on 8 November 2013
First of all I DON'T read books about serial murders so how come I read these. I have read all of the Parish & Richards. I can't even remember how it started must have been free or very cheap to buy the first one?
Is it the characters? The plots? I really don't know but Tim Ellis has certainly progressed with his writing in the last year or two and the books now have a terrific pace to them and as for the number of plots and sub plots - it's hard to keep count - never mind keep abreast of them all! Some of the characters and repeated situations can verge on the irritating but overall the readability factor is very high.
The only thing I disliked about this book was the non conclusion of one of the storylines. Tim Ellis has always wrapped up things by the end even if not always in a tidy manner but this time he has left a teaser in terms of getting people to buy the next book. Has it worked with me? Unfortunately yes.
However, I am concerned about Tim's future welfare. He now has a growing number of main characters and finding the space to cover them all is probably why he has not been able to devote the same amount of time to each investigation. Either the books will have to get much longer, or he will have to have a mass culling of characters, or he will have to give some of the characters their own series?
The main thing is that it is hard to put the books down! They remind me a bit of the 'Fast Show' Tv comedy sketch show in that everything happens so quickly that you even forget about the bad bits.
on 11 October 2013
Another great read from Tim Ellis. I really do enjoy the Parish and Richards books, and the good thing is, as i forgot i'd bought it, and only just read it, i get to read book 11 right away.

Parish & Richards are sent to Cyprus to discover if a British Army officer being held by the Cypriot police is responsible for murdering a local woman and the disappearance of three other women, or whether he is being made a scapegoat by the anti-British elements of the Cypriot government. Jerry gets involved in a simple restraining order and then disappears. Kowalski oversteps the mark trying to find her, but all is not what it seems. Stick and Koll have two cases to solve: Viktor likes performing surgical procedures on people using his collection of antique medical instruments; and a sniper is shooting drivers on the A406 in Essex. The dirty cops at Shrub End send a killer after Koll, and Stick must race to save her. Xena wakes up and asks her old flame - DI Tom Dougall - to help her protect Stick. Cookie gives the files (including details of the Epsilon experiments) that she stole from Basement 7 to Group 323, who pass them onto WikiUK in Iceland. The security services send a black ops team to Iceland to prevent publication of the top secret files, which they fear could bring down the British Government
on 27 April 2014
I, like other reviewers of this book, have found this instalment of P & R disappointing. There are far too many story lines, it becomes confusing trying to keep up. Stretching parish's history over 10 books, and probably more, is beyond ridiculous! I really don't care any more. It's become pointless and not even vaguely of interest.
However, for me, the biggest problem with this grisly tale is the character of Michelangelo.the name is a cliche to start with! There is no such thing as a hair lip! Many years ago these were called hare lips. So called because of an apparent similarity to the lip of a hare. In recent years this condition has been, more accurately, renamed cleft lip. A cleft lip does not make someone grotesque mr Ellis! It is a congenital condition. 1/7000 babies will be born with a cleft lip and/or palate. The vast majority are beautiful children, even before repairing surgery. PLEASE use the correct term, and spell it right! And just because you want the character to be evil, don't make a fairly common disfigurement to be something grotesque!
Such a little bit of research would have clarified this for you!
on 4 August 2013
Having read all of his crime related books and enjoyed them, I do not feel that this was in the same category. There were too many sub-plots going on which meant that none of the them were, in my view, given enough time - they became superficial. Some did not seem to end - apart from with a throw away line (I won't go into detail so as not to spoil it) - others suddenly concluded. If this is how his books are going to continue, then I will probably stop buying them.
on 30 July 2013
Tim Ellis. Terrific read
Through a Glass Darkly (Parish & Richards 10)
The book starts with a bang, and after chapter 1 you ŵill be hooked.
The banter between parish & Richards starts early in chapter 2 and gets better when Richards has an accident.
Parish & Richards are sent to help solve a crime in Cyprus leaving Stick and an interim partner to look after things at Hoddesdon station, under the watchful eye of chief Kowalski.
This latest Parish & Richards novel is a terrific addition to the series.
With 2/3 investigations going on you will enjoy this book from start to finish.
5 stars 30 July 2013.
on 3 February 2014
I love Tim Ellis books, especially the detective stories and banter between Parish & Richards ... unfortunately, I have to agree with other readers that starting with P&R Book 9, things have started to go 'off track'. Too many sub plots causing confusion ..... please, let the series continue, but revert to the earlier style, complete a plot and have an ongoing story in the background to carry forward.
on 6 October 2013
I love these books. The characters are so familiar now, agreed this was not the best and there were a few sub plots but it all came together, touching moments in the hospital with Xena and Stick before she quickly realised and donned her hard as nails shell. I cannot get out my head that Stick would look like Mackenzie Crook! The relationship between Parish and Richards grows with each book and you can feel the maturity and gentle father - daughter protectiveness,pride and angst develop through the books,
I look forward to each installment of these books and would highly recommend. Carry on Mr Ellis,you bring great joy.
on 9 August 2013
Another fantastic and satisfying read. I'm a bit of a Parish and Richards scoffer and promised myself I would read this one slowly, but it was just too good again!!! I will now need another course to keep me full. I'm sure Tim will already be cooking up a recipe for perfection.
I was glad to see my namesake was in fact using a false name as I was concerned she was a bit desperate for mates...as well as being completely nuts! All to be revealed in the next book I hope.
Hope Xena and Stickamundo will be back in full force. I feel like I'm getting double bubble with their substory, as they are just as in depth. Maybe they could have their own book too? I think stick might have some secrets to reveal, and if he doesn't....well we'll never know!
Great book yet again!
on 8 August 2013
I love the books written by Tim Ellis, the plots, the characters, the preposterous amount of serial killers in Essex all in create a wonderful world a million miles away from boring old Midsummer. I loved Through a Glass Darkly until the end. Ellis has developed the new characters which is just as well because the relationship between Parish and Richards is getting a little boring, but what happened suddenly it was all over, Stick got his multiple murders solved in a few lines and an all but fleeting imprisonment resulted in a fawning Cypriot copper and everything resolved. The end was all too abrupt and left me I satisfied. Tim are you too stretched.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 6 August 2013
Much as I enjoy Tim Ellis's Richards and Parish series, this one I found a little annoying in the way it kept switching from one set of characters to another very abruptly, several times in one chapter, leaving me desperately trying to work out what was going on. I also felt it ended far too quickly, as if the author had got fed up with writing it, and wanted to end things as fast as possible.

Maybe leaving things up in the air regarding Jerry Kowalski is a cunning way of making sure that we buy the next book to find out what happens to her, but it left me feeling short changed.