on 8 June 2017
I was looking for a ds that I could use for the mean time while I'm living here in England, and this is a very good buy!! I was worried that it was going to be too small, but it was just the right size and fit in my hands perfectly! I am very satisfied with my purchase. Along with this I brought the Legend of Zelda: A link between worlds. I am very much enjoying it.
review image review image
on 20 April 2017
Was a replacement for one my son broke. Gave it to him for Easter. He is really happy with this system.
on 8 October 2015
Perfect gift for xmas.
on 25 July 2017
Great job 👍🏽
I'm more of a portable gamer than a hardcore first-person-shoot-em-up gamer. I play RPGs and Mario Kart on the move rather than sit in front of the telly blasting my way through a hi-def extravaganza, I'm not knocking the PlayStation, Xbox and Wii-U fans out there, it just doesn't fit in with my (not very) hectic lifestyle. Anyway, I love my 3DS-XL and the first time I saw a 2DS I thought it was the most hideous thing I'd seen since the original Nintendo-DS (the chunky thing before they re-modelled it into a thing of beauty). It didn't feel solid and my impression was that it was for kids who may fall and break the hinge of the 3DS/3DS-XL - but then I played on it...

The 2DS is essentially a 3DS (they play the same game cartridges), it differs because it has no hinge or 3D, or stereo speakers. I never use 3D and if I want to immerse myself in the sound then I use earphones so that's not an issue. The lack of hinge was a concern for me, and the truth is that a 2DS isn't quite as portable as it doesn't fold in half. I saw the 2DS as a valid option for a child and was more than happy with my 3DS-XL which I personally think is the most beautiful of the 3DS family of devices. My main issue with the clamshell 3DS design however is the shoulder buttons, they are okay for occasional pressing in games, but for games like Mario Kart which have me almost constantly using them (for weapons and drifting) I get incredibly bad aches. If I pick up a 3DS (or XL) and play Mario Kart 7 I have to contort my fingers in order to access the circle pad, the accelerate buttons and the L&R buttons - it's okay for a race or two but after 10 minutes or so my hands are crippled with the effort.

Anyway, when the circle pad on my 3DS-XL broke I switched to a 2DS, the first thing I noticed was how much more comfortable it is to hold. It rests more naturally in the hands. The L&R shoulder buttons are massive and curve from the top along the sides of the 2DS - I didn't have to contort my fingers into unnatural formations to play Mario Kart competitively! As I said previously, it was only after a few minutes of intense racing that my fingers would start to hurt on the 3DS-XL, but on the 2DS I could play for hours without the same problem.

In a nutshell: I now use a 2DS, I still think the 3DS-XL is prettier but it's also considerably more expensive. It might have 90% bigger screens (which I miss), but the truth is that they are the same resolution even if they are bigger - so the smaller screens on the 2DS contain the same level of detail and actually appear sharper as it's the native resolution of the games. Actually, the 2DS has just 1 screen, the plastic facia of the console separates it into the top and lower screens - manufacturing 1 screen is cheaper than creating 2, that's the main reason that this is less expensive than the other variants. The 2DS is a fantastic console which may have been dismissed as the `child' option - but it should be considered on its own merit: It's cheaper, it plays the same games (just without 3D). Some may be put off by the form factor because it doesn't slip as easily into a pocket, but the clincher for me is that it offers greater comfort. I may prefer the style of the 3DS-XL, but I simply can't play on it how I want to because some games hurt my hands after a while, but the 2DS offers a solution to that and I can finally start playing Mario Kart online and hope to be competitive!

And now I look at it - it's not that ugly is it? Actually, I've grown quite fond of it.
on 16 December 2013
As an adult occasional gamer ( I didn't have all these shiny toys as a child! ) I own an iPad and associated Apple products and have had all of the DS condoles as they came out.
When I got the 3DS I thought ' Wow ' but always ended up switching the 3D off when I felt my eyes were being pulled out of my head!!
I then upgraded to the 3DSXL which was an improvement for the 3D but again I would end up switching it off as my middle aged eyes got tired! With the 3D switched off I became more aware of the poor resolution on the larger screen ( not a Nintendo strong point )
So when I was doing a recent trade-in the young sales man mentioned the 2DS and how popular it has been - curiosity took over and I thought I would give it a try.....
SO pleased I did - I LOVE it....
Why? you may ask....
Firstly replace the negative review words ( ugly, cheap, downgrade etc ) with - Retro - Tough - Fun - Simple - took delivery this morning and have been happily playing for last hour or so - it is very comfortable to hold and use - buttons well placed etc - mono speaker makes little difference - smaller screen gives better quality picture even if smaller - feels a bit strange to not close after use and really must have a case ( always have had cases anyway ) it is now on charge so not sure about battery life yet?!
I guess there will be room for improvement but that and battery life aside - it is what it is - a bright, funky and fun little game device which does not deserve the criticism being thrown at it - I would definitely recommend it and think any youngsters ( or oldies ) getting one for Christmas will be very lucky...!!
66 Comments| 133 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 13 October 2013
I got this yesterday from Amazon. Unlike the 1 star review I actually own the console. If Mr Scrabble 42 dosent see the point of this then the city I live in It is sold out in most high street stores.

Ive owned all 3 versions of the 3DS. The great 3d effect dosent work for me like a very large portion of people with glasses or without its completely pointless.

So my first 3ds was fine (with 3d switched off)but having big hands it was bloody uncomfortable to play also the srteetpass system was hit or miss if it worked on it. It also just fitted in my pocket.

Then upgraded to the 3DSXL. Ugly machine & was hardly pocket sized. Eventually it broke. But like the DSIXL it had a creak on the face plate near the Dpad.

So when I first saw this I was what. But after seeing some of the unboxing & previews of it at £109 I thought Id take the gamble. So got it yesterday it comes with a charger & in the flesh it looks much better. Build quality was my main concern but it is a solid console. Instead of the hinge it has a sleep button. (this slides & locks into place). Very comfortable to hold.
Have used it 10 hours or so & no hand cramps.

Also it only has one speaker. Which wasnt a deal breaker as I normally use head phones. But the sound out of the one speaker isnt to shabby at all. Also the streetpass seems to be more responsive.

Lets face it 3d is just a gimmick that seems to be dying out again. (how many 3d channels on sat tv). But comming out same time as new Pokemon & at £109 this will be a number 1 seller for xmas.

Would also recommend the official red & blue cases for it. They have a heavy duty zip, hold 3 game carts & come in a nice blue or red neoprene cover with Nintendo logo on it.

One other thing it fits in my jacket pocket & my back pocket of my jeans. :P
77 Comments| 193 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 12 October 2014
This is the console that got such mixed opinions. It's Marmite really, you either love this or you hate it. I was fascinated by it and then people started to try it out and say it was very comfortable and great so I just had to try it. I've traded it in since, but it's not because I don't like the console, but I have a 3DS XL and I just much prefer the bigger screen so I can't get myself to want to have this, but it really is a nice console to hold. Buttons are in a nice place and it works like a charm. I recommend it to people easily. Screen Size was literally the problem for me being an owner with an XL version, but if I never had one before, I would probably have had this and kept with it.
on 20 July 2017
great
on 27 December 2014
We have recently bought this for our 5 year old.
We have had a few of the other DS's but find they always seem to end up damaged and the hinge part borken.
so we decided on this as it doesnt fold to close.
its been great. there is an awful lot on it for such a small device.
A brilliant investment for the gaming family.