on 18 May 2017
This is the second of these I have bought, so I now have them in both back and front gardens. They really do keep cats away. A new cat had taken to visiting my back garden and the same day I put this device out the cat arrived, looked around and fled! Not seen him since. The batteries are charged by solar power so no need to keep changing them, the device in my front garden has been there well over a year. Highly recommend this if your neighbourhood cats use your garden as a toilet!
on 4 April 2018
These looked good but the cats soon learned to avoid them so short of having dozens of them to protect quite a small garden, I think netting will have to be the better bet. However the other thing I discovered is that the solar panel is only strong enough to charge the internal battery if it is in direct and very strong sunlight. Consequently all mine ran down and stopped working. There is no way to charge them from an external source. So pretty useless in my view.
on 7 June 2017
Only lasted a few months before it stopped working. Got this as an alternative to the MegaSonic Cat Repeller, a few of which I have bought before, but was disappointed by that type of repeller. Seems like none of them like the rain, cold and frost - which you think they are designed to cope with.
on 29 August 2014
The Pestbye works well to keep cats off lawns and gardens. You will find that if there is low ambient light levels and the unit gets triggered often, the unit will need to be turned off for at least 3 days to fully charge. I have 3 units and they have all had malfunctioning issues caused by I believe low battery power, e.g. either the red LED doesn't light or the ultrasonic sound distorts and becomes audible to humans. I have observed that allowing the units to charge over 3 days the issues appear to have been cured. Maybe the solar panel and batteries are inadequate or maybe the time between triggers needs to be greater to conserve power or maybe the units are triggered by plant movement??
on 5 December 2013
I bought two of these and would have written a good review as cats kept away initially but of the two i bought one was triggered by anything and it was hard to find an area with no waiving foliage nearby. Result was flat battery as soon as sun went in. Second unit just stopped working after about a month. First one had already stopped by then. Cats now back. Solar is a good idea but my experience was that these don't last for even a month. Suggest you look at timing of favourable reviews as mine would have been good on day one, and decide whether i just got a bad batch. I'm looking for better quality ones now.
2 people found this helpful
on 15 April 2014
I gave these four stars back in April after we had bought one and then purchased two more as it was so easy to use and seemed to be deterring the cats from our garden.
Unfortunately 3 months on they seem to have got used to it. Maybe being in town its just another noise and they've got used to it but in the last week I've seen two cats in the garden and evidence of a visit in the gravel.

We took them out while we had some fences put up so I've put them back hoping that it will be a new noise and deter the cat until I can get another of the ones we had before that work on batteries and seemed to work for over a year so long as you replaced the batteries.

These would be great as they are so simple to use but I think the over sensitive sensor has meant they make a constant noise rather than a noise when a cat passes and at least our local cats can live with that and so it no longer does the job
on 24 October 2017
bought two. first worked a treat and did the job so bought another one.. (which packed up after two weeks... the first has packed up after 6 months, so basically not fit for purpose).
on 12 August 2014
Bought this for a fox problem we had and also for neighbouring cats. As other reviews have mentioned the results are at best mixed. In our case it no effect at all on the cats because they are old and probably going deaf. The foxes seemed to avoid going near to it but just walked around it - about six or eight feet away it seemed not to bother them.

Having said that, the unit itself is decently well built and unobtrusive visually but obviously needs to be in a sunny spot. The solar panel is quite large and seemed to be enough to power it properly day and (via built in solar charged battery) night.
on 22 June 2014
Cats were regularly marking their territory in the usual way, on my decking, causing me much grief. Since installing this solar powered cat repellant, no more cat pee noticeable at all for the past 2 weeks, so it clearly works! But my decking has a transparent roof above it, so it does not rain on the device at all and the sun still gets through to recharge the batteries via its solar panel. I have just ordered a second identical repellant, for the front of the house, so I don't see the cats peeing on my car wheels any longer, but again I shall place the device in a dry place, as I have taken note of the other customers' previous comments.
on 22 July 2014
Seems to have worked.......NO CAT POO !!!!!!!! [ Well 3 actually ] since installed..We bought two units.. We only have a small garden but the CATS thought it was heaven after the Dogs died....So set them up in a cross fire type arrangement....This worked fine...I then thought I would move the units so that they covered different [slightly] areas of the garden.....we then had ONE rather large one right in the middle ????? Deaf old cat may be !!.. Checked the units and they where not now in a good position for the Sun... Moved and all OK...Next came the rather soft one that was right on the edge of setting one OFF and Right beside it...I think that one might have been a bit unintended. Found another under the hedgerow..moved the unit so it fired directly..NONE further.......They still wonder across the patio sometimes, and along the fence tops. But they do not hang around long...If I listen sometimes I can hear the units clicking [bit like Triffids] and nothing is there to set them of ??? So may be that helps to remind the *******Cats they are on patrol.....We are getting a lot of sunshine at the moment...Wait and see the winter performance tho.....other wise I would Highly Recommend....DH..ps no CATS were harmed in this report...[Unfortunatly]