Customer reviews

on 12 May 2016
Bought for my boy
Lorde, born Ella Yelich-O'Connor, has shot from obscurity to superstardom. This single "Royals" has been Number One in the US and is now performing a similar feat in the UK. The New Zealand singer appeared on Jools Holland a few weeks back and you immediately headed to internet to find out about this talent. Once the shock of her young age is absorbed you proceed to listen more carefully and conclude that "Royals" is a great piece of pop music. The opening verse of the song starts with the savvy lines that "I've never seen a diamond in the flesh/I cut my teeth on wedding rings in the movies/And I'm not proud of my address/In a torn-up town, no postcode envy". There are established stars still waiting for the inspiration to write lyrics that good. The song itself is about an attack on the religion of conspicuous consumption and pop glamour often wrongly associated as the driving motive for the average 16 year old.

Lorde cites influences like Burial and The Weeknd. The latter has returned the compliment and produced a much slowed up mix of this song which is well worth seeking out. While you are searching you may also stumble across numerous other mixes including one by Ross Hitchings (yuk), another by Magnifik (ok) and yet another by Wild Boyz (excellent). Lorde credits her unique sound to being a child of the internet age who can access an inexhaustible range of references. Let us hope therefore that she is a pioneer of a new generation of smart pop stars who use the net as sound magpies and push music forward. The question it begs is whether we are witnessing the birth of something new and lasting (remember Stevie Wonder was 16 on his first big hit) or is this another Lana Del Rey moment with a song becoming so ubiquitous that for while it seems to push everything else off the front page? With the her big song "Tennis Court" also threatening world domination you sense that there is the birth of rare real talent occurring and "Royals" is undoubtedly the second best pop single of 2013 (Daft Punk's "Get Lucky" is unbeatable). Ultimately we may also wish to reflect that its far more edifying and uplifting than watching a young girl swinging naked on a wrecking ball.
on 27 December 2014
excellent thanks
on 25 October 2013
Yes, I know, I'm 45. Popular music doesn't usually appeal to me until it's as old as I am . But I'm a sucker for ethereal harmony, and the lyrics aren't bad. The singer can actually write, and sing. Every time this came on the radio I stopped to listen, so figured I better buy a copy.
on 28 November 2013
The lyrics are IMHO a social observation. The melody is pleasing. The production quality is not top notch but it is still a track that I do enjoy listening to from time to time.

Ironically, a friend has sent me a bottle of Grey Goose. I intend to drink it whilst listening to this track ;)
on 10 November 2013
The lyrics is educational, the accompaniment is nicely arranged and the sound of the 16 year old has a soul within it. Thoroughly enjoyed the song and kept listening it on the radio, so I might as well have bought a legit MP3 copy of the song.
on 27 January 2014
Love it!

You either like it or hate it, probably the sign of a good song, I don't know, but I think it is one of the most original I have heard for quite a long time. You have to make up your own mind on this one.
on 2 November 2013
Occasionally in this crazy life, a song hits you between the eyes!
Instant love!
I listened to all the other songs by "Lorde" - & sadly, they havnt done anything else that is in the same league.
on 6 February 2014
Great, exceptional single, this has caused me to go nout and buy the album which is unusaul for me as I usually want to hear a couple of tracks first but this was so original I had no choice. highly reecommended
on 9 March 2014
Fresh clear acapella vocals take centre stage.
Backing from organic and perfectly restrained percussion.
A great hook.
Will have you singing along after a couple of listens.
Beautiful.