Man and Myth
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 25 February 2016
Old Roy fans like myself approach new releases with a little trepidation - they're usually decent but nowhere near as pleasing as his 70's output- but I was surprised Man and Mythe was so good. Lyrically it's up there with the best with poetic musings on mortality (especially The Stranger), the unreality of reality (Time is temporary/January Man) and classical themes on the sumptious epic Heaven is Here. I'll admit Roy's voice doesn't hit all the high notes and shies away from extended notes - he is in his eighth decade! - but his accoustic guitar work is still strong. Also, Bella Union (producers of so many splendid folk-rock albums) have done a great job with the packaging- the glossy booklet is lavishly illustrated with portraits of Roy in various guises and the all-important lyrics are there in full. Imperfect but impressive- can you think of another artist in their 70s who could release such a decent set of tunes? May Roy release more of this qualitywork before he too becomes the stuff of legend.
on 14 October 2013
I once went to a Harper concert ( dim and distant past) where he harangued the audience, accidentally damaged his guitar and walked off without playing a note. His music was a bit like that,difficult to know what you were going to get next. This contains pretty much the full Harper range and as always there are bits I prefer to others. But the ambition and passion are striking and its hard to imagine many artists prepared to take these risks. Some great playing and arrangements and the resulting album is like a mix of Hq and his earlier more accoustic sets. Whichever Harper you prefer you get it here.How refreshing to come back with this at seventy.
on 12 November 2013
I've been a fan of Roy since Flat Baroque and Berserk and still relish listening to him despite changing musical taste throughout my life.To me, he represents the tiny bit of anarchy that still remains in a corner of my psyche. His latest bout with the media machine does nothing to alter my opinion of his work. A thoughtful and multi-layered album such as Man and Myth deserves a wider audience than it will probably get.The album is , to quote an often used cliche, a slow burner. Nothing is ever immediately accessible on a Roy Harper album. You have to peel back the many layers both lyrically and musically to get it, and even then you are constantly challenged. This is, in a nutshell ,the best album he has produced in decades. Buy it and enjoy!
on 4 October 2013
I have been listening to Roy since I first stumbled upon him at a free gig at Essex Uni in 1970-71 (?) and have swung between loving his work to slightly not bothered, which is likely to be more about me than it is about this fine musician. Stumbling through the years he has often cropped up in my life at festivals and I well remember the set he did at Stonehenge one year (it is up there on Youtube and well worth a look) and other events where he never played the star. Just to add I very proudly took my eldest along to a gig of his son's (at the same age I first saw Roy) and the talent in this man's genes is so very apparent! We last saw Roy at Salisbury where some acid casualty harangued him, spoiling all our fun, but Roy dealt with it superbly. SO to this album.. 5 stars do not do it justice, many more are deserved. Stormcock has long been my most favourite album for many, many years, there is now a successor in my minds ears and this Troubadour has achieved true genius (again) and should be elevated to the National Treasure Status (he won't like too much) but definitely deserves. Well worth every penny.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 7 November 2013
Not a swansong but a well produced return to recording from Mr Harper this is a long look at life mortality interweaved with Greek myths and a lifetime of experience while this may not be entry level stuff it will tick all the boxes for the die hard fans as It is more of a band album than some of Roy's works from the 90's Guests include Andy Irvine Pete Townshend and Tony Franklin.
Roy and Jonathan Wilson have produced a work of beauty ,depth and reflection. Musically It has echoes of Prog rock as well as Celtic folk but it is mainly the furrow that RH has ploughed since the sixties This is not the work of a young man it is a statement As Roy says in the notes 'Our Heaven is here it is nowhere else'.An album for listening no short radio friendly songs it is to be listened to as it was intended as an album not a collection songs so go on and listen...
on 10 May 2016
A return to form, and perhaps one of his best ever albums. To me there were echoes of his past works, in a good way. Unmistakably Roy Harper throughout. Favourite track - The Stranger. If you like his classic albums (Stormcock, HQ), give this a listen.
on 27 October 2013
what roy will always deliver. His first album of new material in fourteen years, which will maybe at last earn him the recognition he's always deserved as one of the great singers and songwriters. Emotional power, spot on social critique, the use of a string section drawing out yet more beauty from the songs. And one man's journey around the myth of orpheus and eurydice can surely strike chords with any of us. Mr Harper continues strike chords with me like no other songwriter can. Favourite track i have to say is the relatively short and sweet "Time is Temporary". Also a great night at the festival hall last tuesday. Thanks Roy, and don't leave the crease just yet! You never will as far as I'm concerned, so there!
on 30 October 2013
I've just seen Roy, lost count of how many times before, at Escot, Beautiful Days festival, wonder-full, that so unique and so personal voice, very much alive and spitting - just like this new album... Almost '70ish, but softer guitar now, poignant lyrics, and voice like a favourite single malt.I haven't found a favourite track yet because the album is so well put together, prompting me to revisit a bit of vinyl and be amazed, again, at how lost I get in his storytelling, A real 'folk singer'.Thankyou.
on 4 November 2013
I grew up listening to all my big brother's Roy Harper's LPs - still know all the lyrics by heart. So when this came out I asked said brother if he'd like this for his birthday. He said: 'Sure why not, let's see what the old boy's up to these days.' - he loved it. Can't say fairer than that from a fan.
on 25 October 2013
Mr Harper has produced a very impressive album. His voice is still the sailing, souring, cutting scalpel. It's made me wade through my Harper vinyl. Folkjokepus is a true gem. Stormcock, possibly one of the best albums ever recorded.
Buy, listen and enjoy a true poet.