Customer reviews

Wolf Children [DVD]
Format: DVD|Change

on 21 November 2014
Though I'd argue not as strong as Hosoda's previous feature films (Summer Wars and The Girl Who Leapt Through Time respectfully) this is still an engaging, beautifully animated film about Hana, a single mother, and her experiences raising her children in the typical Japanese countryside. It has powerfully emotional moments, especially upon Hana's arrival in the countryside and the film's climax.
The only real issue I have with the film is it leaves you to unintentionally question Hana's parenting decisions (notably concerning her daughter during a storm) but if you allow it some liberties for storytelling it's a great film which will resonate especially with families - as Hosoda's works usually do.

The sub (as expected) was great and the dub was just as good. Give it a go!
on 10 April 2014
Really loved the movie when I watched it. It has such an amazing story and the art is fantastic! I also love that you get some art made by the creator with it. Those looks great too. My favorite character in this, must be Hana. She's a great mom and does great, considering she has two half-human, half-wolf kids and what makes me love her even more, is how great she handles everything when her boyfriend/the dad passes away. It was just so sad when it happened, but she manages to pull through at that what makes the movie so great.

I also loved how the kids made their own decision of what they.... wanted to be, either a wolf or a human. If you're uncertain if you want to watch this movie or not (or to buy it), just do it! You will not regret the choice.
on 7 March 2015
Miyazaki has done it, yet again, with another sterling animation. If your a fan of Studio Ghibli or you've seen animation's like Ocean Waves and Only Yesterday, you'll find the artwork familiar to those styles and themes. Without giving any spoilers away and being as cagey as possible, this is a young women's struggle to raise her family on her own and help her children to find their place within the modern world. Sounds pretty generic I guess, but the storyline and its flowing grace is fantastic. I was surprised however, a little towards the end of the movie, how the story played out. It had the overtones of grief and tragedy, but didn't end the way I though it might. A wonderful, compelling story, worthy of being collected and watched over and over again.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 25 February 2015
A lovely feature animation, more about bringing up children who are "different" with lots of subtle observations on single parenthood. The style is very painterly and engages at an emotional level. Excellent film
on 27 April 2016
Pity can only rate this as 5 stars as I'd give it at last 8. An excellent movie, the english voice actors were brilliant and the animation beautiful to watch.The storyline as already listed by others before here, told from the view of the daughter looking back relating the struggle of her family from her mother meeting her father who turns out to be a shape shifting wolf ! to their children part human, part wolf staying together as they grew up with their secret, will the call of the wild be stronger than their human side? heartwarming, tragic and funny. Was warned may need a tissue handy and yes darn those onions.
on 30 April 2015
Purchasing this was wonderfully hassle free. I bought this as a gift and my friend loves it. It arrived in plenty of time and we had absolutely no problems with it.
As for the movie itself, this is one of the few animes where I can tolerate the English dub, and I absolutely love the movie. I feel the plot is pretty unique, it's about a human mother raising her two werewolf children and walking the line between wolf and human. Growing up, identity and having to hide part of who you are, motherly love, and community, I love all the down to earth themes that ring true despite the supernatural protagonists.
on 6 November 2016
I don't think it's for everyone but I loved it. After meaning to pick up a copy of the graphic novel for god knows how long, I stumbled a cross this on sale.

It's supposed to be told through Yuki, the daughter, about how her mother raised them as children after she's tragicaly finds herself alone in the world with 2 very young wolf children.

My only issue is the ending. I'm not satisfied, that's the only thing with anime, I always want to know what happens after the ending.
on 10 September 2014
The easiest word to describe this movie is 'Wonderful'.
Mamoru Hosada's movie have got better with each release and considering the high standards of 'The Girl Who Leapt Through Time' and 'Summer Wars' that is really saying a lot. I really liked those movies but with this movie has captured perfection.
'Wolf Children' is easily up there amongst any of the Ghibli movies and any other anime as one of the greatest anime movies ever made.
This movie reminds me of 'My Neighbour Totoro' meets Call of the Wild'.
Great characters and a truly fascinating story make this such wonderful movie to watch that I would recommend every one, and not just anime or animation fans but fans of quality movies in general, should watch.
on 14 July 2014
This anime film by Mamoru Hosoda is one of the most touching anime films i have watched in a while. It will touch your heart strings as you watch the adventure of a girl called Hana a beautiful young woman who falls in love wth a wolf man straight out of a fairy tale

As their love life continues they give birth to two children who are half human half wolf but how do you raise up children who are half children half wolf? Well if you want to know the answers to this or just want to watch a very touching anime film that will tug the old heart strings then i would definitely recommend and buy this anime film as this will do all that and much more for you.
on 13 October 2016
Bought this as a gift for my sister. It has a beautiful story if you ignore the whole furry side to it. You know because a lady has children to a wolf. I did find myself cringing at times when things got a bit too furry. I didn't like the he ending either. But those are just my opinions as after all my sister loved it. The art was beautiful and the mother character she was very inspiring. I do reccomend this film.