Customer reviews

Slow Burn: Zero Day, Book 1
Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£0.99

on 21 March 2017
All I can say, utterly brilliant I found it difficult to put the damn thing down. Highly recommend this book, and the author.
on 12 May 2014
I came on this book more or less by accident and was very pleasantly surprised by its somewhat different take on a genre that has been pretty much done to death in recent years. I like the characters and the story line is interesting and has plenty of scope for development. Looking forward to reading the next one.
on 22 April 2014
Whilst scanning for my next read, i came upon this book. With no great expectations, but with no complaints as it was free, i started reading. Almost straight away i became engrossed. The book catapulted me into buying the rest. In summary all I can say is that the series is great. A real roller-coaster ride. Thanks Bobby, keep 'em coming
on 7 August 2013
Was not sure if i was going to like this book at the beginning,as a character was slow burn as the author puts it.Wow was totally hooked as the story unfolded,well done Bobby x
on 11 September 2013
slow start but the book just got better as it went on, love the two main characters. cant wait for the new installment
on 17 May 2017
Going to eat at his mother's house and beg her for rent money is not high on Zed's list of fun days out-neither is finding her mauled and his zombie stepdad biting him. After passing out from the fever of the infected bite and ending up arrested for murder, Zed is in jail when all hell breaks loose in town. Even if he can escape, is there anywhere safe?

I liked Zed. He is the original anti-hero, a guy who is a bit of a waster and scrounges money from his parents, and knows pretty much nothing about surviving prison or zombie apocalypses. He has no clue how to identify a brand of weapon never mind use a gun, which is refreshing, or how to hot wire cars. He relies on Murphy to help him escape. Murphy is a great character and I get the image of Michael Clarke Duncan(The Green Mile, Armageddon)when I think of him. Zed and Murphy are well developed characters who aren't superheroes, who get things wrong and who get into trouble. They are believable and real, and this is part of why I liked the book. You are certainly rooting for them, which is a must in a zombie book!

It's not easy to find a different kind of zombie plot without it going too far away from traditional zombies, but this book has something different. There are those who are infected and die straight away, coming back as zombies. Then there are those like Zed who survive the initial infection-'slow burners' who aren't zombies but they aren't fully human now either and nobody knows when they will turn so nobody trusts them. Slow burners can evade the zombies in some cases but not in others which was intriguing. We get a small bit of back story on the outbreak in Africa without info dumps or lots of scientific stuff-for the most part Zed and the reader are both guessing about what else is happening with government and infection rates.

The plot itself is good. This is a zombie book that is FULL of zombie attacks and dangerous situations, sneaking around looking for supplies, rescues, crazy plans...all the things you want in your book. The action sequences are well written and explosive and there is a good mixture of gore and tension throughout. I'm hoping to get a look at the second part depending on price but I recommend this to traditional zombie and horror fans.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 17 April 2014
First off, I know glowing reviews of kindle books may be suspect - so please check my profile. I am a fairly prolific reviewer, and this is my first ever review of a self published book - in large part because I don't like bashing new authors, and I've found so few worthy of a good review. I read constantly, and review for several sites. The largest part of my disposable income goes on books, so when I say something is among the best I have ever read, it is facing some competition. I won't go as far as to say this is the very best - I still class Richard Matheson's Omega Man as the best post apocalyptic fiction ever, and The Walking Dead, the original series as close second, but this is definitely up there. I estimate that I read 7 - 10 books per week, but this figure includes children's books ( I home educate my sons).

Zombie books right now are coming out in hordes. As several reviewers have commented genre has been done to death, and while there are some excellent books out there, all too many have left me bored to death as well. Anyone can write slash and bash, blood and brains with a few plucky survivors holed up in what they hope is safe location - but of course it never it is. Adair however has breathed new life into the genre with a completely novel approach to the genre and the character development of a very seasoned author with a rare gift.

Adair's main hero becomes infected early on, and my first thoughts were "Oh No - Not another Hatred". Thankfully I kept reading, because this turned out to be a completely unique twist as the virus in Adair's books has several shades of grey in between the black and white of zombie and human. The characters in this book are very well developed, especially Zed, an imperfect hero, but human - despite being infected and I prefer flawed heroes to the unrealistic knight in shining armour type. Everything about this book is as realistic and believable as one could possibly could with a zombie plague - and btw they are not really undead - simply plague infected.

