on 5 August 2013
Great book. This isnt a quick fix or something you might flick through in an evening, theres plenty to keep you occupied and to practice. The CAGED system makes sense and is easy to follow. The book itself is well laid out with examples and TABS, and the audio files (available from the website) are clearly recorded.
I would recommend this book to anyone who wants to improve their rock soloing, if you follow the examples and exercises you will see an improvement in your playing in a few weeks.
on 26 May 2014
Brilliant concept
Lot of memorisation needed however :(
The 5 pentatonic positions came relatively easily and was a major success

Then having to learn another set of 5 positions and scales for each of the other 3 modes presented was hard, and to be honest switched me off - why?
Well apart from saying "here a few songs that use this mode" I still haven't worked out when one would choose , or how to work out which mode a chain song is "in". Maybe I'm wrong, but I sort of missed any guidance in the book of why / when I would use the mixolydian and ect modes.

Don't get me wrong, this book was great value and the theory / system is good.
Just that gap being filled might help

I bought this at the same time as Robert Pillitiere's book. The two in combination are excellent. Pillitiere's gives a MUCH MUCH simpler way of learning EVERY mode with just 3 finger shapes and a simple pattern that is infinitely easier to remember than all of the different fingering scales in the CAGED system - and I mean infinitely easier. I can now play any of the 7 modes, from any note from any string - all from one evening's reading.

So, CAGED move me onto being a much more accomplished guitarist in the first couple of chapters, then I added Pillitiere's system and within 3 evenings in total,mi understand about all of the modes, and I can play them all with the minimum of memorisation.

The licks are interesting however and useful as a basis of the whole book, and that's why overall I give the book 4 - so you can see and hear examples on how to use the modes / scales
I am still having trouble accessing them via the ipad - might be a problem at my end however
on 22 November 2015
I bought this book to expand on what I'd learned from other logical fretboard knowledge books. This was written in language I could understand together with easy to grasp concepts. The framework I now have to hang all my soloing on is now locked into my technique thanks to Joseph's tuition. I was particularly keen to introduce more major scale soloing into my style, with Joseph's explanation of a number of major modes and how they figure in to the aforementioned framework I can now jam with confidence anytime anyplace anywhere whereas before if it wasn't blues-based Rock I was in trouble. This book is an essential tool in your constant quest for improvement on the guitar. For the book and all the tracks and licks available on the provided link the value for money is outstanding. How much is a one to one guitar lesson these days? QED!!
on 1 March 2016
My guitar teacher has been working with me on the CAGED system and I felt I needed something to break it down further and that I could use to work on it in my own time. Scanned the book and the layout looks clear, logical and easy to understand. Started working on the blues scale this week and already I understand so much more about how the CAGED system works. As with all things guitar, the trick is to realize that it takes time to get this stuff down. Patience will be required especially as I'm a slow learner. I reckon that if I stick with it, this book will open up the fretboard for me.
on 14 May 2014
Having played for a number of years and wanting to expand my theory knowledge, i purchased this book based on reviews and recommendations.
I was not diasappointed. it's an excellent read and very useful for anyone who wishes to learn the fretbroad in an easy concise manner, without the waffle. only quality instruction here.
The addition of downloadable mp3 excercises is a massive bonus.
I have since purchased the complete techniques book as well.

Thanks Joseph.
on 1 August 2017
Easy to read and understand. Very informative and will be buying more of these books in the near future
on 8 July 2017
Excellent book covers the uncaged theory in an easy to understand way!
on 28 July 2013
i am always on the lookout for something in the advanced rock/blues genre. when i saw this book, my first thought was that the title was very close to the blues guitar caged and 100 licks by the same author, and i was in two minds as to whether to buy it because i thought the material would be very similar. For the sake of a fiver, i decided to give it a go. I was very impressed with the exercises and the whole system in general, to the point that i spent the whole night reading it and could not put it down until i had done. Needless to say it is not the same as the blues guitar book.

I am very much looking forward to spending the next few months working on the exercises, some of the systems used here are gold dust. There are ideas for using scales that I had not considered, so it was worth much more to me than i payed just to learn those concepts. There are exercises using licks that the book provides that are really stretching and some very good ideas that i will use in my own work. Everything is presented very clearly and time is taken to explain the concepts in fine detail with audio examples to make sure that you have fully grasped the points made.

This book is not aimed at the total beginner, you will need to have a basic grasp of chords and some understanding of what scales are. There is another book by the same author 15 essential beginner lessons, which is a good place to start. But if you have been playing a few months or many years you will find this invaluable.
on 1 August 2013
I now have a small collection of Joseph Alexander's guitar books which I have found to be well written, concise and accurate.
Rock Guitar Un-CAGED is no exception, complementing the earlier Blues volume with a good balance of instruction and, most importantly, practical examples.
The audio files and backing tracks with each book are a great bonus and I really value the PDF versions as I am able to print topics and "mix and match" them to build a personalised practice routine.
Not for beginners, but a fabulous resource for advancing guitar players.
on 8 September 2014
I've been playing maybe three or four years, and certainly don't have an exhaustive knowledge of the instruction books available. However, I had tried for a while to make sense of the CAGED system. Online lessons glossed over it too quickly for me to grasp what it all meant. I think I needed something more structured, and in writing, for the system to sink in. The book has helped the pieces fall into place. As the cover says, it gives a good overview of CAGED and progressive examples of how to use it with guitar licks. The paper lessons were backed by audio examples, which I used for guidance and to check I was on the right track. I also keep the book nearby as a ready-reckoner of scales and licks. I found I still needed patience and commitment to come to grips with CAGED, but I think I am getting there.