2014
Found this book unutterably boring. Too much unnecessary information and padding. Needs to be read in small doses to stay interesting. Still trying to get through it.
VINE VOICEon 7 January 2015
I just couldn't get into this book at all, the writing is so stilted, the subject is boring, the character of the subject is not very nice, so it was sent to the cloud after several chapters, never to be seen again.
Sorry I can't recommend it at all.
on 30 March 2014
Thought this sounded a good story in light of the Emma Thomson book but I gave up after 100 pages. Just too dull and not at all gripping. Sorry
on 3 June 2017
Poor quality paper in small font on smaller than A5 format makes me reluctant to start reading it. The 3 cm wide spine will have to be cracked to allow the pages to be easily read. Not worth £6.38.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 6 February 2017
This was a strange book about a strange woman. It could have done with some judicious editing as I felt that in some areas, particularly those to do with P L Travers' spiritual life, the author went into huge amounts of detail and things got slightly off topic. I also wasn't sure about the parts of the book that looked as if the were written by Travers about her childhood, but given the nature of what the author tells us about Travers' reluctance to talk about her childhood, I believe they were written by the author and I'm really not sure why they were there. There were some fascinating elements to the book and I found some sections gripping, but others were just far too long and there was a fair amount of repetition. It could well be that this was due to Travers' own recurring obsessions, but again, editing would have helped here.
on 1 May 2014
I bought this book as I had read an article about PJ Travers and I thought she sounded like an interesting person who had lead an unusual life. When I ordered the book, I took a gamble as there were no reviews for it on Amazon and it was relatively expensive. In my opinion the book reads like an academic thesis. It is long, very detailed and boring. I read only about one quarter of the book. During her life Ms Travers wrote a lot of verse/poetry and much of it is included in the book. I am not a fan of poetry and feel that the verse really ought to have been the subject of a separate book or at least contained in the appendices, so that one could more easily skip it. There is a lot of detail of Ms Travers' childhood in Australia. For example, when her mother had a headache she asked her daughter to put her cooling hand on it. PL Travers kept a diary throughout her life and much of the book includes quotes from the diaries. Maybe the book was never edited or maybe it is just out there because of the recent anniversary of the Mary Poppins film, and the Tom Hanks and Emma Thompson film replaying the making of the Mary Poppins movie. If you like the Mary Poppins books, a lot of biographical detail, verse, poetry and some purple prose, buy it.