on 5 October 2013
This is OK. Its only OK. Barton Hollow was magnificent.

The Civil Wars are far greater than the sum of their parts. This album is made up of mainly decent songs sung by two individuals, sometimes at the same time. I wonder if they were even in the studio together much of the time. Barton Hollow on the other hand was two voices making sublime magic together.

Both are decent singers, but there are a thousand and one decent singers on the planet. The only worthwhile exception on this album, to my ear, is the haunting Disarm, which does sound like a proper duet.

I sincerely wish that Joy and John Paul gather their respective toys from outside the pram and go back to working together making wonderful music, rather than just cashing in on their previous efforts. Either that or decide they cannot work together and chuck the whole thing in.

If you looking for one Civil Wars album to buy, this isn't it. If you already have Barton Hollow, it may be better to remember them that way.
on 2 October 2013
They may not be ' Civil ' any longer ??? ' but while they were,they really were something very special. I had never heard of them before ( probably because I'm not, or ever will be a ' Country fan ' ) but I heard ' Billy Jean ' and was amazed. This is one of those ( for me anyway ) very rare songs where everything works to perfection, the title, the lyrics, the music, and the harmony, ( and the remarkable voices of Joy Williams and John Paul ).

I bought and downloaded both Albums, this one and ' Barton Hollow ' and considering I'm not a 'Country' fan I have to say I'm very glad I did, I have been listening a lot to both and they are excellent. In my opinion ' The Civil Wars ' are up there with the best, their harmonies are ' magical '.

Kind regards Utopian9
on 31 August 2013
I was a bit apprehensive about this album as Barton Hallow was such an amazing album and a lot to live up to. I was definitely not disappointed. The songwriting on this is some of the best I've come across. There is more of a band vibe rather than a duo vibe that I personally really like. Not just 'two singers and a guitar' this time, a lot more full band songs. The first single 'The One That Got Away' has one let down. It is mainly Joy singing with JP adding some backing vocals, instead of the trademark harmonies and bouncing lines off one another that can be found on songs like 'Same Old Same Old' and 'From This Valley'. Maybe the biggest let down is the lack of 'new' material as such. Most of the songs where written from 2010 to 2012, before the hiatus, and a lot of them have been performed live on numerous occasions. This may not bode well for any come back. As a huge fan I hope to see them writing, performing and touring together in the, hopefully, near future.
on 28 August 2013
Loved Barton Hollow and this is even better. The vibe is the same - kind of Southern country rock - and their unmistakable harmonies still soar with tales of love and heartbreak, but the arrangements and orchestration are fuller and more weighty somehow.It's not overproduced but has more the feel of a studio album than Barton Hollow did for me - I always felt I was right there with them singing out in the Midwest somewhere! I can't stop playing this album :-)
on 11 October 2013
I guess it was always going to be a slight let down after their
brilliant first album, the fact they they have made a second album
comes as some surprise after all the stories about them splitting up,
anyway I still found it enjoyable to listen to just does not have the
impact of the first album.
on 27 July 2014
Ironic that the partnership should end in Civil War. I guess we will never really know what happened between these two. But when they were together,they were a great musical double-act - shame their personal stuff got in the way, happens to so many bands and collaborations, but this is one made the more poignant because this album shows so much more of their writing/performing potential. Really enjoyed it.
on 3 October 2013
Perhaps it's a hangover from missing seeing them live when they cancelled some of the shows on the last English tour but the uncanny blending of their voices which was such a distinctive feature of the Civil Wars sound seems to be not quite there. Rather it seems like these are two, still brilliant, individual performances. Even the cover brings a sense of unease to the proceedings but this actually makes it a better companion piece to the first CD than it would had it been if it were more of the same so to speak. Lets hope it's not the last word.
on 18 June 2017
OK but not as good as their other CD
on 28 August 2013
Civil Wars as a phrase suggests discord and aggression yet this duo are incredible harmonious. Having purchased their first album and continually enjoyed their blending of the voice, I was keen to purchase this album. Although it is a great album I prefer the first one - I think maybe because this album is a bit more aggressive in song choice and I miss the harmonics.
on 16 November 2014
Just utterly brilliant duo. Just do not know how they manage to mix two completely different voices and sounds and yet give their sound that magic, but they do! For me one of the greatest duos around. I am gutted they will no longer be singing together. Fantastic album. Just utterly brilliant.