Customer reviews

on 18 March 2014
Great to hear all of this again and to get the live stuff as well. 'Clem' is a great guitarist and this almost does him justice. The whole feel of the band is great. They gell well together and compliment each other's playing. I suppose this set is all you need really to get a feel for the work of this band. Not so keen on the colloseum11 bit though, I didn't like that incarnation much.
I like it.
on 29 September 2010
There has been the expected criticsm of this release as the record company milking the fans. Yes I have all the records, the 1st CD issues and the new expanded CD editions. This set while ostensibly aimed at marginal fans is really an entrapment for the dedicated fans. A few out takes, an unissued "In the Heat of the Night", a work up take of "The Pirate's Dream" (both well worth hearing), a few bootleg tracks and a John Peel BBC interview with Dick and Dave hardly justifies the cost.

However CD 3 does - any live recording from there peak period is worth anything. Colosseum full on live in top quality sound: alternate versions of "Rope Ladder", "Skellington" and "Stormy Monday" which shows how they improvised within and with quite complex song structures. Plus the medly "I Can't Live Without You/The Time Machine/The Machine Demands A Sacrifice" with a great drum solo and an absolutely tremendous "Valentine Suite". It doesn't get any better then this except, maybe, 'Colossuem Live'.

25 quid for a Colosseum concert - dirt cheap. And the ticket can be reused any time you like (the band only gets one royalty payment from your purchase!) - a bargain, the best I ever had. AND REMEMBER ... TURN IT DOWN TO DEAFENING
on 29 October 2009
Great jazz-prog collection, the best so far. Only Colosseum collection you need. Beautiful package and informative sleeve notes are a good reason to own it, too.
on 13 May 2012
A true value for money deal!! The best collection of John Hiseman and his men, better known as Colosseum. Everything is there, from those about to die... to the Kettle and the Valentyne Suite. Buy it and turn that amp up!!
on 2 November 2010
Morituri Te Salutant

As I only wanted cd3 I purchased the mp3 version. Well I am really disappointed with it. I realise that Chris Farlowe( who is a strong vocalist) does not suit the music that well. I guess that makes me a minority of one, but for me the albums that I have - anything pre the first live release, are better all round.
on 18 September 2009
Update October 2016: Fantastic, I have just purchased the latest 2CD Colosseum Live, complete with the live Disc 3 from this box-set (as I hoped for in my original review!), and it is Out Of This World!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you whoever (may have) listened :)

The 1 star review is only at the frustration of this coming out not a long time after the remastered / expanded editions of all their studio albums, which I have already purchased.
The music on this box-set will be 5 star!!!!!!
Unfortunately I will not be buying this product, at this price, as the only part of this box-set I am really interested in is CD3 (the extra live stuff) - a couple of tracks on CD4 are also of interest, but I can live without these.
So please can somebody re-release the 1971 Colosseum Live album expanded with CD3 and I will purchase that.
44 Comments| 14 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse