on 29 September 2013
I can only say that this book was strange in the extreme. It started out really well, with Daisy going to say at her friend's house while her friend, an Oscar winning actress was out of the country filming. She meets up with Molly who takes her under her wing and decides to take her on a shopping spree to get a "new" her! All good. Then, the book just goes a bit weird, with loads of different characters being thrown at the reader and Daisy becoming famous, simply because of a dress she wears. She quickly becomes tabloid fodder and then all hell breaks loose! The real tragedy of this novel is that, deep down, there is a brilliant story, with a woman who is striving towards a new life and looking for new experiences. The reactions of her daughter, who is SO straight, it hurts, are very real but everything else in the book is just too much - too confusing, too many characters, too much going on. At one point I felt like I must have taken some of the mind-altering drugs that the characters in the book were taking because I felt like things were happening around me but I had no idea what was going on and who anybody was! A strange, strange little book. . . and I don't even know if I am glad I made it to the end! I can only say that I am delighted that it was free when I downloaded it!
on 17 July 2015
A good natured little story about the caterpillar to butterfly metamorphosis of Daisy Wilder. Nothing too original in the basic story line of 'down trodden woman breaks free and becomes an overnight social sensation' but Giles Curtis really is very naughty and very funny and in some respects this renders the storyline superfluous as it merely becomes the framework to hang the jokes on. I have read several of this authors books and they are unfailingly entertaining.
on 30 July 2013
From the moment I picked up the book I found myself completely absorbed in it. The Characters are hilarious and the plot thoroughly entertaining. The writing style is great and there are occasional touching moments where you feel that you can relate to certain characters! Great read, funny throughout; I would highly recommend it to everyone. More from this author please.
on 28 August 2013
Daisy Wyler is a newly divorced, middle-aged, respectable housewife. Needing a break from her former home in a gossipy village community, she goes to London to stay in the flat owned by her friend Sally, an Oscar winning actress. Sally is away working in Hollywood but things change quite rapidly and as Daisy's week progresses, she embarks on a new life full of wilder and wilder twists and turns. This book breaks a whole host of writing rules and does it brilliantly. The huge cast of characters carry the story forward in ways that are both clever and funny. The viewpoint switches from character to character give the reader the insight they need to understand and relate to each one as they appear. It's a great story that will give hope to anyone who finds herself in Daisy's situation and also Grace, her highly respectable and well-behaved daughter. I particularly enjoyed the tennis match scenes, which added a whole new dimension to the story and formed one of many similar cameos that captured the imagination throughout the book. A great read and although I'm not sure there was anything 'gentle' about it, I would definitely recommend both the book and the author.
on 31 January 2016
The book is a great comedy romp, that gets better as you turn each page. The characters have a life of their own, which are just outstanding in their connections. The book was given a 5 star rating as it was just so funny and captivating
on 23 September 2013
I read loads of books and usually enjoy most stories. I found this one very strange however, I didn't find there was much of a storyline and the part in the middle where they stole a jet.... well just found this bit completely different from the rest of the book and completely far fetched. I found the book quite confusing, there was no real depth to any of the characters, it was as though the writer had tried to give the characters wee side story lines but felt they were all quite weak. Was very disappointed with this book.
on 15 September 2013
I wanted to really like this book after reading the reviews but was sadly disappointed. It was just too far fetched to me and somewhat confusing as the editing was poor in places.
There were so many characters in the story it was hard to feel any emotion towards any of them and all became a bit of a jumble towards the end-which wasn't really an end just seemed to run out of steam!
I wasn't surprised it was written by a man as there was a lot of mention of the female characters' breasts which I found inadvertently funny as I don't think most women are that preoccupied by them!
on 16 August 2013
Giles Curtis pokes fun at many sacred cows in this excellently paced and tightly written new novel: mid life crises, acting folk, celebrity culture and the media, tennis clubs and privilege to name but a few. The liberation of Daisy from the shackles of her failed marriage opens up a new world of fun and frolics which are amplified by the constant refusal of the vivid cast of characters to confront their demons or tell the truth, preferring instead to our another drink and blunder on. Lots of laughs throughout, particularly if you identify with any of the targets for Curtis' wicked sense of humour.
on 28 August 2013
I've really enjoyed this story but why oh why hasn't someone edited it properly. There are words missed out or mis-used. The character names haven't been picked up - in one chapter the tennis coach is talking about Gracie and in the next sentence it to Daisy. This seems to be continuously through the story. What a shame for Giles Curtis who has written such a funny book.
It is worth a read but the editor should be hung up by his/her dictionary.
on 15 August 2013
The story line was silly with too many different characters involved. It was obvious what author trying to do by having separate story lines that all come together as a whole but it wasn't well done. Thankfully a freebie