Learn more Download now Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle New Album - Morrissey Learn more Shop Women's Shop Men's

Customer reviews

McAfee AntiVirus Plus 2014 - 3 User - 1 Year (PC)
Platform: Frustration-Free Packaging|Change
Price:£19.99

VINE VOICEon 9 February 2014
Platform: Frustration-Free Packaging|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is a great product, it is quick to install, very straight forward and good for someone not particularly technically minded that doesn't want complicated options and varied settings - this is simply - install and it does the rest, you update it occassionally which is done at the click of a button. The better option was to download which didn't take long.

I haven't had any problems with this on my laptop, it hasn't affected the speed or performance and hasn't conflicted with any existing programs already on my computer. It does everything at a reasonable price. Not too many annoying pop-ups, a great price too,
highly recommended.
VINE VOICEon 25 February 2014
OK I am not a tekkie so there will be no review here of its ins and outs just a bog standard user who needs an anti virus on her PC. I have used McAfee before and been perfectly happy with it and I have also used Norton and been happy with it and so you pays your money and you takes your choice. I have had no problems with either of these programmes though I do wish that the constant popping up of little boxes telling me what they are doing mildly annoying. I dont really want to know how may sweeps they are doing, just get on with it,.

One thing I would always recommend and that is not to download anti virus programmes but use the physical CD in your package. In the past I have suffered severe problems with downloads sticking and causing me problems with my laptop. One year downloading Norton crashed and crippled my laptop so badly that it was wrecked. Turned out that AOL which I used at the time was incompatible with Norton and the results was disaster. I had to purchase a new computer and correspondence and complaints to Noton and AOL were ignored.

However, since changing my operating system and avoiding AOL at all costs I have had no trouble since using both Norton and McAfee successfully over the last five years. I have no particular customer loyalty to either of them, I just take the one that is better value for money but feel that McAfee has the edge in terms of efficiency and information.

Mark you, 24 hours after placing the McAfee on my laptop, my email account was hacked, my address stolen and used and incoming emails diverted to an address in the Ukraine......

Just saying
on 15 May 2014
McAfee have a great reputation and on the basis of this software it is deserved.
Though I personally did have a problem once with some of their AntiVirus software slowing down my computer

It is easy to install, easy to use and doesn't take up too much memory or processing time.

It has been reliable and unobtrusive so far.

There are lots of similar products so it might be worth shopping round and keeping up to date as some security software can develop problems.
on 24 February 2014
But in my case it really did take ages to load and update - over 1 and half hours in total Not sure whether this was because I have so much going on on my laptop but I would recommend not loading this up on a day you have some deadlines to meet!
Other than that pretty straightforward and easy to use.
Like most of these products when its scanning computer does seem to slow a little, but its a small price to pay to avoid all the potential viruses out there which we are told will bring our systems to their knees!

I have used Mcafee in the past and the one thing i did not like was after my year registration ran out - and I opted to go to norton as they were cheaper at the time - i kept getting incessant messages on my system from mcafee reminding me that it had run out. I hope the same doesnt happen here, but i suspect that's an automated thing with all systems (NB i only had a couple of messages when my norton ran out just as a comparison)
VINE VOICEon 27 April 2014
I am not all that technically gifted, so I never really know whether an antivirus protector is the best or not. This make is one of the most well known ones, so I thought I'd give it a bash. It loaded quick and easy, does lots of scanning and updating and always lets it's presence known. After the first two weeks my computer when first booting up and also when shutting down, kept configuring updates, and it became annoying having to wait for all this. I didn't know if this was coincidental or if it was anything to do with the virus protector, but it was starting to get on my nerves just the same. So I removed it for a few days, but have now loaded it on again and have had three days without all the configuring going on, so I am hoping fingers crossed that this continues. The computer is booting up and shutting down straight away now.
VINE VOICEon 13 February 2014
Easy installation, intuitive to use, and not unreasonably priced either. This works better for me than McAfee's Internet Security software, although it does seem to slow down my computer from time to time which seems to be a fairly common occurrence with this type of software package . Otherwise, the software runs fairly unobtrusively in the background doing it's job. I've had it installed on my laptop now for 3 weeks and it has rooted out a few suspect items, most of which were not harmful anyway. However, I have found that it seems to override any custom settings you make and default back to preset values each time the computer is rebooted. Not sure why, but it is annoying!! Any AV software is only as good as the manufacturers virus database, but regular updates (and there are plenty of those) should keep you out of trouble.
on 19 March 2014
McAfee's latest Antivirus package is again a solid addition to protecting your computer. Although you have the option of installing from the disc itself I always tend to prefer downloading the most up-to-date version from their website although you could install from the disc and then update the software and virus information afterwards.
McAfee have maintained an easy to use interface with minimal intrusion whilst using your computer and will protect your email and internet surfing without slowing the system down. You can of course as with previous versions perform on the fly scans or schedule them. As a regular internet surfer it's reassuring to have McAfee protect me from phishing websites as well as protect my mail but I have heard that the antiphishing function is down from last year.
on 12 February 2014
I installed this through the internet download, which took less than 20 minutes. easy process (you can install on Disc, but you need then to update the latest version, so I found it faster just to get the whole thing online. The prompt asks you for your CD key, and then away you go.

Using the product, you don’t really notice its scanning your PC after boot up, and I didn’t really notice too much of a lag when booting up the pc from cold, then loading Internet explorer. the old free to use one I had slowed this process down terribly.

Other than that, I can’t really say too much about it as I have only used it for 2 weeks. I can confirm I have no Viruses, and also, the installation scan of my PC informed me that it was clean.

Good peace of mind for the money.
on 15 May 2014
Difficult to pinpoint what this does to stand out from the crowd, if anything, or whether it's just another anti virus piece of software. I like being able to use the same one across all of my PCs and laptops, as at least it gives generic warnings for the same thing rather than one programme not liking one site and another accepting it etc.

The only thing of note is I'm seeing a lot less targeted advertising (adverts that appear on websites seemingly well out of place but which relate to sites and items you have viewed in the past) so I like the thought of my browsing history to be slightly more private.

Personally I prefer using a server software for my machines as it makes life a lot easier but I wouldn't put anyone off buying this.
VINE VOICEon 9 March 2014
McAfee have been around for a long time and, despite its namesake having gone a bit crazy, the product is still reliable, if not the best you can buy.
For 3 users for 1 year the price is competitive, and it offers some security suite features without being a full-blown one. Performance on my modern computer is good and it passes the EICAR test, but numerous professional reviews lead me to knock a star as it doesn't have the iron-strong protection performance of competitors. That said, I think it's a better bet than just relying on Windows Defender and I'm not alarmed by having it installed. It's just doing its job nicely; installation was easy and the dialogues are intuitive.