This is a fast moving action based adventure which will leave you unable to put it down - but it in spite of all the action, it is a book that makes you think as well. What makes us human - what makes some of into monsters? How would we react in an apocalyptic event? It examines prejudices - with a few delightful jabs at racism, but not in a preachy manner, simply encouraging the reader to examine their own beliefs.

I don't have any major criticisms of this book. I caught a couple of typos in the second book, but I find typos in books from top publishers as well. I did not find any in this one, so the editing was very well done. I could have done without Zeds mantra " The ogre and the harpy", but it wasn't enough to reduce my pleasure in reading this book so I won't take anything off. I'd love to see Murphy share the spotlight with Zed a bit more in future books, but the only major complaint I have with this series is having to wait for book 5. I read book 1 in a single night and bought the next 3 books the next day.

If you enjoy apocalyptic fiction - I can't recommend this book highly enough. Even if you aren't a fan of zombie books, I would strongly recommend checking this one out. I can't say that I have a specific genre of books I enjoy. I read so many different types of fiction as well as non-fiction. What I do like is a very well written book with a good plot, well developed characters and which gives some insight into the human condition. This book ticks all the boxes for me, and earns Adair a place with the true masters of the genre like Matheson, King, and Wyndham.
So this review will also be in the box set of books 1-3. I will be reviewing each of those books individually.

So as anyone knows I really enjoy zombie books and this one was no different. In Zero Day we are quickly introduced to the character Zed. The book starts off pretty fast and keeps up with the fast pace through out the whole book. We get our first encounter with a zombie within a few chapters. We aren't sure how at first the virus came to be but we hear from others that Zed encounters and what they learned from the internet. It seems some people are immune but what does that exactly mean? Zed while visiting his mother walks into a horrific scene and ends up getting bit by his step-father. When Zed ends up killing him days later the police tell him how he did it and Zed finds himself in a different world than what he started out in on a regular Sunday.
With the help of Murphy a guy he meets in jail they are on their own until Murphy gets bit as well and Zed tries to not only survive for himself but help Murphy as he doesn't want to leave him behind.
It is a race against trying to not get eaten, get killed from those that are uninfected to learning how to survive, escaping and it doesn't help when he puts himself in situations to save others and it puts him in even more danger.
Now Zed is a good character but for a degree in philosophy he at times didn't seem to bright, though why he wants to be a hero and save other survivors when he doesn't even know how to farm is beyond me.
At times things were repetitive such as him bringing up farming, and more farming. Yes we get you like farming and you want to farm because it is the end of the world but we don't have to be told a lot of times. So this is why it is a four.
If you are wanting something fast paced, full of zombies, not a whole lot of gore (to me anyways), then get this book. Where it ends will have you wanting to get book two if you haven't already.
on 28 October 2014
I read a lot of Kindle indie authors - if they've given me a book, I'll give them a couple of hours' time - and my first compliment is that after reading Zero Day, I bought the rest of the series.

Criticisms first. Characterisation is a bit flat and situations somewhat generic. There isn't the precise, specific language that makes you feel you're there in the room, not much poetry in the prose that makes the reading enjoyable over and above the storyworld. But I'm guessing Adair is a young author still learning his trade, and this is a creditable first effort.

Likes next. The best thing is the twist: the main character is a zombie. (Sort of.) One of the percentage who, in real life, WOULD exist: the few who just don't die from the virus. A great idea, especially since he's a stoner philosophy graduate and hardly the kind of ex-cop or grizzled Marine you usually see taking a leading role.

Second, the breakdown in civilisation is gradual. The lights are still on, the internet still works, but it's all dying slowly, as it would in real life. Let's face it, the first thing we'd do in real life is check the Internet, not search for food. Adair reminds us how useless and groping for inspiration most of us would be.

Third, the Infected here are believable. They run and have senses; they're not so much dangerous as gross. And there are degrees of them, from fully brain-dead to just a bit mad. (Of which the narrator is one end of the spectrum.)

So - a decent read, well worth the low prices for the rest of the series. Happily recommend.
on 12 June 2014
I read part 1 of Slow Burn as part of The End apocalyptic compendium and was so engrossed that I had to read part 2 straight away, then part 3 and 4.
What I like is how this novel does not just focus on Zeds survival but also the evolvement of the zombies. This is a concept very rarely seen in other zombie or post apocolyptic books I have read. Now I cant wait for book 5.