Customer reviews

Format: Audio Download|Change

on 8 June 2017
It's been a very long time since I read this book, so forgive me but my memory of the plot details and such are a little vague. Some things stand out vividly in my mind, though, even after nearly 20 years of absence. I remembered the sweet little children in the clock, the heartless coach master flailing the terrified horse, his arm moving with the assistance of a mechanical device in the void in his chest where his heart had been removed. I remember "the heart that is given must also be kept" and I remember that I loved it so much that it began a love affair with Pullmans work that has lasted most of my life. I don't know why it's taken me so long to buy another copy of this, my first true love, but I've ordered myself one and I eagerly await it, because a good plot and a good book are not one in the same.
on 21 January 2000
This is the first book I have read by Philip Pullman but it certainly won't be the last. This is a book which draws you in right from the start and leaves you thinking about it long after you've turned the last page. A mix of science fiction and fantasy which can be enjoyed by children and adults alike.
on 3 September 2017
Everyone should read this....young and old.
on 4 August 2017
Son loved this book
HALL OF FAMEon 18 April 2003
'Clockwork' is one of the miniature marvels of modern storytelling, a thrilling tale about good versus evil, kindness versus selfishness and life versus art. The tape, read by Anton Lesser, has just kept my children spellbound in the car for its entire duration.
The great clock of Glockenheim (which really exists)features clockwork figures that come out and move at different times of day or year, and the prospect of a new one by Karl, the clock-maker's apprentice is an event that has people coming from far and wide. On the eve of this great event, a number of people gather in the local inn to hear the latest story by Frtiz, a novelist, who is famed for his hair-raising tales. The one he tells tonight is about their ruler, Prince Otto, who returned from a hunting expedition with his little son Florian, with no heart, only a piece of clockwork that caused him to lash and lash his horses...
Just so, says the narrator, is a story wound up - and this is a tale as finely balanced as a work by the sinister Dr.Kalemenius. How can a little clockwork Prince find a new heart? How can Karl redeem himself from not having fulfilled his contract?
A marvellous, creepy, wise and funny story about a Faustian pact and storytelling itself, it's perfect for children of 7 upwards.
on 26 January 2005
I've read Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials trilogy and his Sally Lockhart quartet, and loved both series, and I'd been considering buying this for some time. I only got round to it a few days ago, and I'm so glad I did - it's an absolutely fantastic story, brilliantly constructed and written. Don't be put off by its appearance as a "kid's book" - I'm in my 20s and was blown away by it. It has the feel of a Brothers Grimm fairy tale. There are quirky characters, magical and scary creations, and a wonderful atmosphere. What's so impressive about it is the way the story is constructed - just like, as the title suggest, clockwork. It's told in two separate parts, which both lead up to a third part when the two stories come together - but the second part is very much a part of the first part, seen from a different point of view. There are also insightful and amusing little asides on almost every page, little snippets of information, like the little cogs that all add up to make a clock work. You get little pieces of the puzzle, and finally everything comes together and makes sense at the end - it is a fantastic story. Overall, a wonderful book by Philip Pullman, who has the amazing ability to write stories that appeal to both adults and children. I can't wait to read more of his fairy tales.
on 15 March 2007
Clockwork by Philip Pullman is one of the most gripping and entertaining books I have ever read, it has thrills and leaves you on a cliff hanger on almost every page.

I read it in about 3 or 4 days, it's one of those books which you start reading thinking you might not like it, then after a chapter you can't put the book down. It was the first Philip Pullman book I've read, and now I can't wait to read another one of his books, or even read Clockwork again.

I'd recommend it by far, and would you believe that I came across this book in my school.(WHAT A GREAT BOOK TO PICK!!)

From Romelly aged 10
11 Comment| 31 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 3 July 2009
Clockwork Review - Green Table

The story sets in Germany with Herr Ringer man - the famous clockwork maker and his new apprentice Karl , but when he gets a task, he finds it formidable. Will he survive from all the powerful pressure.

Our opinion is that clockwork is a excellent novel with mystery which will drag you into the biggest investigation . we really liked the ending because it was not like fairy tales for example ` they lived happily ever after. `
s
There are so many quirky characters like Karl the apprentice and Dr Kalmenius , Price Otto , Gretel and Fritz.

I strongly recommend this fantastic tale of fantasy for children and adults . Over all we rate this book 5 stars and would also recommend this book to any person who likes horror and mysteries.

Reviewed by Akwasi and Co (Year 6)
This is a book I read when I was much younger and thought I'd revisit. I really love reading these old(ish) books now and sharing with people, and hopefully getting a few to read them!

This is a very short read - I'm sure it was much bigger when I was younger! - but it is full of a very creepy kind of charm. Pullman paints a beautiful picture in a wintery German village with a wonderful clock who's clockwork figures are marveled at from all over the world and which you'd have to watch the whole year round to see each piece come out. It's so magical and picturesque.

Even as an adult, I still found the story very creepy. It reads like a cross between a Grimm tale and a Victorian fairy tale and the overall effect is equal parts charming and sinister. The different threads of the story weave perfectly together to create the perfect quick and scary read.

Alongside the story there are little comments and asides from the narrator with lovely little pictures to go with them. These sometimes add a little more background information on characters and places, or just little warnings from the narrator to his characters. Because, as he says, once a story is wound up, there's no stopping it.

I'm going to end with a quote because I loved it so much:

"For every once upon a time there must be a story to follow, because if a story doesn't, something else will and it might not be as harmless as a story."
on 25 November 2003
it is a great book by a great author, Phillip Pullman has really tried to take you into the pages and release the magic and he has succeded i would recommend it to anyone who enjoys mysteries, it is a great investigation for all.