Customer reviews

another great album from Ry Cooder
on 13 May 2017
Cooder at his best
on 14 September 2013
I don't quite get the generally luke warm reviews so far. To me this is a fine live CD. The sound quality on my system is pretty good, maybe not quite up to Live On Air standards but more than acceptable.

Ry and the band are in fine form and the recording gives you a front row seat experience. Highlights for me are Dark End of the Street, with great vocals from Terry Evans and Arnold McCuller and brilliant accordion as always from Flaco Jiminez. Of course Vigilante Man is Ry at his best with brilliant guitar. I also love the closer Good Night Irene which features some really beautiful interplay between Ry and Flaco. Vocally Ry seems to have improved with age compared to the Live on Air set.

The 10 piece horn section don't dominate the set , rather they compliment those songs they feature on.

Overall this is a very enjoyable disc, if you like live music then buy with confidence.
on 19 May 2017
This was a gift. The recipient was very pleased with it.
on 26 April 2017
Good live cd
on 17 September 2013
I love this album, as it rolls back the years to the string of lp,s and performances in the late 70,s and early 80,s there is a warmth to hearing Cooder, Jimenez, Evans and Mculler enjoying themselves as they roar through this set. I,m a fan i might be biased i might even be wrong, but i still love chicken skin music live and i,ve got a feeling that i,m going to be playing this for as couple of decades. Knocked a polnt of for the between songs "banter" which i,m already skipping through but the playing is peerless
on 11 September 2013
A bad Ry Cooder release be it a studio or live one isn't on the cards so far. I bought `live on air` a while back and really enjoyed it, especially on long car journeys. For me the winner is a really good `Dark End of the Street` `Schools Out` being a close second, whilst the others just feel `pedestrian`. It may well be a grower.
Ry Cooder fans like me will want this in their collections, but it's not one of his best albums by any means. There are some great moments, but also some rather weaker stuff and the live sound isn't great.

Good bits first: there are cracking versions of Vigilante Man and Crazy 'Bout An Automobile and there is, of course, some really fine guitar work in plenty of other places. The opening of Volver Volver is wonderful, for example...but the rest of it really isn't up to much, including some pretty dodgy tuning in Juliette Commagere's vocals. And that rather sums up the album for me - great in places but pretty ordinary overall.

Part of the problem is the sound, which is woolly, boomy and indistinct a good deal of the time. There is also a lot of intrusive audience noise, including a lot of that whooping in completely inappropriate places which is all about drawing attention to the whooper and nothing to do with appreciation of the music. It really needed to be mixed down because for me it spoils quite a lot of the quieter bits. (And what is it about Goodnight Irene? It's a pretty dull song and first Eric Clapton and now Ry Cooder have released...well...dull recordings of it. It's a mystery to me.)

I've loved Ry Cooder's music since I discovered Bop Till You Drop in 1979 (better late than never) and I'll certainly listen to anything by him, but I can't see me playing this very often. I suspect I'd have loved it if I'd been there, but as a record I can only give it a lukewarm recommendation.
33 Comments| 16 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 16 October 2013
An official album from Ry Cooder is always welcome. As someone who has collected Ry Cooder since the 70's I a totally disappointed by this collection. Ry Cooder is simply going thru the motions here. Round up a few cronies and make a quick buck. If you listen to a recent release of a concert in Hamburg Germany in 1977, you will be struck by a remarkable similarity in the track listings. Surely a man of his talents could vary the setlist over a forty year period? Do Re Mi, Wooly Bully, Dark End of The Street, and of course Goodnight Irene all featured again and again and again. Time to freshen it up Ry, because this all sounds like it has all been done before.
on 20 April 2014
Ry Cooder live with Corridos Famosa they just rock the place.. A lot of his most well known tunes with a quirky number thrown in , the Mexican flavour just another layer into a great musical journey